Full Fix: VPN does not work over 3G
If your VPN does not work over 3G, this post is meant for you. As a quick reminder, 3G, short for third generation, is the third generation of wireless mobile telecommunications technology. In addition, it is the upgrade for 2G and 2.5G GPRS networks, for faster internet speed.
Some Windows users reported that they were unable to use their VPN service over 3G. This may be due to several reasons such as blockage by telecom operator, unsupported protocols, low speed, etc.
However, if your VPN does not work over 3G, Windows Report has compiled the following solutions for you.
Fix: VPN does not work over 3G
- Check your internet connection
- Reinstall the 3G stick software (modem)
- Manually configure DNS settings
- Change your telecom operator
- Change your VPN provider service (recommended)
Solution 1: Check your internet connection
A quick fix for the VPN does not work over 3G problem is to check your internet connection. Windows users reported that limited/inactive internet connection can cause VPN problem.
Hence, you need to test your Internet connection. In order to test your internet connection, disconnect from the VPN service and try to access any website on your web browser using the 3G internet connection.
If you are unable to access the Internet while disconnected from the VPN, then you may need to consider changing your Internet connection mode to 4G, LAN, broadband or Wi-Fi connection.
Solution 2: Reinstall the 3G stick software (modem)
If your 3G connection mode is via a modem, then you may need to reinstall the stick software. This method is noted to have fixed the VPN does not work over 3G problem.
Follow these steps to reinstall your 3G software:
- Go to Start > Control Panel
- Right click Start and select Programs and Features
- Find your 3G software from the list of programs and select Uninstall
- Follow the prompts to complete uninstall of the 3G software.
- After the uninstall, insert the modem stick and follow the prompts to install the 3G software.
- Hence, connect to the internet and try to use the VPN afterwards
Note: Alternatively, you may also reinstall the VPN client on your PC, and then access the internet afterwards.
Solution 3: Manually configure DNS settings
Manually configuring your computer with other DNS server addresses fixes the VPN does not work over 3G issue, and enjoy faster connection speeds.
Some computers may not automatically connect to the VPN DNS servers; hence you need to configure it with your VPN DNS servers’ IP addresses, manually. Here’s how to do it in Windows:
Step 1: Open Network Connections settings
- Right click Start and select Run
- Type ncpa.cpl and click OK
- In Network connections window, find your usual connection.
- Right click the connection and select Properties
Step 2: Set the DNS server addresses
- Double click Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4) or just Internet Protocol
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses
- Type these Google DNS server addresses: Preferred DNS server 22.214.171.124 and Alternate DNS server 126.96.36.199
- If Google DNS is blocked, try the following: Neustar DNS Advantage (188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206) enter and press OK, and, Level3 DNS (220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168) enter and press OK.
Solution 4: Change your telecom operator
Some telecom operators in some countries do restrict usage of VPN most especially when you use it over 3G. However, not all telecom operators would exercise this strict restriction. Hence, you may need to change your telecom operator to another one with lesser restriction.
Meanwhile, if your VPN does not work over 3G after changing your telecom operator, you may need to contact your telecom operator customer service and ask for help in fixing the problem.
However, if the problem persists, you may proceed to the next step.
Solution 5: Change your VPN provider service (recommended)
CyberGhost has 75 servers in more than 15 countries, so you can access the internet, whether the services are blocked or not where you reside. Its Unblock Streaming feature lets you access other popular streaming services without testing servers manually.
Features include hiding of IP, IP sharing as an additional security layer, and Leak Protection against IPv6 leaks, DNS and port forwarding leaks.
Once connected to the server, CyberGhost sends feedback about the website you’re connected to and want to watch, the current server location, and protection status.
- Get now CyberGhost (currently 77% off)
For more information on how to install and run CyberGhost, check out this guide.
Hotspot Shield VPN not only lets you stream online videos remotely, but also surf anonymously, unlock websites, secure web sessions at hotspots, and protect your online privacy. It is one of the most trusted VPNs to access blocked websites, with fast service, and a safer web offering as it protects your data.
This VPN never logs any of your information wherever you are, and also has desktop and mobile apps for any and all devices, with access to more than 1000 servers in 26 locations on up to 5 devices simultaneously.
- Buy now Hotspot Shield VPN
Let us know if any of these solutions helped fix the VPN does not work over 3G problem, by leaving a comment in the section below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- FIX: USB Wi-Fi adapter is not connecting to the Internet
- Fix: High CPU when browsing the Internet
- Fix: Antivirus is blocking Internet or Wi-Fi network
Most of us are sick of the messages informing us that the content is unavailable when we access Hulu or Netflix apps. This notification appears […]
Error 0x80070780 arises for some users when they try to copy, delete, back up or edit certain files in Windows 10. The error message states: […]