- GMod, short for Garry's Mod, is a popular sandbox game that was first released as a mod for the Valve Source game engine.
- The less fun part is that every online game faces a series of technical challenges. These may include high ping, jitter, and packet loss.
- If you want to improve your GMod ping, check out our best VPNs for GMod.
- Visit our Gaming Hub to discover more awesome reviews, guides, and tips & tricks.
GMod, short for Garry’s Mod, is a popular sandbox game that was first released as a mod for the Valve Source game engine. The mod was created by Garry Newman.
However, the standalone game was developed by Facepunch Studios, and published by Valve.
The principle of the game is quite simple. It’s a physics sandbox and you get to make all the rules. If you choose to play all by yourself or on your own server, that is.
GMod throws a plethora of tools your way and lets you have fun with them. However, players have gotten creative and developed servers with a higher aim than goofing around in a physics sandbox.
For instance, there are a lot of RP (roleplay) servers around, and are quite popular, too. Even RP servers have their own subgenres such as DarkRP, Purge RP, SCP RP, and WW2 RP. If you love chaotic fun, you’ll definitely enjoy playing GMod online.
What is packet loss in GMod?
The less fun part is that every online game faces a series of technical challenges. These may include high ping, jitter, and the awful packet loss. Packet loss occurs whenever data packets never make it to their destination.
And it can go both ways, too. So data packets that you forward never make it to the server, and packets sent by the server leak somewhere on their way and never make it to you.
This, obviously, can cause brief de-syncs. Notice the brief there; more often than not, packet loss fixes by itself and has what we call a comes-and-goes type of behavior.
That’s mainly because network congestion is one of the main causes of packet loss, even in GMod. So the best way to fix it is simply avoiding peak hours or taking a break for a few hours.
On the other hand, sometimes packet loss might last for quite a while and becomes increasingly noticeable. Rubberbanding, sluggish movement, inability to use the voice chat feature, and even disconnections; these are all symptoms of severe packet loss.
In which case, it might be wise to take action.
How to find packet loss in GMod?
- Find the IP address of the server you play on
- Launch CMD with administrator rights
- Run the pathping x.x.x.x command in CMD (x.x.x.x = the IP address of the server)
- Wait for the packet loss test to complete
- Locate the node that’s leaking packets in the test results
If you choose to save the results to a log file on your computer, simply append the > C:\packetloss.txt argument after the IP address of the server. The full command should look like pathping x.x.x.x > C:\packetloss.txt.
After the test comes to an end, your log file should look like the screenshot above. Keep in mind that each node (hop) corresponds to a segment of your connection, as we’ve explained in the image annotations.
As the hop number increases, the connection goes further away from the source, which would be your PC.
How to fix packet loss in GMod?
1. Use a VPN
- Download Private Internet Access
- Install it on your computer
- Launch it and log into your account
- Connect to a fast server
- Launch GMod
- Check if the problem still persists
Private Internet Access is a great all-round VPN from Kape Technologies. It can help you get rid of the packet loss situation in GMod.
However, keep in mind that using a VPN can improve packet loss only if it’s your ISP that’s causing the packet loss (bandwidth throttling or improper routing).
Private Internet AccessGMod is leaking packets? PIA might come in handy.
On the other hand, even if it doesn’t fix your packet loss, a VPN can help you in several other ways. For instance, it can boost your online privacy, circumvent geoblocking, and even secure your connection.
2. Troubleshoot your connection manually
- Run a packet loss test as instructed above
- Locate the hop that’s leaking packets
- Depending on the hop number, take the appropriate action from this list:
- Check and repair/replace/update any faulty hardware/software components on your home network (PC, cables, router)
- Contact the server host and inform them about the packet leak (if it’s on their side)
- Call your ISP and ask them to inspect their network (if they’re the one leaking packets)
- Switch to wired instead of Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi leaks packets more often than wired)
GMod packet loss can be avoided, and even fixed
All things considered, it’s safe to say that leaking packets in GMod is not the end of the world. This situation can sometimes be easily avoided by keeping your home network in top shape.
More so, you might want to avoid peak hours or switch the server if you notice congestion.
If you considered investing in a VPN, now is a perfect time. Not only will a trustworthy VPN fix your packet loss situation, but it can also help you circumvent geoblocking, give you a much-needed privacy boost and secure your connection.
FAQ: Learn more about GMod packet loss
- How to find packet loss in GMod?
You can use pathping to determine if there’s any packet loss and where does it occur.
- What is the best VPN for GMod?
If you’re looking to improve your online privacy and in-game ping, check out our best VPNs for GMod.
- Can VPN improve ping and gameplay?
Yes, if your ISP throttles your bandwidth, using a VPN can improve ping. Check out our best VPNs for gamers.