- Worried about Chrome’s high memory usage? The browser does take a few extra seconds to start.
- The delay is caused by the ImagePreReader used by the browser. However, Microsoft is working on a fix.
- If waiting isn’t really your thing, then note that Chrome is far behind Opera at memory usage.
- To find the latest tips and tricks to apply, take your time to visit this Chrome Troubleshooting Hub.
Google and Microsoft are currently working together to reduce the overall memory strain that Chrome puts on computers.
There is no doubt that Chrome is the favorite browser of many Internet users. However, most of them don’t have any idea about the amount of processing power the browser chews up.
Most importantly, users with low-end, old devices complain that the browser takes a few seconds to start. However, you don’t need to worry because this is about to change very soon.
How can I fix Google Chrome’s high memory usage?
Microsoft’s engineers managed to trace the cause behind the bug and suggested a fix.
The delay is triggered by the manner in which the browser uses ImagePreReader to pre-read its DLL files i.e Chrome.dll and chrome_child.dll.
Microsoft suggests that Google needs to improve the DLL prefetcher for Chrome to avoid memory management issues.
The tech giant even made some changes to overcome memory and CPU usage issues.
However, it should be noted that Microsoft is currently working on the fix. The company may take some time to release it to the general public.
Until then, it is very common to find malicious extensions and shady themes that need to be removed.
QUICK TIP: If you don’t want to wait until Microsoft and Google solve this problem for good, you can try an alternative browser. Based on your needs, we recommend Opera this time.
Opera Browser lets you enjoy a smooth and fast browsing experience on your Windows computer.
Instead of compromising on extensions and themes, the browser known to use the least amount of PC memory can save precious time and effort.
Even when it comes to those media-rich sites that consume a good chunk of CPU and memory, Opera doesn’t disappoint users. Download it now and check that for yourself.
OperaIf Chrome’s memory usage is extremely high, Opera is the best performer at this chapter. Ready to try it out?
New Chrome features coming your way
Google is working very hard to introduce some brand new features to Chrome. Some of these features are tabs groups and warnings for malicious URLs.
It is interesting to see how both companies work together to come up with enhanced browsers versions.
The Redmond giant is currently surprising users with its Chromium-based Edge version too. First made available to Windows 10 Insiders, Chromium Edge was officially released.
Have you ever noticed a delay while starting your Chrome browser? Share your experience in the comments section below.
Also, do note that Opera is a trustworthy alternative to all those looking for ways to deal with these issues:
- Google Chrome memory usage fix – Chrome crashes caused by low memory are common these days. You can forget all about them when using Opera.
- Google Chrome high memory usage fix – When encountering this issue, you can enable GPU Acceleration, remove themes and malicious extensions, or start using a different browser all together.
- Google Chrome memory issues – Poorly designed extensions and themes often cause the PC to become slow, freeze or even crash. Get rid of them with no hesitation or try out Opera or UR Browser instead.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in July 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.