How to get help in Windows 10: Get rid of this search pop
The “How to get help in Windows 10” Bing search pop up opens within your default browser when you press the F1 key on the Win 10 desktop.
Yet, some users have stated on forums that the Windows 10 help pop up automatically pops up with regularity on their Windows desktops.
Why does Windows 10 Help keep opening? Sometimes, your Help key may get stuck and this could trigger the ‘Get help’ alerts. This issue may also occur due to incorrect system settings.
In this guide, we’ll cover both these situations as well as other particular cases.
These are a few resolutions that might fix a “How to get help in Windows 10” search pop up that opens automatically.
Steps to disable How to get help in Windows 10 alerts
- Check the F1 Keyboard Key is not Jammed
- Remove Programs From the Windows 10 Startup
- Check the Filter Key and Sticky Key Settings
- Turn Off the F1 Key
- Edit the Registry
1. Check the F1 Keyboard Key is not Jammed
It might be the case that you need to fix your keyboard. The “get help in Windows 10” pop up will open if the F1 key is stuck in any way. So, check that the F1 key is not stuck. The Windows 10 help pop up might not automatically pop up with an alternative desktop keyboard. You can unplug a desktop keyboard to see if the pop up still opens.
2. Remove Programs From the Windows 10 Startup
Keyboard macro programs can automatically press the F1 keys with their macros. As such, it’s worth checking if you have any startup software that might be opening the “get help in Windows 10” pop up. This is how you can disable startup programs in Win 10.
- Open the Win + X menu with the Windows key + X hotkey.
- Select to open Task Manager.
- Select the Start-up tab shown in the shot directly below.
- You can disable a startup program by selecting it and pressing the Disable button.
3. Check the Filter Key and Sticky Key Settings
- The “get help in Windows 10” pop up might open if you’ve set up F1 as a Filter Key or Sticky Key. To deselect those options in Win 10, press the Type here to search Cortana button on the taskbar.
- Input the keyword ‘Sticky Key’ in the search box.
- Select Turn on easy access keys to open the Control Panel as shown directly below.
- Deselect the Turn on Sticky Keys option if it’s selected.
- Uncheck the Turn on Filter Keys setting.
- Click Apply > OK to confirm the new settings and close window.
4. Turn Off the F1 Key
Turning the F1 key off will probably ensure the “How to get help in Windows 10” search pop up doesn’t open. You can deactivate the F1 key with keyboard-mapping software. SharpKeys is freeware keyboard-mapping software you can turn off most keyboard keys with.
- Press Download on this Softpedia page to save the SharpKeys ZIP to your HDD.
- Open the SharpKeys ZIP in File Explorer, and press the Extract all button.
- Click Browse to select a folder to extract SharpKeys to, and click the Extract button.
- Open the SharpKeys window, and select F1 in the Map this key list.
- Select Turn Key Off in the To this key list, and press the OK button.
- Then select the Write to Registry option, and restart your desktop or laptop.
5. Edit the Registry
Some users have also fixed the “get help in Windows 10” pop up automatically opening by editing the EnableActiveProbing DWORD value with the Registry Editor. To open the Registry Editor, press Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Input ‘regedit’ in Run, and press the OK button.
- Then open to this registry key in the Registry Editor: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesNlaSvcParametersInternet.
- Double-click EnableActiveProbing to open the window shown directly below.
- Then enter 0 in the Value data box to replace the current 1 value.
- Press the OK button, and close the Registry Editor.
- Select Restart to restart Windows.
One of those resolutions will probably fix the “get help in Windows 10” Bing search pop up. If you have any further fixes for the Windows 10 help pop up, feel free to share them below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Windows Security pop-up in Windows 10
- Important Updates are pending: How to disable the pop up
- Disable:’Prevent paper abrasion is set’ pop up
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2018 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Have you ever had There was a problem updating your controller error while you were trying to update your Xbox One controller? If the answer […]