10 Easy Ways to Speed up Windows 10
Animations, shadows and special effects slow down your device
- Slowdowns can be a problem, and in this guide, we’re going to show you the best ways to speed up your Windows 10 PC.
- You can improve the performance of your PC with ease with various PC optimizer applications.
- Another method that can work is changing the list of startup applications.
- Slowdowns can occur due to your hard drive, so be sure to check its performance and ensure that it’s working properly.
A clean install of Windows is restoring your device to its initial state. But after a while, by installing and using various apps and programs your computer might get slowed down by the processes you are constantly running.
So, without re-installing Windows 10 from scratch you should apply some customization and optimization operations in order to speed up your laptop, tablet or desktop.
An optimized system represents an OS that runs without lags or bugs, a firmware on which you can install new apps and run old processes without worrying that something bad might happen.
Also, an optimized Windows 10 OS will respond to your actions instantly and will provide a great user experience whether you are playing a game, watching a movie, or planning your work schedule by running dedicated software.
How can you keep a Windows 10 system fully optimized? Well, that’s easy especially if you know the basic tricks and tips that are recommended for increasing the speeds on any Windows-based operating system.
This is exactly what we will be checking during the guidelines from below, so don’t hesitate and learn how to bum the speeds on your Windows 10 powered laptop, tablet or desktop.
How can I speed up the computer in Windows 10?
1. Install a reliable third-party PC optimizer
There are tens of PC optimizer solutions available on the market, and choosing the right one for your needs is not an easy task.
To help you out, we compiled a list of the best Windows 10 PC optimizers that you can install on your machine to make it snappier.
If we had to pick one optimizer for your PC, it would be Restoro. The software is designed for system repair, and it can fix a wide array of system errors.
In addition, the software can restore or replace the DLL files that have been damaged or removed. You can also use the software to fix slowdowns and freezes and optimize your performance in general.
Overall, Restoro is a simple and automated software that will repair and optimize your PC, so be sure to try it out if you want to speed up your Windows 10 PC.
Other great features:
- Automated and simple to use
- Can fix crashes, blue screen errors and freezes
- Can restore missing DLL files
- Ability to optimize and speed up your PC
To speed up your Windows 10 PC and fix slowdowns, crashes, and other errors, be sure to use Restoro.
2. Disable animations, shadows, and other special effects
As we all know, the Windows 10OS can be easily personalized by applying different animations and shadows. While these features are good-looking you also know that are slowing down your computer. Therefore, you should disable the unnecessarily animations, shadows and special effects in order to speed up your device.
1. Press the Windows + R keys at the same time to open the Run dialog.
2. Type sysdm.cpl and then press Enter.
3. The System Properties menu will open. Navigate to the Advanced tab.
4. Go to the Performance section and click on Settings.
5. Choose Visual Effects from the list of options.
6. In the Custom section, uncheck Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing, Fade or slide menus into view and Fade or slide ToolTips into view.
7. Save your changes and close the System Properties window.
3. Disable startup programs
- Launch Task Manager on your Windows 10 based device – use the Ctrl + Shift + Esc sequence in that matter.
- Pick the Startup tab, take a look over the Startup Impact section and just disable the processes that contain the high startup impact.
When rebooting or when starting your Windows 10 system there are loaded several built-in software and programs, which are dubbed as Startup programs.
Some of these tools are quite important, while others are just slowing down your device. So, in order to optimize your system you should disable some of these programs.
4. Use only one antivirus or antimalware software
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
Protecting your data is a must when having a Windows 10 device, especially when navigating through various online sources. In that matter it is more than recommended to use an antivirus or antimalware software.
Well, make sure you are choosing a proper program that can offer full protection and also Firewall support. Moreover, choose a tool that isn’t requiring too many resources, or else your computer might be slowed down.
For best malware protection, we suggest using BullGuard.
5. Choose the High Performance Power plan
On any Windows 10 device, you can choose from three different Power Plans. Now, these Power Plans are satisfying certain demands which mean that you can also bump the speeds by choosing the right features.
So, if you want full power you should use High Performance mode because in this mode the CPU is running with full energy.
6. Clean your registry
Installing and running various programs will eventually have an direct impact on Windows Registry database.
Of course, in time your machine will be slowed down by the invalid and corrupt entries within Registry so it will be a good idea to use a Registry Cleaner app in order to keep a routine maintenance of your registry.
The simplest way to do that is by using the Restoro software, so be sure to consider trying it out.
7. Optimize hard drive performance
- Go to your Home Screen and from there access your Charm bar.
- In the Search box type defrag and press enter in the end.
- Within the search results choose Defragment and optimize your drives and the Optimize Drivers windows will be then displayed on your computer.
- First, for each driver pick Analyze in order to see if a defragment operation is being required or not.
- If you need to repair your hard drive just pick the Optimize option.
We all know that if there are problems with the hard drive your computer will run slower, with lags and with various errors.
Well, that’s why you should periodically check the performance of your hard drive in order to optimize it and, of course, for ensuring much power and better performances.
8. Check for bad sectors on your hard drives
- Right-click on the drive you want to analyze.
- Choose Properties.
- Select the Tools tab and just pick Check in order to see if there are any errors.
- Your Windows OS will check for issues on your drive and also it will prompt you with the proper results (then you will be able to see if there are bad sectors or not).
Another problem that might be related to your hard drives is the bad sectors issue. Well, in order to make things better and for bumping the speeds on your Windows 10 powered device, you should check for bad sectors.
If there are bad sectors, the Windows OS will separate the same from the rest of your hard drive – if you will experience relevant bad sector issues, then the best will be to replace your hard drive with a new one.
9. Don’t turn off your computer
Each time you reboot or turn on your computer there will be loaded various built-in programs and features.
Basically, the reboot sequence will have to initiate all the basic processes along with all the startup programs. That means you will have to wait until everything is set up.
Well, you can skip all this by putting your computer in hibernate or sleep mode. In that way, when you turn on your device, it will be restored right from where you left it, without being necessary to initiate the startup process.
If you cannot put your laptop to sleep, check out our article to find out how to fix this.
10. Uninstall apps and programs that you don’t need
If you don’t regularly use particular apps and software, it’s easy to forget you installed them on your computer. Some of these apps may even run in the background thus using your computer’s resources.
The best solution is to simply go through the list of apps and programs installed on your machine and uninstall those that you no longer need.
These are the main optimization tips and tricks that you can apply to improve the speed on your Windows 10-based device.
If you are interested in acquiring some of the best PC optimization software, check out our article to find our recommendations.
All the operations from above can be easily completed even by a newbie so don’t hesitate and test the same in order to check the results.
Of course, in the end, don’t forget to provide us with feedback about your experience.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.