FIX: VPN error 809 on Windows 10
VPN error 809 is usually caused when a firewall between the client and server blocks the ports that a VPN tunnel uses. Additionally, and by default, Windows doesn’t support IPsec NAT-T security associations to servers behind a NAT device.
NAT devices have a way of translating network traffic, and because of this, you may get errors when you put a server behind a NAT device and use the IPsec NAT-T environment.
Some of the symptoms of VPN error 809 include the error message you receive, and if you’re using the L2TP protocol, you cannot connect so the error is displayed saying, “The network connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be established.”
When the error appears, the event log too won’t display any related logs because the traffic won’t reach the MX’s WAN interface.
To resolve VPN error 809, here are some solutions you can try.
FIX: VPN error 809
- Enable the ports on your firewall/router
- Add a value to the Windows registry
- Disable Xbox Live Networking services
- Check PAP settings
1. Enable the ports on your firewall/router
Usually, VPN error 809 manifests by the PPTP port (TCP 1723), or port L2TP or IKEv2 port (UDP port 500 or 4500) blocked by a firewall or router.
The solution is to enable the port on the firewall or your router. If this is not possible, deploy the SSTP or OpenVPN based VPN tunnel on your VPN provider.
This allows the VPN connection to work across the firewall, NAT and web proxies.
2. Add a value to the Windows registry
If you get VPN error 809 when trying to establish your VPN connection, and your MX is located behind a NAT, the solution to this is to add the AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule” DWORD value to the Windows registry.
This lets Windows operating system establish security associations when your VPN’s server and the computer client are behind NAT devices.
For Windows 10, do this:
- Right click start and select Run
- Type regedit and press enter
- Find this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesPolicyAgent
- RegValue: AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule
- Type DWORD
- Change the data value to 2. Once you create the key, restart your computer.
Note: some third party network apps can cause VPN error 809, like SmartByte, so disabling it can also fix the problem and let your VPN connect again.
Note: In case you want a VPN tool that works like a charm, We recommend you Cyberghost. Install now Cyberghost VPN (currently discounted) and secure yourself. It protects your PC from attacks while browsing, masks your IP address and blocks all unwanted access.
CyberGhost also released the 7-th version for Windows, with a lot of new security features so we suggest you to try it out.
3. Disable Xbox Live Networking services
Sometimes your antivirus can be incompatible with Windows 10 causing it to break IPsec connections. A Windows 10 service may block access to the L2TP/IPsec VPN so to resolve this and prevent VPN error 809, do this:
- Type services in the search box
- Click on Services from search results
- Find Xbox Live Networking Services and disable it
- Check if your VPN connection works and the error 809 disappears
4. Check PAP settings
- Click Start and select Settings
- Select Network and Internet
- Click VPN on the left pane
- Click Add a VPN connection and use the following:
For VPN provider, use Windows (built-in)
For Connection Name, write anything you like as this will be shown on the interface
For Server name or address, write the external hostname of your VPN
For VPN type, choose L2TP/IPsec
For Type of sign-in info, select Username and password
For Username/Password/Remember me: set as required as these are optional
- Click Save
- Select Change adapter options
- Right click the connection you created and select Properties
- Under Security tab, click Advanced Settings
- Click Use pre-shared key
- Enter the PSK and click OK
- Set Data encryption to Maximum Strength
- Under Authentication, select Allow these protocols
- Tick the PAP box only
- Restart your computer
- Disable the service of Xbox Live Networking Services and see if VPN error 809 persists
Were you able to resolve the VPN error 809? Let us know in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- VPN blocked by administrator? Here’s how to fix it
- Windows 10 KB4103714 fixes Bluetooth and VPN bugs
- FIX: When VPN connects, Internet is disconnected
Live streaming is quickly becoming one of the most important ways people use to broadcast themselves online. People use live streaming to cover a wide […]
It isn’t every day that you come across a corrupted memory dump file But when you do, you will rue your luck you did. That […]