Norton Antivirus is fully compatible with Windows 10 starting with version 126.96.36.199 released on July 20, 2015. The antivirus doesn’t support Windows 10 builds, but other than that you shouldn’t encounter errors or bugs when running Norton on Windows 10.
Since the world is not perfect, sometimes users do report Norton errors which prevent them from using the antivirus on Windows 10.
How can I fix Norton errors on windows 10? The most simple solution is to download Norton’s fix tool. More often than not, problems with Norton appear after a partial or a faulty installation. If this doesn’t solve your problem, run the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool or check the Network proxy settings.
Below, we’ll list the most frequent Norton antivirus errors users can encounter, as well as the available fixes.
What to do if I have Norton problems on Windows 10:
- Can’t find Norton in Windows 10
- Norton antivirus won’t launch
- Install an updated version of your Norton product for Windows 10 message
- Norton error: 8504, 104
- Norton error: 3048,3
- Norton errors 8506,421 and 3039,65559
- Norton error 8505, 129
1. Can’t find Norton in Windows 10
- Download Norton’s fix tool.
- Right-click on the exe. file and select Run as Administrator
- A windows will appear, informing you that an updated version of Norton Antivirus is about to be installed
- Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.
If the update window doesn’t appear, go to your Norton account and install the antivirus from there:
- Login to your account
- Go to Setup > Download Norton
- Click Agree & Download.
2. Norton antivirus won’t launch
- Download the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool. If you have Norton Family, uninstall the program before you download this tool.
- Double-click the tool‘s icon > accept the license terms.
- Click Remove & Reinstall > select Continue.
- Click Restart Now to finish the uninstall process.
- After the restart, follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall your Norton antivirus.
3. Install an updated version of your Norton product for Windows 10 message
- Download Norton‘s fix tool and run it as described above.
- Download the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool, and follow the steps mentioned above.
4. Norton error: 8504, 104
It’s likely to encounter this error if you’re running another security program, or if installation errors slipped when upgrading the antivirus.
- Use the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool and run it to remove Norton.
- Uninstall any-non Symantec security tools:
- Go to Control Panel > Uninstall or change a program and remove all non-Symantec related programs.
- Update the Video graphics driver:
5. Norton error: 3048,3
This error appears when the latest Norton antivirus update hasn’t been downloaded.
- Launch Norton.
- Go to Security > LiveUpdate.
- Wait for the update to finish and click OK.
- Run LiveUpdate until the message “Your Norton product has the latest protection updates” appears to the screen.
- Restart the computer.
- If the actions listed above don’t solve your issue, run the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool.
6. Norton errors 8506,421 and 3039,65559
- Restart your computer.
- Run the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool and follow the on-screen indications to remove the antivirus and install it again.
- If this doesn’t solve the problem, download and run Norton Power Eraser:
- Double click the NPE.exe file.
- Click Yes or Continue > accept the license agreement.
- In the Norton Power Eraser window, select Unwanted Application Scan.
When the scan is complete, the results are displayed in the Unwanted Apps Scan Complete window.
- Click Uninstall and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Restart the computer.
7. Norton error 8505, 129
Check the Network proxy settings
- Type “Internet options” in the search bar and then press Enter > the Internet options window is launched.
- Go to the Connections tab > select LAN settings.
- In the LAN settings box, ensure that none of the Proxy server boxes are selected.
- Click OK > Apply > OK.
Configure network connection settings on Windows
- Go to Network and sharing center
- Right-click the active network adapter > left-click Properties.
- In the Network Connection Properties window > go to This connection uses the following items > click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) or Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Click Properties.
- In the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server boxes, type the two Norton ConnectSafe IP addresses:
- Preferred DNS: 188.8.131.52
- Alternate DNS: 184.108.40.206
- Click OK.
- If this action doesn’t solve the issue, run a scan with Norton Power Eraser.
A good antivirus is very important if you care about your privacy and security. Norton is one of the best, but if you encounter any issues with it, be sure to solve them as soon as possible.
Also, if you are a Norton user, feel free to tell us in the comments section below what errors have you found and how did you solved them.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness