Here’s how to fix Gears of War 4 black screen issues on PC
Gears of War is a popular game series on both Xbox and PC, and speaking of this game, many users reported black screen while trying to run Gears of War 4 on their PC. This can be a big problem, and in today’s article, we’ll show you how to permanently fix this issue.
Gears of War 4 is a great game, but PC users reported various issues with it. Speaking of issues, here are some of the most common problems that users reported:
- Gears of War 4 crashes on startup, splash screen crash – Sometimes Gears of War 4 might crash on startup due to missing updates. To fix this problem, download the latest updates for Windows 10.
- Gears of War 4 stuck on loading screen PC – Your graphics card can sometimes cause this problem to appear. To fix the issue, make sure that Gears of War 4 is set to use your dedicated graphics.
- Gears of War 4 PC freezing – This problem can occur if your drivers aren’t up to date. To fix the issue, be sure to install the latest drivers and try to run Gears of War 4 again.
- Gears of War 4 PC won’t start, launch – This problem can appear if you don’t have Offline Permissions feature enabled in Microsoft Store. Simply enable this feature and the problem with Gears of War 4 should be resolved.
Gears of War 4 black screen on PC, how to fix it?
- Make sure that you have the latest updates
- Update your graphics card drivers
- Try downloading a different game from the Microsoft Store
- Make sure that you’re signed in to Xbox app with a correct email
- Make sure that you’re using your dedicated graphics to run the game
- Enable Offline Permissions feature
- Reset Microsoft Store cache and start the required services
Solution 1 – Make sure that you have the latest updates
If you’re getting a black screen while trying to run Gears of War 4, perhaps the problem is related to your system. Sometimes certain glitches and appear on your system, and that can lead to this and many other problems.
To fix the problem, it’s advised that you update Windows 10 to the latest version. This process is quite streamlined in Windows 10, and for the most part, Windows 10 automatically installs the missing updates. However, you can always check for updates manually by doing the following:
- Open the Settings app. The fastest way to do that is to use Windows Key + I shortcut. After the Settings app opens, head over to the Update & Security section.
- In the right pane, click the Check for updates button.
- Windows will now check for available updates and download them in the background.
Once the updates are downloaded, restart your PC in order to reinstall them. After you update your system to the latest version, check if the problem is still there. This simple solution worked for several users, so be sure to try it out.
Solution 2 – Update your graphics card drivers
Sometimes black screen can appear in Gears of War 4 due to your drivers. Your graphics card drivers are crucial for multimedia and games, and if your drivers are out of date, you might experience various issues. To fix this and other problems, users are suggesting that you update your graphics card drivers.
Updating graphics card driver is relatively simple, and you can do it by visiting your graphics card manufacturer’s website and downloading the latest drivers for your model. However, if this process seems a bit complicated and you don’t know how to do it properly, you can always use third-party tools such as TweakBit Driver Updater to download your drivers.
This tool will scan your PC and let you know which drivers are out of date and allow you to update them automatically with just a couple of clicks. Once your graphics card drivers are up to date, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 3 – Try downloading a different game from the Microsoft Store
If you’re getting a black screen while trying to run Gears of War 4 on your PC, perhaps this workaround can help you. Bear in mind that this is just a workaround, so you’ll have to repeat it whenever the issue occurs.
According to users, you can temporarily fix them simply by trying to download a different game from the Microsoft Store and then cancel the download process. This is quite simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
- In the Search bar enter store. Now select Microsoft Store from the list.
- Now try to download any free game from the Microsoft Store.
- Download process will now start. Wait for about 10 seconds and then click the down arrow icon next to your profile picture. Now click the X button to stop the download.
After doing that, the download process will stop. Now you can try to run Gears of War 4 again and it should start without issues. Several users reported that this method worked for them, but bear in mind that this is just a workaround.
Solution 4 – Make sure that you’re signed in to Xbox app with a correct email
According to users, sometimes a black screen with Gears of War 4 can occur if you aren’t signed in to the Xbox app with the correct account.
Users reported that if you’re signed in to Xbox app with Microsoft account instead of Xbox account, you might encounter this problem. To fix that, you just need to sign out of Xbox app and sign back in. This is quite simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter xbox. Now pick Xbox from the list of results.
- When the Xbox app opens, sign out of it. To do that, click the Gear icon in the left pane. In the right pane, click the Sign out button.
- Now click on Sign in If you’re asked to sign in with your Microsoft account, click Not you option in the top left corner.
- Select Use a different account option and click Continue.
- Now enter your email and password and you should be logged in to Xbox app.
After doing that, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 5 – Make sure that you’re using your dedicated graphics to run the game
Many laptops and some PCs come with both dedicated and integrated graphics, and this can sometimes be a problem. Your PC might be configured to run the game using the integrated graphics, and that can cause this problem to appear.
To fix the problem, you need to change your graphics card settings. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Nvidia Control Panel.
- In the left pane, select Manage 3D settings. In the right pane, go to the Program Settings.
- Locate Gears of War 4 on the list. If it’s not available, click the Add button to add it.
- Now set the Select the preferred graphics processor for this program to High-performance Nvidia processor. Click the Apply button to save changes.
After making these changes, Gears of War 4 will always run using the Nvidia graphics card and the problem should be permanently resolved. If you’re using AMD graphics, you should be able to find all these settings in the Catalyst Control Center.
Solution 6 – Enable Offline Permissions feature
According to users, if you’re getting a black screen while trying to run Gears of War 4, perhaps you can fix the problem by changing a few settings in Microsoft Store. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open the Microsoft Store.
- Click the More icon in the top right corner and choose Settings from the menu.
- Now locate Offline Permissions feature and enable it.
After doing that, the problem should be resolved and you’ll be able to run Gears of War 4 without any issues.
Solution 7 – Reset Microsoft Store cache and start the required services
According to users, sometimes problems with Microsoft Store can affect other applications and cause issues such as a black screen in Gears of War 4. However, you can fix that problem simply by resetting Windows Store cache. To do that, follow these steps:
After doing that, you need to enable certain services. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open the Run dialog and enter services.msc. Now press Enter or click OK.
- When Services window opens, locate Windows PushToInstall Service, right-click it and choose Start from the menu.
After doing that, try to run Gears of War 4 again and check if the problem is still there.
The black screen can be a big problem and prevent from your running Gears of War 4 on your PC. However, we hope that you managed to fix this problem using one of our solutions.
- Fix Black Screen of Death on laptops in just 2 minutes
- How to fix Skyrim black screen in Windows 10
- How to fix League of Legends black screen issues in Windows 10
Errors like the avipbb.sys can be very frustrating for a beginner to fix. Even some professionals might encounter issues while fixing this error. Having this […]
Microsoft rolled out new features to Microsoft Teams — an enterprise chat-based collaboration solution. Enterprise users will find there is a new Microsoft Whiteboard integration […]
Microsoft releases another batch of cumulative updates for various versions of Windows 10 on the third Tuesday of the month. Although the update brings plenty of […]