How to fix RTKVHD64.sys system errors on Windows 10
The RTKVHD64.sys error is a blue screen error that usually occurs when you play video, games or albums. The blue screen error message states, “SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION STOP 0×0000003B RTKVHD64.sys.” This is a system error occurs when Realtek audio devices stop working, and it can be due to corrupted system files, invalid registry entries, malware or an outdated audio driver. Here are a few potential resolutions for the RTKVHD64.sys BSOD error.
Fix RTKVHD64.sys errors on PC
1. Run a Malware Scan
Malware that corrupts system files is a culprit for BSOD errors. As such, an anti-virus scan can feasibly resolve the RTKVHD64.sys error. You can utilize the revamped Windows Defender in Windows 10 to scan for malware if you don’t already have third-party anti-virus software installed.
- Click the Cortana button on Windows 10’s taskbar to open that app.
- Input the keyword ‘Windows Defender’ in the search box.
- Select Windows Defender to open the window shown below.
- Click the shield icon on the left of the window.
- Click Advanced scan to open further options.
- Select the Full scan option for the most extensive scan.
- Press the Scan now button to start the anti-virus scan.
Alternatively, add a freeware anti-virus utility to Windows. Malwarebytes has a freeware version that you can add to Windows by clicking the Free Download button on this homepage. You can purge malware with the freeware version, but you’ll need to upgrade to Malwarebytes Premium to utilize all the software’s options and tools. Malwarebytes 3.0 is the next-gen security program that protects you from the most advanced (zero-day) threats, making antivirus obsolete.
2. Scan the Windows Registry
Invalid registry entries are another factor for the RTKVHD64.sys error and other blue screen issues. Scanning the registry with effective utility software can resolve such issues. A registry cleaner is one notable utility that Windows lacks, but you can take your pick from numerous third-party registry scanners. This is how you can scan the registry with CCleaner.
- Click Download on this website page to save the freeware CCleaner installer to your hard drive. Open CCleaner’s saved setup wizard to install the utility software.
- Open the CCleaner window shown in the snapshot directly below.
- Click Registry to open the registry cleaner tool.
- Select all the check boxes for the most thorough registry scan.
- Press Scan for issues to initiate a preliminary scan.
- Then press the Fix selected issues button to initiate the primary scan.
- A dialog box window will ask to back up the registry. As this is reliable software, it’s not essential to press the Yes button.
- Press the Fix All Selected Issues button to delete registry values.
3. Repair Files With the System File Checker
The System File Checker is a Windows tool that repairs and restores corrupted system files. Corrupted system files are often responsible for various BSOD errors. As such, it’s worth running an SFC scan as follows.
- Press the Win key + X hotkey in Windows 10 or 8 to open the Win + X menu.
- Click Command Prompt (Admin) to open an elevated Command Prompt.
- Before you utilize the SFC tool, enter ‘DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth’ in the Command Prompt and press Return. Restart Windows if the DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) tool makes any changes.
- Reopen the Command Prompt, and input ‘sfc /scannow’ in the Prompt’s window.
- Press the Enter key to initiate the SFC scan, which might take 20-30 minutes.
- Restart Windows if the SFC scan informs you that it repaired files.
4. Update the Realtek Driver
As RTKVHD64.sys is a Realtek Audio Driver file, updating an antiquated Realtek sound card driver is a probable fix for the RTKVHD64.sys error. Windows automatically updates some drivers, but you can’t rely on the OS to keep them all up-to-date. This is how you can update drivers manually and automatically with the Device Manager in Windows.
- To open Device Manager, press the Win key + X hotkey. Select Device Manager on the menu to open its window.
- Double-click Sound, video and game controllers to expand a list of devices for that category.
- Right-click Realtek High Definition Audio and select Update driver to open the window shown in the snapshot directly below.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software to automatically update a driver.
- Even if Windows doesn’t find new driver software, the Realtek website might still include a better driver. This web page on the Realtek website includes a list of audio drivers for Windows.
- Click the Global link beside a compatible audio driver to download it from that site.
- Reopen the Update Drivers window, and select the Browse my computer for driver software option.
- Press the Browse button, and select the folder that includes the update Realtek driver.
- Press the Next button.
- Alternatively, double-click the new driver’s installer in File Explorer to open it.
5. Roll Windows Back to a Restore Point
If the RTKVHD64.sys error occurred after recently installing some new hardware or software, a restore point could be a potential fix. The System Restore tool will undo any modifications to system files, restore deleted system scripts and remove software installed after the selected restore point. So the System Restore can be a magic wand for fixing blue screen errors. This is how you can revert Windows back to a restore point.
- Select to open Run from the Win + X menu.
- Enter ‘rstrui’ in the text box, and press the OK button.
- Click Next on the System Restore window to open a list of restore points.
- Select the Show more restore points option to expand the list.
- Choose a restore point that predates the RTKVHD64.sys BSOD error.
- Press the Next button, and click Finish to restore Windows to the selected restore point.
Those are some of the more effective fixes for the RTKVHD64.sys error. Some of the above resolutions might also fix other BSOD errors in Windows. This article also provides further general fixes for blue screen issues.
Emails are wonderful as they enable us to discuss things in detail. While it’s true chatting platforms help us discuss things in real time, that […]
Folks, there’s a new Windows 10 Insider Preview build in town. This release packs many interesting new features and bug fixes, but as always, it […]
In the past, DJs used to carry large crates of vinyl records and spent hours at the records store choosing their music one vinyl at […]