- Google Drive zips but doesn't download? We know the process is not always as smooth as intended.
- Ensure your files don’t exceed the limit allowed by Google To and check out more handy fixes right here.
- Get your hands on more useful information from our Google Drive Guides.
- Stay in touch with the latest news, tips, and tools from our Teamwork & Collaboration Hub.
Although Google Drive lets you download any Google doc or files with your shared users, the process is not always as smooth as intended.
This can be very frustrating, especially when you urgently need some files, but are unable to download them for one reason or another.
Here’s what you need to do if Google Drive is not downloading after zipping.
How can I fix Google Drive zip failed error?
1. Ensure your files don’t exceed the limit allowed by Google
To ensure a smooth download, Google normally limits the zip files to 2GB and the number of files to 500 per folder.
Exceeding this limit will result in Google Drive zipping files slow or Google Drive not zipping files at all. Google normally splits archives larger than 2GB into multiple zip files.
However, selecting the TBZ or TGZ format for your archive increases the size limit to 50GB, making it less likely for Google to split your archive.
Note that you may need to install special software to unpack a TBZ or TGZ archive.
2. Put the files in one folder
Another workaround that has worked for many users is to put all the files you want to download in one folder and download the folder instead.
The zip should contain the folder and its contents. Though this solution worked great for Windows 10 users, various users reported problems in getting the zip to work on Windows Vista and previous versions.
Did the above methods fix the problem? We would love to hear about your experience in the comments section below.
Later edit: also, please be advised that this kind of error can be temporary. Therefore, if you’re getting the Google Drive Zip failed, Zip creation failed or Zip failed login error, it could be just something with the server, so try again in a couple more hours.
3. Use an alternative Zip application
Experts have explained that Google Drive not downloading zip issues only exist when using Microsoft’s built-in zip utility, so the best way to fix it is to switch the zip application.
WinZip is more than a tool for zipping and unzipping files and folders.
It’s an all-in-one file manager that allows you to compress and decompress to save space on your hard drive, encrypt and password-protect your zip files and folders, manage and organize your files and so on.
Compatible with all major file formats, this tool allows provides you with a complete file management suite to handle your files effortlessly, share them, back them up and protect them according to your wishes.
Here’s a quick guide to zipping a folder with WinZip (and we do mean quick!):
- Open the WinZip app
- Select the folder you want to compress with the tool’s pane
- Click the Add to Zip option
- Save your zip file in the desired location
Now, let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Extract multiple files
- Repair ZIP files
- Powerful compression tools
- Compatible with all major formats including Zip, Zipx, RAR, 7Z, GZ, ISO, TAR, IMG and more
- Encryption and password-protect ZIP files
- Archiving tools
- Integrated File Manager and File Splitter
- Data back-up and sharing options
The world's best compression software is your personal assistant to manage, archive, compress and even repair your ZIP files.
In addition to the above workarounds, it’s also advisable to clear caches and cookies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Users reported the issue happens when using Microsoft’s built-in zip utility. There might also be an issue with the file itself, in which case we recommend a strong ZIP archive repair tool to fix it.
If Google Drive zipped files are not downloading, we suggest you use an alternative zip app like WinZip. Check out more quick resolution tips in this step-by-step guide.
You can use a third-party decompression tool to unzip Google Drive files. Check out our best picks in this article.