If you rely on your HP Support Assistant tool that comes pre-installed on HP computer to get update notifications and other things, not being able to use HP Support Assistant can be annoying. Several HP users have reported that the HP Support Assistant will not open on their HP laptop after the Windows update. Many users have reported similar issues in the Microsoft community forums.
After I upgraded my laptop (HP Notebook 2000) to Windows 10 from 8.1, I can’t open HP support Assistant. It gives a message saying ” HP support assistant has encountered a problem and will shut down”.
Could someone help suggesting a solution to this. Will remain grateful.
If your HP Support Assistant will not open as well, here are a couple of troubleshooting tips to help you resolve the issue.
How to fix HP Support Assistant will not open
1. Download and install HP Support Assistant
- If the current HP Support Assistant app is not opening, try to download and install the latest version of the app on top of the existing installation.
- Download the HP Support Assistant installer from the link.
- Run the installer and click Yes when asked to confirm.
- Proceed with the installation.
- Reboot the computer if prompted by the PC.
- After the restart, check if the app is working again.
2. Uninstall HP Support Assistant
If the installation fails, uninstall the app from the Control Panel and then try again.
- Press Windows key + R.
- Type control and click OK.
- In the Control Panel, go to Programs > Programs and Features.
- Select HP Support Assistant from the list of installed apps.
- Click on Uninstall. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete uninstallation.
- Close the Control Panel.
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the following location:
C:\Program Files (X86)\Hewlett Packard\
- Delete the HP Support Framework folder inside.
- Now run the HP Support Assistant installer downloaded in the first solution and check for any improvements.
- Launch the HP Support Assistant. Go to About and select Check for the latest version. Wait for the app to find any pending updates and install it.
2. Download and Update Drivers Manually
- If your computer has some outdated components that you want to update, you can download it from the official website.
- Go to HP Care product page.
- Enter your HP laptop details for which you want to download the software update.
- Now go through all the available updates and install them one by one.
- If an update is available for HP Support Assistant, download and install it as well.
- While you don’t need to download driver update manually, this is useful in case the HP Support Assistant won’t open issue is not resolved.
The HP Support Assistant usually works without any issues, however, in case you face any issues, this guide should help you resolve it. Do let us know how you fixed the HP Support Assistant won’t open issue in the comments.
RELATED STORIES YOU MAY LIKE: