What is an IP address?
IP address is a key component of every network device, and we briefly mentioned IP address in our guide on how to change the MAC address. Today we’re going to explain to you what is an IP address and how does it work.
Internet Protocol, or IP, the address is a numerical value assigned to every network device so that the device can be identified in a local network or Internet. An IP address is a 32-bit number and it consists out of four numbers that are divided by dots.
The standard IP address looks like this 220.127.116.11, and each segment of an IP address is represented by a number ranging from 0 to 255.
Each segment is using 8 bits thus making the maximum value for each segment 255.
Your IP address is assigned to you by your Internet Service Provider, and you can have a static IP address that doesn’t change, or you can have a dynamic IP address that changes automatically after a certain period of time.
Most users don’t require a static IP address, and most Internet users have a dynamic IP address. Having a static IP address usually costs more, and using a static IP address comes with a certain security risk.
🛠️ How do I fix common IP-related issues?
While your Ip can be configured by contacting your ISP or by managing your network settings, the quickest way to handle all IP-related issues is to simply use a VPN service.
As an example, here’s a list of issue that can be easily fixed by using a VPN:
- Why is my IP blocked from Craigslist?
- AT&T IP address compromised or hacked
- Amazon Fire Stick cannot obtain an IP Address
- IPv4/IPv6 no internet access error on Windows 10
- Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration in Windows 10
❓ What can I do with my IP address?
Because your IP address is pretty much your online identity, knowing how to use it to your advantage can prove to be extremely useful.
Here are a few examples of what you can do with your IP address to have a better online experience:
- How to scan and manage valid IP addresses on your LAN
- Here’s how to hide your IP address in Windows XP
- How to hide your IP address in Windows 7
- How to set a static IP in Windows 10
- How to hide my IP in Chrome
With so many tutorials at your disposal, it’s only natural that many questions may be popping into your mind regarding IP addresses.
That’s why we’ve taken the liberty to list a few of the most common questions users have about IP addresses, as well as some useful data that they should know:
- Best tools to hide your IP address on Windows 10
- Can a VPN IP address be traced? How to prevent it?
- Can a VPN be traced? What’s the safest, untraceable VPN?
- Can VPN change IP address? How to change IP with VPN?
- 16% of VPNs leak your IP address, so here’s what needs to be done.