Google Chrome takes forever to open in Windows 10? Here’s the fix
Google Chrome is a browser renowned for its speed and reliability. So, it’s a little surprising that some users have stated on forums that Chrome takes ages to open. Some users have said that they’re left waiting up to appalling 10 minutes for Google’s flagship browser to open. That’s obviously far too long for the browser to get started. Learn how to fix the Chrome browser that takes ages to open in Windows 10 here.
How do I speed up Google Chrome loading speed
- Disable All Chrome’s Extensions
- Reset Google Chrome
- Turn Off Chrome’s Hardware Acceleration
- Reset Network Adapter
- Reinstall Chrome
1. Disable All Chrome’s Extensions
Chrome will take longer to launch when it starts with a plethora of third-party extensions and apps. Some of the bigger extensions can slow down Chrome’s startup. So, users should disable all, or at least most, of their extensions for Chrome as follows.
- Open the browser’s menu by clicking the Customize Google Chrome button at the top left of its window.
- Then select More tools > Extensions to open the tab shown directly below.
- Toggle the extensions off by clicking the button highlighted below.
- Alternatively, users can get rid of extensions by clicking Remove.
2. Reset Google Chrome
Resetting Chrome is a quick way for users to disable all the browser’s apps. That will also restore the browser’s default settings and refresh its data. So, that could be a potential resolution for fixing Chrome’s sluggish startup. This is how users can reset Chrome.
- Open Chrome’s menu by clicking the Customize Google Chrome button.
- Click Settings to open the tab shown directly below.
- Scroll down the Settings tab, and click the Advanced button.
- Then scroll down to the Restore settings to their original defaults option.
- Click the Restore settings to their original defaults option, and select the Reset settings option.
3. Turn Off Chrome’s Hardware Acceleration
Chrome’s slow startup might also be due to its Hardware acceleration setting. To turn off that option, enter ‘chrome://settings’ in the browser’s URL bar and press Return. Then turn off the “Use hardware acceleration when available” setting shown directly below, and restart Google Chrome.
4. Reset Network Adapter
- Users have confirmed that resetting network adapters fixes Chrome’s slow startup. To do that, press the Windows key + Q keyboard shortcut.
- Input ‘Command Prompt’ in Cortana’s search box.
- Right-click Command Prompt and select the Run as administrator option.
- First, enter ‘ipconfig /flush’ in the Command Prompt, and press the Enter key.
- Then enter ‘netsh winsock reset’ in the Prompt’s window, and press the Enter key.
- Close the Command Prompt.
- Restart the desktop or laptop before opening Chrome.
5. Reinstall Chrome
Reinstall Chrome is another resolution that’s worth a shot. That will fix corrupted Chrome files and ensure the browser is updated. Follow the guidelines below to reinstall Chrome.
- Open the Run accessory with the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Input ‘appwiz.cpl’ in Run, and click the OK button.
- Select Google Chrome and click Uninstall.
- Click Yes to confirm.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling Chrome.
- Click the Download Chrome button on the browser’s website to get the latest version.
- Then open the setup wizard for Chrome to reinstall the software.
Those are some of the resolutions that might kick-start Chrome so it starts much more quickly. Users who have additional fixes that speed up Chrome’s loading are welcome to share them below.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- Chrome is slow? 9 great tips to help you speed up Google’s browser
- Full Fix: Google Chrome is not responding on Windows 10, 8.1, 7
In order to stream on Twitch.tv, you’ll most definitely need a Twitch Stream key. If you are a Twitch streamer, you’re probably aware of the […]
A number of users have reported that they can’t trim video in PowerPoint. This issue can become extremely frustrating in time, especially if you have […]
As more and more business are moving into the online territories, it has become increasingly important to offer great user experience to the users who […]