How to fix ‘Xinput1_3.dll is missing’ when launching a game or app
The ‘Xinput1_3.dll is missing’ error message appears when a game or software is launched. The error file is caused by an issue with Microsoft DirectX when the xinput1_3.dll dynamic link library (DLL) file is not found. However, DirectX improves PC performance for Windows based games and advanced graphics programs.
Furthermore, Microsoft’s operating systems are generally affected by xinput1_3.dll and other DirectX issues. These Operating versions include Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, the most popular OS among gamers, Windows 8, and Windows 10. However, we have compiled a list of solutions and how you can fix xinput1_3.dll errors on your Windows PC.
How to fix xinput1_3.dll is missing
- Install DirectX for the problematic program
- Update DirectX
- Reinstall the problematic program
- Update game controller drivers
Method 1: Install the DirectX version of the affected program
However, software developers usually include a copy of DirectX on the installation disc of the game/program. Installing DirectX version included on the software can fix xinput1_3.dll is missing problem. Look for DirectX installation program on your game or application CD or DVD.
Furthermore, the DirectX version that comes with your software installation package is supported on all Windows version. It will install the DirectX file needed and supported in that version of Windows. Try this fix to clear xinput1_3.dll is missing error.
Speaking of DirectX, if you’re getting DirectX error while playing Andromeda, this guide can help you to quickly fix the issues.
Method 2: Update Microsoft DirectX
In addition, upgrading your current version of Microsoft DirectX can fix the xinput1_3.dll is missing error. Download and install Microsoft latest updates to DirectX using these steps:
- First of all, go to Microsoft official DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer here.
- Select the checkbox for any additional downloads or ignore and click on “No thanks and continue”.
- Save the file to a specified path on your PC.
- Launch the setup file to install the DirectX updates and follow the prompts.
Note: Internet connection is required for this fix. After updating your current version of Microsoft DirectX, launch the affected program. This fix has been known to fix xinput1_3.dll is missing error. Do not download DirectX updates from illegal websites or websites with low reputation because of the many dangers involved.
Method 3: Reinstall the program
Furthermore, consider reinstalling the software application that displayed xinput1_3.dll is missing error. Reinstalling the corrupted program files will replace the program files including its dynamic link libraries with a fresh one. Follow these steps in order to reinstall your program:
- First of all, go to the Start menu, type “control panel” and hit the enter button.
- In the Control Panel, go to the Programs and Features menu to uninstall a program.
- Here, go through the list of installed applications and double-click on the application that produced the error. Follow the uninstallation prompts.
- If you installed using a CD, insert the CD and install afterwards. Download the application at its official download site.
- Launch the installer and follow the prompts till the installation is complete.
- Finally, run the application again
After you reinstall the program along with its components, launch the program again. This fix will solve the xinput1_3.dll is missing problem.
Method 4: Update game controller drivers
Another reason for xinput1_3.dll is missing problem is due to old graphics or game controller drivers. The software program or game application may require updated drivers to work efficiently. Update your Windows game controller drivers or graphics driver as the case may be using these steps:
- Press the “Windows” and “R” key to launch the “Run” program.
- In the Run windows, type devmgmt.msc and click “OK” to open “Device Manager”
- From the Device Manager left panel, expand the “Sound, video and game controller” category and right-click on the game controller driver.
- Select “Update Driver” and follow the prompts to apply the update.
- Finally, after the update, restart your PC.
However, the software application in question may either require game controller driver or graphics driver; use these steps to update the specified driver. Another method of updating your driver is by visiting your PC’s manufacturer website to download and install the game controller driver for your PC’s model.
Update drivers automatically (third-part tool suggested)
In case you are not sure about the driver version you find on manufacturer’s website, we strongly recommend Tweakbit’s Driver Updater tool. It automatically identifies each device on your computer and matches it with the latest driver versions from an extensive online database.
Here is how it works:
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are not free.
In conclusion, these fixes are applicable in solving the xinput1_3.dll is missing problem. Try out any of the fixes and launch the affected program again. Comment below if you have any questions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2017 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness. We want to be sure that our list has the best products that will fit your needs.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- MSVCR71.dll is missing: 3 quick solutions to get things back on track
- How to fix the “Vcruntime140.dll is missing” error in Windows
- DLL files missing after installing Windows 10 Creators Update [Fix]
Firefox has announced that it will start to warn users if they visit any breached sites. This is in an attempt to not only make […]
Oh dear. It’s been a pretty bad month for Microsoft concerning its Windows 10 October 1809 Update release. Microsoft eventually released the update a couple […]
Yesterday, Microsoft released Visual Studio 15.9. With it came the announcement that “developers now have the officially supported SDK and tools for creating 64-bit ARM […]