- The HP battery alert with error code 601 indicates an issue with your battery.
- A simple and effective method to fix this is to unplug and plug back your battery.
- If nothing works, replace the battery to get past the error.
HP laptops are one of the most popular PC products in the tech world today. However, one of the issues many HP users encounter is the battery alert with error code 601.
This error indicates that the storage capacity of the PC battery is extremely low. In some cases, however, it can be a false alert and disrupts users’ activities.
This guide will show you how to get rid of the HP battery alert error 601 for good.
What is HP battery Error 601?
The HP battery alert post error code 601 means that the system has detected that the stated storage capacity of your battery is at least 25% lower than the original battery. This means that your battery is not holding charge as it should and is seriously malfunctioning.
Below are some of the causes of this error:
- Faulty battery: The apparent cause of the HP battery alert on startup, even with low temperature, is a defective battery. In this case, the best thing to do is to replace the battery or calibrate it if it is still manageable.
- Outdated BIOS: In some cases, even if it is rare, an outdated BIOS can cause your PC to raise a false alarm. All you need to do here is to update your BIOS from the manufacturer’s website.
How can I fix the HP battery alert?
Before making changes to your PC in a bid to fix this issue, we recommend performing the below checks to see if they eliminate the error:
- Turn off your PC, remove the battery, and press and hold the power button for about 25 seconds before reinserting it.
- Use the PC without a battery.
- Download and install the latest BIOS update from the manufacturer’s website
If you are still getting the HP battery alert after these checks, you can now proceed to the fix below:
- Turn off your HP computer.
- Now, turn on your PC and hit the ESC key to open the Startup Menu.
- In the Startup Menu display, hit the F2 key to launch the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics menu.
- Click Component Tests in the main menu.
- In the list of Component Tests, click Power.
- In the list of Power Tests, select Battery.
- On the Battery Test, click Run once. The Battery Test begins.
- Follow the wizard to manage your computer’s battery.
Battery test is a process in the System diagnostics that enables HP users to check their PC for battery performance to optimize usage.
If the battery fails the test, then it is the cause of the HP alert with the error code 601. The best thing is to replace the battery to enjoy using the PC again.
You can also calibrate it if it is still usable for some time.
The HP battery alert 601 can be frustrating. But the test above will tell you if it is a false alarm or if your b truly needs to be replaced.
If you want to change your PC, check out the great HP laptops with the best battery life so that you won’t be dealing with this error soon.
Feel free to share the test result with us in the comments below, and also let us know if any of the preliminary checks helped fix the issue for you.