Windows has several mechanisms for protecting itself from malware and other security threats.
It’s a well-known secret that the registry values are compromised in most of the cyber attacks. It is for this reason that Microsoft has something called as Windows Resource Protection, a tool that protects registry keys and folders apart from the critical system files.
In cases where the Windows Resource Protection file is missing or corrupted the Windows will not work as expected. The System File Checker tool can be used to scan for errors and repair the computer however if the WRP file is missing then even the SFC tool cannot be run.
Why is my PC showing ‘Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service’?
The Windows Resource Protection works in tandem with a service called Windows Modules Installer. The Windows Module Installer has complete access to the WRP.
In this case, when we try to run the WRP resources the Windows Module Installer is disabled and this the error ‘Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service’ will be displayed.
At this juncture, I would also like to mention that the SFC service sometimes needs to be run multiple times or in safe mode.
How to fix ‘Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service’ error?
One can fix the WRP error by following the steps below,
- Press Windows key+R in order to open a Run box. Now type “services.msc” in the box and then click OK.
- Once the Services window is open find the “Windows Modules Installer” and double click on the same.
- In the next step, the properties pane opens and its here that you need to select “General”
- Go to the “Startup” type drop down and select the “Manual” option. Before exiting click on “Apply” and “OK” to save the settings. Now you can exit the services Window.
- Now one needs to open the CMD by searching for the same in the Start Menu. Right-click and select the “Run as administrator.” If prompted by User Account Control click on Yes.
- Once the CMD window is open click the commands listed below and don’t forget to press “Enter” after each line.
sc config trustedinstaller start= demandnet start trustedinstaller
net start trustedinstaller
Now try to run the sfc.exe on the Windows and everything should work as intended. As an alternative approach, you may also use tools like Reimage which will repair the Windows file corruption in a single click.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT: