FIX: Windows Update cannot check for updates, the service is not running
What to do if Windows cannot check for updates
- Run Windows update troubleshooter
- Reset Windows update settings
- Update RST driver
- Clear your Windows update history and restart the Windows update service
- Restart the Windows update service
- Reset Windows update repository
- Use system restore point
- Temporarily disable anti-virus and firewall protection
Most of Windows updates address security issues. These are the worst possible problems as they may be exploited by malware or hackers.
There are times when you might encounter an error while checking for updates, such as: ‘Windows update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running’.
Even if you restart your computer and try again, you will face the same error. If this is the case, keep on reading this guide in order to find out what’s the right solution to your problem.
SOLVED: Windows Update cannot check for updates automatically
Solution 1: Run the Windows update troubleshooter
Windows has a built-in troubleshooter that can help you check and fix issues with Windows Update. It is always a good method to consider whenever you encounter any problem running Windows Update.
In order to do this:
- Type troubleshoot in Windows Search bar and click on Troubleshooting
- Click Fix problems with Windows Update and then Next
- Restart your computer and again try to install the updates
You can also run the Update troubleshooter from the Settings page.
Solution 2: Turn off Windows Update
Turning Windows Update off and then on through Control Panel has fixed this error for many users because it resets any inconsistent settings of Windows Update. To do that on older Windows versions:
- Click on Windows Update in the search results and then click on Change Settings
- Under Important updates select Never check for updates and click OK
- Go to the Windows update settings window again and select Install updates automatically and click OK.
The steps to follow may be a bit different on newer Windows 10 versions. Irrespective of the steps to follow, you need to turn off Windows Update, restart your computer and then turn the service back on.
For more information on how to block updates on the latest Windows 10 versions, use these guides:
Solution 3: Update RST driver
This error could appear as a result of your RST (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) driver being outdated, corrupted or missing.
Thus, you should update your RST driver manually by going to the official Intel website, and searching for the most recent correct driver.
Please make sure you choose the drivers that are compatible with your version of Windows.
Solution 4: Clear your Windows update history
The Software Distribution folder stores temporary files for Windows Update.
You may get the error due to corruption issues with these files. A good solution is to remove the content of this folder. In order to do this, please follow the steps described below:
- Press Windows + R keys in order to open Run command box
- Type services.msc and click OK
- Right-click on Windows Update and then click Stop
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:Windows folder
- Find and delete the Software Distribution folder
- Go back to the windows Control panel, right-click on Windows Update service and select Start
- Restart your computer and then run Windows Update
Solution 5: Restart the Windows update service
If any of the .dll files involved with Windows Update is not correctly registered, you may also encounter this problem. So please follow the steps below to register the Windows Update service:
- Press the Windows + R keys to invoke the Run box
- Type services.msc and click OK
- Find and right-click on Windows Update and select Stop
- Click the Start button, type cmd in the search box and then right click on cmd to select Run as administrator
- Type the following commands and press Enter after each:
- regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
- regsvr32 wups2.dll
- regsvr32 wucltux.dll
- regsvr32 wuwebv.dll
- regsvr32 wups.dll
- regsvr32 wuapi.dll
- Click OK when prompted
- Restart the Windows Update service on your computer
- Press the Windows + R keys to invoke the Run box, type services.msc and click OK
- Find and right-click on Windows Update and select Start
- Restart your computer and try to perform Windows Update
Solution 6: Reset Windows Update repository
If none of the above described methods functioned, you may want to try a reset of the Windows Update repository. In order to do this, please follow the steps described below:
- Click Start and type cmd
- Right click CMD and choose Run As Administrator
- Type the following commands and press Enter after each one of them:
- net stop bits
- net stop wuauserv
- Open a Windows Explorer window and navigate to %WINDIR% (e.g., normally C:Windows)
- Rename SoftwareDistribution to SoftwareDistribution.old
- Return to the elevated Command Prompt and type these commands:
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
- Restart your computer
Solution 7: Use a system restore point
When you finish the system restore, Windows will restart and launch Windows Update for new installation of updates.
Solution 8: Temporarily disable antivirus/firewall
Your antivirus program can sometimes stop the Windows Update service. So, temporarily disable it and then check for updates.
Whether the solution works or not, enable your computer protection as soon as possible.
All in all, we hope the solutions listed above helped you solve your problem. Also, feel free to share other methods you tried they helped you to fix this issue.
- FIX: Windows Update Service registration is missing or corrupt
- How to fix Windows Update error 0x80070057 once and for all
- Fix Windows Update error 0x80070003: 5 methods that really work
- FIX: Failure Configuring Windows Updates, Reverting Changes
As more and more business are moving into the online territories, it has become increasingly important to offer great user experience to the users who […]
Sometimes, your web browser may not work properly with the VMRC resulting authentication or connection error. This issue can occur due to several reasons including […]