- Despite having an addons store stocked with extensions, Opera One still allows its users to install addons from Chrome.
- To do this, you need to install an extension from the Opera One addons store to serve as a bridge with the Chrome Web store.
- If the Chrome extensions are not working after installation, you can fix them in the developer mode on Opera One.
Opera One and Chrome are two of the most-used browsers in the world. Amidst their endearing features is the ease of use and speed. Also, they boast lots of integrations and extensions that extend their functionality.
With Opera One being one of the best browsers with a built-in VPN that does not slow down your internet, and Chrome boasting extensions, like Grammarly in its web store, the two browsers cannot be said to lack useful integrations.
However, Opera One still allows you to install extensions from Chrome. This is possible because the two browsers are based on the same Chromium engine.
This does not mean their extension stores can be used interchangeably, as they are distinctively different.
But with the right information, you can use Chrome extensions on Opera One. And that is what you get in this guide that covers everything you need to know on how to install and use the Chrome extension on Opera One.
Are Chrome extensions safe?
Chrome extensions are generally safe, especially if downloaded from official sources. The best of them improves the functionality of your browser and makes things easier.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
However, there are still some bad Chrome extensions that can be dangerous to your PC. Though not totally preventable, there are some factors to consider to make sure a Chrome extension is safe.
- Only download from the Chrome Web Store. The Chrome Web Store is the official source for Chrome extensions. They do a very good job of verifying the credibility of the extensions available there. And with over 190,000 extensions available, you are sure to get just about anything you need.
- Read reviews: While the Chrome Web Store generally contains safe extensions, some bad ones are still present there. Some developers eventually sell the extensions to another company, which might change the purpose. Also, an extension can be compromised. So, make sure you read reviews, especially the most recent ones, to know how the extension is doing.
- Research the Developer: The developer’s reputation goes a long way to determining the credibility of the extension. If a big-name company like Google designs an extension, you are almost certain it is safe. However, if just a random person designs it, you might need to look into the extension to confirm its safety. Note that the developer’s name is placed directly under the extension name.
- Read the description and permission: One of the mistakes users make with Chrome extensions is going to the install button without reading the essentials. The descriptions and permissions are there for a reason. You need to read all the information provided. If you come across things like data sharing or tracking, it might be safe to leave out such extensions.
How can you install Chrome extensions on Opera One?
1. Download the Install Chrome Extensions add on
- Open Opera One and go to the Opera One addons store.
- Search for Install Chrome.
- Choose the Install Chrome Extensions option.
- Click the Add to Opera One button in the top right corner.
- Wait for the confirmation that the extension has been installed and restart Opera One.
Install Chrome Extensions is an Opera One addon that allows you to use any Chrome extensions on Opera One. It can only be found in the Opera One addon store and nowhere else.
Also, it is the same extension that is used to add Chrome extensions to Opera GX. However, you should note that it cannot add Chrome themes. It is limited to extensions only.
2. Install extensions from Chrome Web Store
- Open Opera One and go to Chrome Web Store.
- Search for the extension you want to install. We will use Loom as an example here.
- Select the Loom result.
- Click the Add to Opera One button by the right.
- Click Add extension when prompted that the extension is not from Opera One.
- After installing the extension, press Ctrl + Shift + E to open the Opera One extensions settings.
- Finally, click the Details button to adjust the permissions to your preferences.
There are no restrictions to the Chrome extensions you can install from the Web Store. Though there might be a few compatibility issues, the extensions should work on Opera One and the GX version if they work on Chrome.
This is also the procedure to follow to install Chrome extensions on Opera GX but not on mobile. Chrome extensions are not yet available on all mobile versions of Opera One.
What can I do if Chrome extensions are not working on Opera One?
While this is a rare occurrence if you follow the steps above to the letter, some users still complain that they can’t use Chrome extensions on Opera One.
Some users said that it is the Install Chrome Extensions feature on Opera One that is not working. While it is down to some Opera One features for in other cases.
Irrespective of the cause, the fix below should help you solve the problem.
Install the extension in developer mode
- Open Opera One and press the Ctrl + Shift + E keys. This will open the Extension Manager window.
- Toggle the Developer mode switch forward to activate it.
- Now, go to the Chrome Web Store on Opera One to install the Extension source viewer.
- Click the Add to Opera One button.
- Now, go to the Chrome Web Store to search for the extension you want to use. We will use Grammarly as an example here.
- Right-click on the extension title and choose View extension source.
- Click the Download option at the top.
- Open File Explorer and create a new folder. Do not delete this folder after the installation of the extension.
- Copy the downloaded zip file into the folder.
- Right-click on the zip file and select Extract here.
- Open Opera Opera and go to the Extension Manager.
- Click the Load unpacked button.
- Choose the folder where you extracted the zip file and click the Select folder button.
- The extension will now be displayed on your extensions list.
This is a technical fix you should only use as a last resort. It should come after the usual troubleshooting steps like restarting Opera One. You need to follow the instructions carefully too to make it work.
It solves the problem if the Chrome install extensions is not working on Opera One and the GX version. The only difference in the case of GX is that the developer mode will be activated in the Opera GX extensions settings.
Hence, consider it a universal fix, albeit a technical one.
How do I enable extensions in Opera One?
- Launch Opera One.
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + E keys to open the Extension Manager.
- Search for the extension you want to enable.
- Click the Enable button.
There you have it: everything you need to know to install and use Chrome extensions on Opera One. We have also provided a solution for issues where the extension is not working on Opera One.
Are you facing issues with an extension, like some users complaining that something went wrong with Opera One crypto wallet extension? Read our comprehensive guide on the topic to fix it.
Feel free to let us know how your experience has been with Chrome extensions on Opera One in the comments section below.