- If you own a Dell PC and are experiencing slow Internet speeds, the Smartbyte utility may be to blame.
- While the Smartbyte network service is helpful on some Dell PCs, most users prefer removing it due to its excess interference with the network.
- There are a few built-in ways you can uninstall the app, or use a reliable uninstaller tool.
While a slow Internet speed usually points to issues with the network settings, there are certain apps to blame too. However, no one would ever expect that one shipped by the manufacturer could cause issues, but SmartByte is an exception.
What is SmartByte and do I need it?
SmartByte app is shipped along with Dell devices and can be categorized as bloatware in Windows. So, if you were wondering, SmartByte Drivers and Services are not a virus.
While the app’s objective is to optimally allocate bandwidth to various network-related processes, it often ends up lowering the Internet speed.
A user reported that the Internet speed increased from 100 MBPS to 400+ MBPS after uninstalling SmartByte. For some, it may be available only as a SmartByte Network service and a driver, while others get a built-in app as well.
Most users don’t really need the app or even the related service and driver running. It’s usually found to affect the functioning of the computer, and it’s best that you uninstall SmartByte since updates released for it are yet to address the problem.
How do I remove Smartbyte.exe from my PC?
1. Via Settings
- Press Windows + I to open Settings, select Apps from the navigation pane, and click on Installed apps.
- Now, find SmartByte, click on the ellipsis next to it, and select Uninstall.
- Again, click Uninstall in the confirmation prompt.
It’s one of the simplest ways to uninstall SmartByte in Windows and shouldn’t take you more than a minute. Also, if you were facing issues earlier, we recommend restarting the computer for the changes to come into effect and for the increased Internet speed to reflect.
2. Via the Control Panel
- Press Windows + R to open Run, type appwiz.cpl in the text field, and hit Enter.
- Select SmartByte, and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Control Panel, too, offers an option to uninstall apps on the computer, but you would find a fairly smaller number listed here as compared to the Settings.
3. Use an uninstaller software
Another option, and often the preferred one, is to use an effective uninstaller software to remove SmartByte from Windows.
When you use software for the job, it will remove all related files, as well as delete the registry entries and revert other changes made by SmartByte.
Removing the app also helps fix things when you find SmartByte Telemetry to consume high disk. If you want to reinstall the app, all you need to do is perform a driver update on your Dell PC using the Dell Update feature or get it from the official website.
If you, too, have encountered issues with Smartbyte, tell us more about it in the comment section below.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.