How to fix Hulu Windows 10 app not working
Steps to fix Hulu app issues on PC
- Check if Hulu is Down
- Open the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
- Reboot Your Desktop or Laptop
- Reinstall Hulu
- Turn Off DRM
- Close Background Software
- Update the Hulu App
- Connect Router With an Ethernet Cable
- Switch Off Other Wi-Fi Devices
- Temporarily Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall
Hulu is a video-streaming service that you can watch TV shows with within its app or a browser. The Windows 10 Hulu app doesn’t always work, however, as some users have stated that the app doesn’t play any videos for them. Hulu streaming errors aren’t entirely uncommon for Windows devices. If your Hulu app’s video streaming isn’t working, check out some of the potential fixes for it below.
What to do if Hulu won’t work on Windows 10
1. Check if Hulu is Down
“Playback Failure” is one of the Hulu app’s streaming error messages. That error message is usually due to a server outage. Thus, it might be the case that there’s an ongoing Hulu server outage, which you can’t really resolve yourself.
To check if the Hulu server is down, open this page on Is It Down Right Now? That page tells you if there’s something up with the Hulu server. At the time of writing, the page’s server status check states, “Hulu.com is up and reachable.” However, some U.S. users have recently stated there that Hulu is still down in a few regions. If that page states that Hulu.com is generally down, then you’ll probably just need to wait one or two days until Hulu restores the server.
- RELATED: How to fix Hulu issues on Xbox One
2. Open the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
The Windows Store Apps troubleshooter is one that can fix Windows 10 apps that don’t work. So that troubleshooter might provide a fix for your Hulu app. You can open the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter as follows.
- Press the Type here to search Windows 10 taskbar button to open Cortana.
- Enter the keyword ‘troubleshoot’ in the text box to search for the troubleshoot system settings.
- Click Troubleshoot to open the Settings app’s troubleshooter list.
- Select Windows Store Apps and press the Run troubleshooter button to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Then you can go through the troubleshooter’s suggested fixes if it provides any.
3. Reboot Your Desktop or Laptop
Your Windows 10 desktop or laptop might not have correctly configured the connection settings when you started it. As such, restarting Windows 10 might fix the Hulu app. Select to shut down your desktop or laptop from the Start menu, and then unplug it for about a minute or so. In addition, you can also unplug your router or modem for about a minute. Plug the router and Windows 10 device back in. Then start your desktop or laptop and run Hulu.
4. Reinstall Hulu
A fresh Hulu app with a clear data cache might stream video just fine. So reinstalling the app could be the resolution you’re looking for. This is how you can reinstall the Windows 10 Huluapp.
- Open the Cortana search box.
- Enter ‘apps‘ in the search box, and select to open Apps & features.
- Next, select the Hulu app and press its Uninstall button.
- Then open this MS Store page in your browser.
- Press the Get button there to reinstall the Hulu Windows 10 app.
5. Turn Off DRM
Some Hulu media content with DRM (Digital Rights Management) restrictions might not playback unless you turn off DRM. To turn off the DRM, open the Hulu app. Click the Settings button and the gear icon. Then you can toggle the SW DRM off.
6. Close Background Software
Background software can also have an impact on Hulu video streams. Antivirus utilities with firewalls are perhaps the most likely background software to stop Hulu playing videos altogether, and other programs might at least slow down the load times. So close background programs before running the Hulu app. You can close programs that aren’t not on the Windows taskbar with Task Manager as follows.
- Right-click the taskbar and select Task Manager on the context menu.
- Then select software listed under apps and click End Task to close it.
- Some third-party software might also be listed under background processes along. So have a look for software under background processes and close listed programs there.
- If you can’t close your antivirus utility via the Processes tab, click the Start-up tab.
- Then select the antivirus utility on the Start-up tab, and press the Disable button. That will remove the antivirus software from the Windows startup.
- Restart Windows and run Hulu.
7. Update the Hulu App
Software updates often provide bug and crash fixes. So it might be worth checking for Hulu app updates. This is how you can update the Hulu app.
- Click the Microsoft Store shortcut on the Start menu to open that app.
- Click the … (See more) button at the top right of the app’s window.
- Select Downloads and updates to open a list of app recent updates.
- Click the Get updates button to check for updates. Then a Hulu app update might automatically download.
8. Connect Router With an Ethernet Cable
If you’re utilizing Hulu via a Wi-Fi connection, consider switching to an Ethernet connection. An Ethernet cable can provide a more stable connection. So connect your PC and router with an Ethernet cable if you have one. Then try watching video in Hulu to see if Ethernet makes a difference.
9. Switch Off Other Wi-Fi Devices
If you only have limited bandwidth, other Wi-Fi device users can have a big impact on Hulu video streams. So make sure that no other Wi-Fi device is on when you’re utilizing Hulu. That will ensure there’s nobody else hogging network bandwidth when you try to watch programs with Hulu.
10. Temporarily Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall
Firewalls can block content playback for Hulu and other streaming apps if they’re not configured not to. So turn the Windows Defender Firewall off before you run Hulu to ensure it’s not getting in the way off playback. Follow the guidelines below to temporarily turn off the firewall.
- Open the Cortana search box.
- Enter ‘Windows Defender Firewall’ in the search box.
- Click Windows Defender Firewall to open the Control Panel settings shown directly below.
- Click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off to modify the firewall settings.
- Select both Turn off Windows Defender Firewall options, and click the OK button.
- Then open the Hulu app, and try playing a video stream.
- You can always turn the firewall back on when required by selecting the Turn on Windows Defender Firewall options in the Windows Defender Firewall Control Panel applet.
Those fixes might repair the Hulu app so that it streams video. Some of those resolutions might also fix Hulu playback in browsers. For further details on how to fix video streaming in Windows 10, check out this article.
Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 at the beginning of 2020. Then the software giant will stop releasing patch updates for Win 7. As such, […]
In the past, if you wanted to watch a movie at home, you had to use a clunky DVD player and the TV you had […]
It seems like 2019 is going to be a busy year for the Surface team and Microsoft. The tech giant has the most interesting update […]