- Google Chrome is currently one of the most reliable browsers, bust sometimes the Chrome top bar is missing.
- If the Chrome toolbar disappeared, make sure you check your extensions. You can also try an alternative browser.
- Another solution is to run a virus scan, and for more on how to show the toolbar in Chrome, be sure to check out our guide below.
Google Chrome is one of the world’s most popular web browsers currently available. It is fast, efficient, has extensive add-on support, and much more.
However, it is still software, and software can always come with bugs and issues. In the case of Google Chrome, some users have reported that their toolbar Chrome toolbar is missing on Windows 10.
Some of our readers also complained about the Chrome menu bar missing shortcut, but first, let’s see why that happens.
Why is my Chrome menu bar missing?
The most common reason why the Chrome toolbar bar is missing is that you’ve accidentally hidden your bookmarks or extensions without realizing, or you’ve previously hidden them.
Also, if you switched Chrome to full-screen mode, your toolbar will be hidden by default. Therefore, the Chrome toolbar missing on full screen.
This problem is quite severe given that there isn’t much a user can do within Chrome without access to the toolbar.
That is why we’ve created this in-depth article so that we can provide you with all the possible fixes for this browser issue.
Other related Chrome errors
Speaking of browser issues, here are some possible errors that may occur in Chrome:
- Chrome toolbar missing – If that’s also your issue, you clearly want to get the toolbar back on Google Chrome. Try to run a quick virus scan or enable extension toolbars
- Show toolbar in Chrome – The show toolbar in your browser, another nifty trick is to toggle Chrome’s full screen mode on and off
- Toolbar in Chrome/Chrome toolbar – To easily get rid of Chrome’s toolbar, start by clicking the button with three vertical lines next to the Chrome address bar and select Settings > Extensions Find the extension for the toolbar, and then untick the box next to Enable in order to easily turn it off
- Google toolbar missing – Restoring a missing Google toolbar in your computer’s web browser shouldn’t take that long. Take a peek at the above tips or use Opera, and you’ll never face such issues
- Chrome toolbar missing on Mac – Chrome is the same on Mac so you can encounter the same problem there too
- Chrome toolbar missing on Chromebook – The browser comes by default on Chromebooks and you ca experience the problem
How do you get the toolbar back on Google Chrome?
1. Toggle Chrome’s full screen mode on and off
Chrome can be used in regular windowed mode, or it can be used in full screen mode. However, the full screen mode can cause the toolbar to disappear, depending on what type of PC you own.
You can toggle the full screen mode on and off by pressing F11 and fix it with ease.
2. Try another browser
It’s not unreasonable to expect the toolbar shown in your browser. When this fails to happen on Google Chrome, make sure to try out Opera instead.
Just install it with the help of the link below, and you will automatically be prompted to import all your data from the previous browser.
You can further customize Opera’s functionality with extensions. Take a peek at the weather forecast right from the browser’s toolbar if you’d like or enjoy automatic page translation.
Besides all these, keep in mind that Opera puts your privacy first – its free VPN reduces online tracking and the tracker blocker keeps you safe from analytic scripts and other new methods of data collection.
If the toolbar is not showing in Google Chrome, consider using a different browser. Opera won’t disappoint you!
2. Enable the extension toolbars
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Press the Menu button. It looks like 3 vertical dots.
- Select More Tools, and click Extensions.
- This will open a menu with all the extensions installed on your Chrome client.
- Locate the toolbar extension.
- Enable the toolbar by pressing the slider next to it.
- Also, press Allow in Incognito.
3. Enable your bookmark bar
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Click the Menu icon, and select Bookmarks.
- Click Show bookmarks bar (Additionally, this can also be done via Ctrl + Shift + B keyboard shortcut).
5. Run a virus scan
On some rare occasions, a missing toolbar is nothing else but a clear sign that your PC is infected with malicious software.
Do note that some malware like viruses, spyware, and Trojans can easily find a way into your system even when you think that you’re protected.
As such, running a virus scan using good antivirus software that can solve your missing toolbar issue in no time.
6. Reinstall Google Chrome
- Press the Start button and select Settings.
- Now, select Apps.
- Look for Google Chrome, click on it and select Uninstall, then follow the steps to completely uninstall the app.
- Now, you only need to visit the Chrome webpage and click on Download Chrome.
If none of the solutions mentioned above can fix the missing toolbar issue, you should also consider reinstalling Google Chrome altogether. Once that is done, you should no longer have any issues.
What can I do if the Chrome toolbar icons are missing?
If you can’t see the bookmark icons, you probably imported them from another browser and there is a chance that they are not appearing.
Clicking on each link will force the browser to get the favicons and they should appear again as they should.
So, now you know how to show and add toolbar in Chrome if the top bar missing.
As we highlighted above, the Chrome top bar is missing when the window is maximized so you shouldn’t worry too much.
However, if nothing works, you can always get a Chrome menu bar extension that will fix the problem permanently.
We hope that by using our solutions, you’ve managed to fix the Chrome menu bar missing problem and now everything works fine.
If you have any other questions or suggestions, feel free to use the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
To get the toolbar back in Google Chrome, make sure that your extensions aren’t interfering with it by reading our helpful guide.
Not all extensions add a button next to the address bar in Chrome. If the extension is installed, it should appear in the Extensions page in Chrome.
To make extensions visible in Chrome, just resize the extension space in the top right corner next to the address bar in Chrome. Also check out our list of the best tab manager extensions in Chrome.
To fix your Chrome extensions, you should check the Menu, and repair the extension you want. Alternatively, just reinstall the extension.