- If you are lucky enough to own a garden and want to take it to the next level, you need proper planning. How do you do that? With the help from a good, useful software.
- Depending on the type of person you are and the level of details needed to organize yourself, you can go with Adobe Illustrator to create a nice plan and use Adobe Photoshop to visualize your plans.
- Looking for similar software to solve other specific needs? Look no further than our very own Design Software Hub that has you covered.
- Visit our Software Section to help you find the relevant guide or review for your digital desires.
If you are faced with landscaping a yard, it is best to consider using garden design software to assist in organizing your thoughts and putting together a blueprint.
Garden software is mostly needed when considering a landscaping project with multiple gardens. However, it takes some time to learn and utilize this software.
Benefits of using a garden design software
There are several benefits of using software to design gardens and landscaping. The use of this software helps you to design a concrete plan for your gardens and landscaping. It helps you to make a solid decision on exactly what you want.
It is not very easy for you to visualize landscaping all at once, but when it is sketched out, not only will you have a greater chance of remembering every detail but you will also have an accurate plan from which to design your outdoor masterpiece.
For interior designs or landscape and garden designs outside your home, powerful garden design software will definitely save the day.
As a result of this, we decided to publish this article showing various design software. Combine them with a Feng Shui software, and the recipe for success is ready.
If you like software for designing your yard, there are some premium versions to check out below. They are not expensive and will definitely assist you in putting together the perfect yard.
What are the best garden design tools?
1. Adobe Illustrator (recommended for planning)
Adobe Illustrator comes as a highly-polished application for creating vector graphics. For planning your perfect garden you don’t need anything more than this since it will let you quickly draw a layout, modify lines according to your landscaping needs etc.
If you’re accustomed to other Adobe apps, know that the interface looks quite similar. Therefore, creating a simple layout should be quite easy.
The Pen Tool will be your best friend since it’s the main tool you use to draw lines that will eventually turn into shapes.
Get accustomed to all of the drawing tools in order to better meet your needs.
The key features included in the program:
- The Pen tool is one of the most used tools to create all kinds of plans, layouts etc
- A clean and fully customizable interface that enables you to capture the essence of abstract art
- Many effects help you express how you want your garden to be divided
- Learning Illustrator is very easy because of the plethora of online resources available
2. Adobe Photoshop (recommended for visualizing)
Everybody has heard of Photoshop. It’s one of the most popular image editing software available but it can do so much more. From taking a photograph and adjusting it a bit, to inserting a 3D character and animating it. This is the power of Photoshop.
For your dream garden, you can use Photoshop separately or in conjunction with Illustrator. A Creative Cloud subscription provides access to both tools so you don’t need to pick.
If you started planning your garden in Illustrator, you know have a good idea about the size, layout, different zones etc. You can start using Photoshop to better visualize the end result and help you make the right choice for your garden.
Here are some of the most important features:
- Highly reputable software that receives a lot of attention an updates
- A lot of tutorials and online materials to get the most out of it and create amazing work
- Good integration with Illustrator as well as other tools – stock photos among them
- Works with a lot of different formats so you can share your designs, final or not, with anybody
3. Shoot Garden Planner
You can make use of this software to design your garden. It is also a good tool for carrying out plant research. With this software, you can look into plants longevity, their varieties and how to care for them.
It is user friendly software which allows you to include fences, buildings, decks, sheds and even a pond.
If you want a quick and easy way to design your garden, consider using Shoot Garden Planner. In addition, this software is compatible with Windows OS such as Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8.
Download Shoot Garden Planner
4. Marshalls Garden Visualiser
This free garden design software is a powerful tool in landscape design. It allows you to visualize your garden in a 3d space. It looks like a video game.
While using it to build your garden, you can move around, it gives you a real life feeling. You can specify the size of garden you desire and also customize its shape exactly the way you plan to build it.
A lot of products could be added to your design using this software. You can add paths, garden surfacing, edgings, summerhouses, paving and walling.
You can save your garden in your online account while you work. When you are done, get an installer to help you build the garden or you build it yourself.
If you intend building yourself; request the necessary information from their official website to order all the required products.
- Access Marshalls Garden Visualiser here
5. Home Designer Software
This powerful software is ideal for landscaping design and of course the garden. It is premium software with multiple packages. However, the price is somewhat of a high side, but it does not really matter because it is very beneficial.
In addition, this software enables you to achieve the right plan. If after downloading it, you do not like it, you can easily do away with it; at least you didn’t spend any money unlike other design programs out there which are much more expensive.
Buy Home Designer Software here
Gardena is a web based garden design software. On the website, you will find all types of landscaping products for water management (sprinklers, hoses, etc.), lawn care (lawnmowers), shrub and tree (shears, hedge trimmers, etc.) and other garden care tools.
However, Gardena keeps people interested in their products. In other words, they do not want to profit from the software itself; instead the software is a way to attract people to their site and promote various products thereby getting a greater gain.
It’s a win/win between Gardena and their consumers who are looking for free design tools.
Visit Gardena garden planner website here
Have you used any of the garden design software we mentioned above? Do share with us your experience by commenting below.
FAQ: Learn more about garden design software
- How do you design a large garden?
Start with creating a plan with the layout. Divide the garden into different zones. Create a path from and to these zones. Add some seating and remember to have a sheltered area. Include a variety of colors depending on the climate.
- How do I make my garden like a pro?
Gather inspiration from neighbors and from the internet. Then measure your garden and create a plan. Then use any of the best garden design tools to visualize how all the elements fit together.
- What software do garden designers use?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.