- Windows File Explorer is not safe from bugs and glitches and sometimes you just wish there was a better alternative.
- The good news is that there are a lot of other solutions so here are the best file management software.
- If you're looking for other such tools, you can find them in our File Management section.
- Our Software Hub is full of interesting and useful utility software.
Many tech-savvy users aren’t happy with Windows Explorer and this is why many are choosing a different file manager software.
Windows Exphttps://download.winzip.com/gl/oemg/winzip25-p008.exelorer lacks certain features that third-party file managers have such as advanced search, bulk rename, FTP client, tabbed interface, dual panes, and this can be a deal-breaker for some advanced users.
If you’re looking for the best file manager software for Windows 10, read on to find out.
What’s the best file manager software for Windows 10?
WinZip is by far the most well-known archiver software but it’s also an excellent file management software.
This software is very good at protecting your files because it can encrypt them with banking-level technology. WinZip can also convert your files to the PDF format which you can password afterward.
Managing your files also implies sharing them and WinZip also has cloud integration with Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, and more. You can upload the files and send the link to anybody.
Another easy way of sharing the files is to ZIP them in a smaller file that can be sent as an attachment to an email.
Backing up your files will be also easier by compressing them with WinZip and depositing them to the chosen location but this process can be also automatic.
Let’s review some of the best features of WinZip:
- Decompress almost any major file formats, including ISO
- Unsurpassable compression and decompression speed
- Old and unused files detection with built-in Cleaner Tools
- Compress files to reduce email attachment size
- Easy access and management of your local, network, or cloud files
- Splitting and joining files options
WinZipWinZip is not only the best file archiver but it also does a great job managing all your files!
If you’re looking for the best file manager for Windows 10, you should also check out Frigate3.
This is a highly configurable software that also features a modern, transparent interface.
An interesting feature for Frigate3 is the built-in size-manager feature. It’s extremely useful to find big files on your PC so that you can delete them and regain a lot of hard disk space.
Another nice addition to this software is a built-in text editor which can come in extremely handy if you’re not a big fan of Notepad.
Here are other notable features of Frigate3:
- Ability to view FTP and files and archives easily
- Built-in file viewer for popular file types
- Compatible with all major archive file types
- Folder comparison
- Advanced search system
- Multi-rename feature
3. Directory Opus
Another file manager that you should try is Opus Directory. It’s easy to use and customize.
Some interesting features of this file manager are the ability to edit the metadata and the built-in FTP client, so it can be really helpful for more advanced users.
To really take advantage of the dual pane feature, Opus Directory comes with a viewer pane that lets you preview files and single or dual file display with single or dual folder trees.
This tool also features folder tabs so you can manage directories in a similar way as the tabs in a browser.
Here are several most notable features that this software offers:
- Ability to easily sort, group, or filter files
- Can assign status icons, colors, ratings, or tags to your files in order and organize them easier
- Support for various archive formats, such as Zip, 7-Zip, RAR
- Synchronization and duplicate finder features
- CD/DVD burning
- Support for jump lists and indexed search
4. Total Commander
Total Commander is one of the most known and probably the best file manager for Windows 10. This application has a long history and an abundance of features.
This tool has a Drag and Drop interface compatible with File Explorer and it also has Command-line support that allows you to launch programs with certain parameters.
Other features for advanced users is the built-in file viewer that allows you to view files in hex, binary, or text format and the FTP client.
Total Commander also has the ability to split or combine large files.
As for other features, here are few notable ones:
- Multi-rename tool
- File compare feature
- Ability to split or combine large files
- Duplicate finder
- Advanced file search that can search inside archives
- Ability to handle all popular file archive types
Another great file management software is definitely FreeCommander. It’s convenient to use because the dual-pane can be configured horizontally or vertically and you can also switch to a single pane mode.
The user interface is also smart, using tabs to allow you to work with multiple folders easily and the optional tree view also helps organizing your files a lot better.
As for Windows integration, FreeComander offers quick access to system folders, Control Panel and Start Menu and even a DOS command line.
Here are some of the other features of FreeCommander:
- Support for ZIP archives, other formats require plugins
- Structureless view for both files and folders
- Quick access to system folders, Control Panel and Start Menu
- Ability to easily copy, move, delete, or rename files/folders
- Ability to search files inside archives
- Checksum verification
- Works with file paths larger than 255 characters
- Built-in FTP/SFTP client
6. One Commander
Unlike other entries on our list, One Commander is available as both a Universal app and the Win32 application.
This tool has a minimalistic user interface but can also work in columns and dual-pane layouts and features tabs.
If you have a complicated file structure, you’ll be happy to hear that One Commander can work with file paths longer than 260 characters and supports batch file operations.
If you’re interested in other features, look below:
- Built-in file and picture preview
- Ability to organize favorites into groups
- Quick filtering feature for currently opened folder
- Ability to add todo tasks and notes to any folder
- Ability to view metadata
- Can monitor folders for changes
XYplorer is probably the best file manager for Windows 10 in regards to features and it doesn’t even need installation.
Its interface is very smart, using tabs that allow you to work with multiple folders, and dual Breadcrumb bars for easy navigation.
All it’s even easier to see with the Mini Tree built-in feature that lets you access visited folders quickly.
For better file organization, XYplorer also comes with tag-based and color-mode management and the ability to queue file operations.
Here are few of other worth-mentioning features:
- Fully compatible with ZIP archives
- Advanced and fast file search
- Duplicate file finder
- Can check hash values of files
- Multi-level undo/redo
- Wipe feature that can permanently delete files
If you need an alternative file manager software for Windows 10, Xplorer² might be just what you need.
This nice tool offers instant preview for text, graphics, audio, and video files, but also easy access to the file metadata.
It’s easy to edit a text file because Xplorer² comes with a built-in text editor.
This tool also comes with advanced file management features such as splitting, merging, shredding, etc.
Regarding the features, here are the most notable ones:
- Extensive search feature
- Ability to search for specific keywords in documents
- Ability to manage files from multiple folders by using scrap containers
- Folder comparison and synchronization
- Support for DOS commands and scripts
- Visual filters that allow you to easily manage large folders
- Support for both concurrent and queued file transfers
9. Altap Salamander
Altap Salamander is probably a less-known file management software but it comes with a lot of features.
This smart software is free even for commercial use so don’t have to worry about a licence to use it at your office.
A nice feature is that Altap Salamander can execute external commands using the User Menu or the Command Shell window.
If you’re looking for a password manager, look no further because this tool also has a built-in one.
Here are some of its other important features:
- Folder comparison
- File encoding conversion
- Windows Encrypting File System (EFS) is supported
- File shredding using Gutmann or DOD 5220.22-M methods
- Clean and sleek user interface
- Extensive keyboard navigation options
10. Windows File Manager
We left Windows File Manager last because we all know it from a previous era. Although you can still download and use it, it has been long replaced by its more advanced counterpart, Windows File Explorer.
This old tool has an extremely simple, dual pane interface but working with it is very simple and intuitive.
As you would expect, Windows File Manager is natively compatible with Windows OS so it’s also very well integrated.
For instance, you can easily start Command Prompt or Powershell from the menu, and the same goes with accessing network drives.
This software is very basic, but you can easily organize your files and folders with it.
Let’s review some of the Windows File Manager’s best features:
- Dual-pane window
- Hard drive management controls
- Native full integration with Windows OS
- Quick access to the folders and files that you use frequently
- Easy starting for Command Prompt and PowerShell
- Simple and straightforward user interface
This wraps up our list of the best file management software to use in Windows 10.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below and we’ll be sure to check them out.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in October 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in January 2018 and was revamped and updated in October 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.