What bugs does KB4480966 bring? We found 8 and counting
The newest Patch Tuesday update for Windows 10 v1803 bears the code name KB4480966. This is a security-focused patch that adds a series of improvements and fixes to various Windows OS components such as PowerShell, the Edge browser, Microsoft Virtualization and more.
For more information about the complete changelog, you can check out Microsoft’s official update page.
Unfortunately, this patch also brings quite a few issues of its own. There are already four known issues listed on the support page. Unfortunately, the list of potential bugs does not end here.
In this quick report, we’ll list all the known issues affecting KB4480966, as well as some of the most common bugs reported by users. In this way, you’ll know what to expect. Let’s dive right in.
KB4480966 known issues
- After you install the August Preview of Quality Rollup or September 11, 2018 .NET Framework update, instantiation of SqlConnection can throw an exception. Microsoft is working on a fix. If we’re lucky, we might get it with the upcoming Patch Tuesday edition.
- Some users cannot pin a web link on the Start menu or the taskbar. Again, the big M is working on a fix.
- The cluster service may fail to start with the error “2245 (NERR_PasswordTooShort)” if the Group Policy “Minimum Password Length” is configured with greater than 14 characters. As a workaround, you can set the domain default “Minimum Password Length” policy to less than or equal to 14 characters.
- Third-party applications may have difficulty authenticating hotspots. The good news is that a hotfix is scheduled for release in mid-January.
And now, let’s see what issues users have reported so far.
KB4480966 reported bugs
Windows DLL file flagged as malware
Some anti-malware tools may flag d2d1.dll as being a Trojan agent.
Hitman Pro find C:WindowsSysWOW64d2d1.dll Malware ( > Bitdefender . . . : Trojan.Agent.DNAY)
C:WindowsWinSxSwow64_microsoft-windows-d2d_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.17134.523_none_93af86c5e6560604d2d1.dll -> Quarantined
If you’re getting similar alerts –irrespective of the anti-malware solution that you’re using — rest assured, there is nothing to worry about. This is a false positive. D2d1.dll is a legit Windows system file. Most likely, the DLL has been modified in the update. As a result, the new version does not appear in some security software databases trigerring this Trojan alert.
Some system may fail to recognize this update if installed manually. Consequently, the respective PCs may throw error 0x80070057, as this user reports.
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4480966) – Error 0x80070057
I have manually updated but the updater doesn’t recognize the manual update. I really do not want to manually update my pc for every subsequent update. Why is this not recognizing the manual update or actually updating?
Database format unrecognized
This is an issue that’s affecting all the January 2019 Patch Tuesday updates, irrespective of the OS version that you’re running.
I have many sites using my VB6 app that uses MDBs. Since Windows update KB 4480966 was rolled out yesterday they are all getting an “unrecognizable database format” error at various parts of my program. It can load the database for some parts of the program but not others presumably based on the different tables being accessed.
As a workaround, you can simply uninstall the update and reinstall it after Microsoft has deployed a permanent fix for this issue.
Update error 0x800f080d
Quite a few users could not install KB4480966 due to error code 0x800f080d.
So i’ve been trying to troubleshoot this using the troubleshooting section of my settings and I can’t seem to figure it out. My error code is 0x800f080d, and the update I’m trying to download is (KB4480966).
While we don’t have a specific solution for this problem, you may try to use the troubleshooting methods available in the guides below. Maybe some of them will work for you.
- Fix Windows Update errors with Microsoft’s dedicated tool
- FIX: Windows Update cannot check for updates, the service is not running
These are some of the most common KB4480966 bugs. If you encountered other errors or problems after installing this update, let us know in the comments below.
RELATED POSTS TO CHECK OUT:
- FIXED: Keyboard and Mouse Not Working after Windows 10 Update
- FIX: Start Button not Working After Windows 10 Update
- How to fix performance issues after installing Patch Tuesday updates
Google Chrome is the most popular browser out there. It is a reliable tool to surf the Internet and has many great features. However, nothing […]
Uplay is an amazing game distribution platform created by Ubisoft. It can be used to buy and download games as well as DLCs. It can […]