- The PC error code 601 that appears on HP laptops indicates an issue with your battery.
- A simple method to fix this is to unplug and plug back the hardware that generated the issue.
- This error is an HP battery alert, so, make sure to run a test for this component before starting your laptop.
- If nothing works, replace the battery in order to solve the Primary internal battery 601 error.
HP desktop/laptops are one of the most popular PC products in the tech world today. However, one of the issues many HP users encounter is the PC error code 601.
This error is a primary (internal) battery problem; it indicates that the storage capacity of the PC battery is extremely low and should be replaced.
Although, the HP battery alert is a good feature, however, the warning message asks users to replace the PC battery when the battery condition is good or even when it is a newly purchased battery.
Meanwhile, we at Windows Report have come up with solutions on how to fix PC error code 601 on your HP PC and tips on how to maintain your system’s battery.
How do I fix HP PC error code 601?
1. Re-insert the battery
- Turn off your PC.
- Unplug your laptop from the power supply and remove your battery.
- After removing the battery, press and hold the power button down for at least 25 seconds.
- Insert your battery back into your PC and plug in your power cord.
- Now, turn on your laptop.
The simplest way of fixing PC error code 601 is to remove the battery and insert it again on your PC. After turning on your laptop, you can check if the error message still occurs.
2. Run a battery test
- Turn off your HP computer.
- Now, turn on your PC and hit the ESC key to open the Startup Menu.
- In the Startup Menu display, hit the F2 key to launch the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics menu.
- Click Component Tests in the main menu.
- In the list of Component Tests, click Power.
- In the list of Power Tests, select Battery.
- On the Battery Test, click Run once. The Battery Test begins.
- Follow the wizard to manage your computer’s battery.
Battery test is a process in the System diagnostics that enables HP users to check their PC for battery performance in order to optimize usage.
Depending on the message you see at the end of the test, if the battery did not pass the test, you may need to calibrate or replace it. More details can be found on the HP support page.
3. Run the PC without the battery
- Firstly, shut down your PC
- Unplug your laptop from the power supply and remove your battery
- After removing the battery, press and hold the power button down for 20 seconds.
- Now, plug in the power cord into your PC without the battery.
- Finally, boot your PC and check if the issue still persists.
Another method of clearing PC error code 601 in HP computers is to run your PC without the battery.
4. Replace your PC battery
In addition, you may consider replacing your laptop’s battery because the battery life may have decreased over time due to certain reasons.
You can purchase a genuine HP battery from HP’s certified retailers, Amazon, and other reputable computer stores near you.
However, ensure that the battery is brand new and not foiled; this will prevent using a damaged battery that may affect your PC performance.
Any of the fixes mentioned above can be used to solve the PC error code 601 on HP computers. We have come up with some tips on how to increase and maintain the lifespan of your laptop’s battery.
To maximize your laptop’s battery life and increase its lifespan, when your laptop is fully charged, unplug the power adapter and use it with battery power.
Moreover, discharge the battery to 70 percent and remove the battery if you plan to store the computer (turned off and not plugged into AC power) for more than one month.
If you are using your laptop at home, remove the battery, and use it with a power adapter, turn off apps and processes utilizing high CPU usage, and activate your PC’s power saver mode or Eco mode.
Furthermore, disconnect any attached laptop accessories (Wi-Fi adapter, Bluetooth, mouse, and other external devices) that you are not using. Keep your laptop cool and avoid direct sunlight.
If you consider your laptop needs to be changed, we recommend you to get any of these great HP laptops with best battery life, so you won’t be dealing with this error soon.
Hope this article and the methods we listed here helped you address the HP PC error code 601.
In case you have alternative solutions or, possibly, questions regarding the aforementioned ones, tell us in the comments section below. We look forward to hearing from you.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a battery error that might appear on HP laptops. Take a look at our guide on how to fix error code 601.
If your laptop does not want to connect to the network, use our guide on how to fix Wi-Fi issues on HP laptops.
They have great and quality options that you can choose from. Check our guide with the best HP gaming laptops and get the one you like.