What to do if HP printer won’t scan in Windows 10
8 solutions to fix scan issues on HP printers
- Check Platform Compatibility
- Reset the Printer
- Reinstall the HP Printer Software
- Open the HP Print and Scan Troubleshooter
- Check that the Windows Image Acquisition Service is Enabled
- Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall
- Reset the HP Printer & Scanner to Factory Default Settings
- Run a System File Checker Scan
HP is among the biggest printer brands for Windows 10. HP models are typically all-in-one printers with which users can print and scan. Printers such as the HP Deskjet 2130 and Envy 5540 are highly rated models.
Yet, HP printers can still have their occasional scanning hiccups. That’s especially the case for users who have just upgraded to Windows 10 from Win 7 or 8.1. Some users have stated on forums that their HP printers don’t scan after a platform upgrade.
This is how users can fix HP printers that don’t scan.
How to Fix an HP Printer That Doesn’t Scan
1. Check Platform Compatibility
If your HP printer doesn’t scan after upgrading to Windows 10, check that it’s compatible with that platform. To do that, open the HP Printers – Windows 10 Compatible Printers page in a browser. Expand an HP model series on that page to check if it includes your printer model. If the printer isn’t compatible with Win 10, you’ll need a new printer or a compatible platform.
2. Reset the Printer
Turning the printer off and back on can occasionally fix scanning and printing issues. That is otherwise known as power cycling, which can reinitialize a scanner’s configuration parameters. Turn off the printer and unplug its cable. Then plug the printer back in and turn it on about 10 to 20 minutes later.
3. Reinstall the HP Printer Software
Reinstalling HP printer software is among the best resolutions for fixing HP printer scanning after upgrading to Windows 10. That will ensure users have the latest HP drivers for their models. This is how users can reinstall HP printer software.
- Right-click the Start button and select Run.
- Enter ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the Open text box, and select the OK option.
- Select the HP printer software listed on the Programs and Features Control Panel applet.
- Select the Uninstall option.
- Click Yes to provide further confirmation.
- Restart Windows 10 after uninstalling the HP printer software.
- Next, users need to remove the printer from Printers & Scanners list in Settings. To do so, open Cortana with the Windows key + Q keyboard shortcut.
- Input ‘printers’ in the search box and click Printers & scanners to open the window shown below.
- Select the printer, and click its Remove device button. Note that the printer should be on when you select that option.
- Go through the on-screen guidelines to remove the printer.
- Open the HP support page shown below in a browser.
- Click Printer to open a search box. Enter the required model in the search box, and press the Submit button.
- Then a software and driver page will open for the printer entered. Click Change on that page to select a 64 or 32-bit Windows 10 version on the drop-down menu, and press the Change button.
- Click Download to download the full feature driver and software package for the printer.
- Open the folder the driver and software package downloaded to.
- Click the downloaded driver and software package to install it.
4. Open the HP Print and Scan Troubleshooter
HP has its own Print and Scan Doctor software to fix both printing and scanning for its printer models. So, that troubleshooter can fix numerous HP printer scanning errors. This is how users can fix HP printer scanning with HP Print and Scan Doctor.
- Make sure the printer is on and connected with desktop or laptop.
- Click HP Print and Scan Doctor on the HP Customer Support page to download the troubleshooter.
- Click HPPSdr.exe to open the software’s window.
- Click Start and select the printer that doesn’t scan.
- Select the Fix Scanning option.
- Thereafter, the troubleshooter will tell users if it detected and fixed any errors. If it displays X icons, users might need to follow further guidelines provided by the troubleshooter.
5. Check that the Windows Image Acquisition Service is Enabled
The Windows Image Acquisition Service is among the more essential scanning services. Thus, some users might need to enable that service to fix their HP printers’ scanning. Users can enable the WIA service as follows.
- Right-click the Start menu to open the Win + X menu.
- Select Run on that menu.
- Enter ‘services.msc’ in the Run accessory and click OK.
- Double-click Windows Image Acquisition to open the window in the shot directly below.
- Select Automatic on the Startup type drop-down menu if the WIA is disabled.
- Press the Start button.
- Select the Apply option.
- Click OK to close the window.
- Remote Procedure Call, DCOM, RPC Endpoint Mapper, and Shell Hardware Detection are some of the other more essential Windows services for scanning. Check that those services are also enabled as outlined above.
6. Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall
This resolution might fix HP printer scanning for users who are trying to utilize a network printer. The Windows Defender Firewall can block network printer ports and communications. Therefore, turning WDF off, and perhaps other third-party firewalls, might fix scanning for some users. This is how users can turn off WDF in Windows 10.
- Open the Cortana app.
- Enter ‘firewall’ in the search box. Select Windows Defender Firewall to open the Control Panel applet in the snapshot below.
- Click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off on the left of the Control Panel applet.
- Users can then select the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall options.
- Note that the HP Print and Scan Doctor also includes firewall settings. Users can open those settings by clicking Network > Troubleshooting Firewalls on HP Print and Scan Doctor’s window.
- Then press the Disable button to turn off selected firewalls.
- Press the OK button.
Third-party antivirus software can also include firewalls. So, it might also be worth temporarily disabling third-party antivirus software before scanning. Most antivirus utilities include a disable or turn off button of some description on their system tray context menus. Right-click the utility’s system tray icon to select its turn off or disable setting.
7. Reset the HP Printer & Scanner to Factory Default Settings
Some HP printers include an option that resets them to their default factory settings, which might fix scanning issues. How users can select that option varies from printer to printer. However, users can usually select a Reset Factory Defaults option within Setup or Tools menus on the printers’ control panels. Check the printer’s manual for details on how to reset it to its factory default.
— RELATED: What to do if your HP printer couldn’t print
8. Run a System File Checker Scan
Corrupted system files can also be another factor behind scanning errors. Users can run a System File Checker scan to check for and repair corrupted files and integrity violations. Follow the guidelines below to run an SFC scan in Windows 10.
- Open the Win + X menu with the Windows key + X hotkey.
- Click Command Prompt (Admin) to launch the Prompt.
- Input ‘DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth’ and press Return before initiating an SFC scan.
- Thereafter, input ‘sfc /scannow’ in the Command Prompt and press Enter.
- The SFC scan might take about half an hour to complete. Restart the desktop or laptop if the scan reports that Windows Resource Protection fixed something.
The above resolutions can potentially fix numerous HP printer scanning errors. However, users can also submit a support case at the HP Customer Support website if more fixes are required.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- FIX: Printer doesn’t scan in Windows 10, 8.1
- FIX: Brother printer won’t scan on Windows 10
- How to fix Samsung printer/ scanner issues in Windows 10
Did you ever face error There was a problem and we couldn’t continue 0x80a4001a while you were trying to log in into your Xbox One […]
A wide number of users have complained about an issue caused by Windows 10 Calendar not syncing with Gmail/Outlook. This issue can cause a lot […]
Hulu can be a great entertainment platform, but many users reported Sorry this channel is temporarily unavailable message while watching live sports feed. While that […]