- If you want to install Dolby Atmos in Windows 11, read this article to find out how to do it.
- Learn how to install the drivers for Dolby Atmos for various device manufacturers.
- Also, find out the difference between Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio, two terms that users often confuse.
Users in the field of cinema or video editing realize the importance of Dolby Atmos. Since Windows 11, users have been thrilled to install the Dolby Atmos app and take their listening experience up to another notch.
Hence we have dedicated this guide to help you understand the concept, how it differs from Dolby Audio and the process of installing Dolby Atmos on your Windows 11 PC.
But before you proceed, do understand that just the Dolby Atmos for home theaters won’t be used unless you have a compatible device. Check our curated list of the best Dolby Atmos speaker available. Though, it can work on any headphones, as discussed in the next section.
What is Dolby Atmos?
Dolby Atmos is a surround sound format that was first introduced in cinemas but, owing to its popularity, made its way to the domestic household.
In simple words, Dolby Atmos allows sound to be interpreted as a 3-D object, and the listener perceives it as if it’s coming from all directions. This provides a life-like experience, as what you see on the screen is happening around you.
Dolby Atmos for headphones, one of the options in the app designed solely for headphones and earbuds, was first released in the Windows 10 Creature’s Update.
With this, you don’t need a specialized set of hardware to enjoy the surround sound since the feature is built-in rather than an add-on.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
Is Dolby Atmos free for PC?
The Dolby Atmos for the home theater you see in the app is free but requires you to connect to a compatible system.
However, Dolby Atomos for headphones, though available as a free download, requires you to pay a $15 license fee. But the good news is that a free trial is available, and you can go ahead with the purchase only if you find it worth the money.
Now that you have a basic understanding of the concept let’s walk you through the steps to download the app.
How can I install the Dolby Atmos app on Windows 11?
- Press Windows + S to launch the Search menu. Enter Microsoft Store in the text field at the top, and click on the relevant search result.
- Next, enter Dolby Access in the search box at the top, and click on the relevant search result.
- Click on the Get button to download the app.
- Once the app is downloaded and installed, click on Open to launch it. Alternatively, you can launch it from the Search menu.
- Click on Next.
- Click on Get started.
- Now, choose whether you want to make a purchase or take the 7-day free trial.
- Complete the authentication process and click on Get.
- The default device will be listed here. Click on Continue to proceed with it, or select Audio devices to choose another.
- Click on Experience now.
The above steps will set up the Windows 11 Dolby Atmos for headphones. If you are looking forward to connecting your home theater, follow the steps in the next section.
Once done with the setup, restart the computer for the changes to full effect. If you face a random restart problem in Windows 11, learn how to fix it.
How can I use Dolby Atmos for home theater in Windows 11?
- After you have set up the app, select the Dolby Atmos for home theater option in the Products tab and click on Setup.
- Connect a compatible audio device and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
The Dolby Atmos for home theater will help you connect the system and enjoy surround sound on your Windows 11 PC.
How do I activate Dolby Atmos?
- Press Windows + S to open the Search menu, enter Change system sounds, and click on the relevant search result.
- Go to the Playback tab, right-click on the default device, and select Properties.
- Now, head to the Spatial Sounds tab, select Dolby Atmos for Headphones from the dropdown menu and click OK to save the changes.
Where can I find the drivers for Dolby Atmos in Windows 11?
For all those who have already downloaded the app from other sources but are unable to find the right set of drivers for it, we have it all figured out.
Just click on the link for your device, find the appropriate Dolby Atmos driver for Windows 11 64-bit, and download them.
After downloading the Dolby Atmos driver in Windows 11, double-click on the file to launch the setup and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process. Alternatively, you can try using dedicated software like Outbyte Driver Updater to scan your PC and replace any missing or outdated drivers.
How is Dolby Atmos different from Dolby Audio?
The two are entirely different in certain aspects, though users often use the terms interchangeably. Hence it’s necessary that understand the difference between the two.
While Dolby Atmos provides a three-dimensional experience as if the sound is coming from all directions, Dolby Audio enhances the sound. The former takes your Experience up a notch and provides a cinematic experience; the latter adds minute enhancements to the sound.
Should I upgrade to Dolby Atmos?
That’s the million-dollar question, whether or not to upgrade to Dolby Atmos? If you are using Dolby Atmos for headphones, you would be charged a fee after the free trial, while the Dolby Atmos for home theater feature is free.
But, it’s not free since you are supposed to spend on a Dolby Atmos-compatible home theater system. Moreover, the added height channel will enhance your listening experience and make it feel like you are in a cinema hall.
So, if you are willing to shell the required amount, upgrading to Dolby Atmos would be a good decision.
That’s all there’s to Dolby Atmos and the process to install the app in Windows 11. By now, you are not just acquainted with the concept but are well aware of the various intricacies and the setup process. Also, find out what to do if Dolby Atmos Windows 11 is not working.
Several users have reported being unable to use Dolby Atmos in Windows 10; here’s how you can fix that. Or, if you are facing issues turning on Spatial Sound, check our dedicated guide to troubleshoot the problem.
In case Dolby Atmos doesn’t suit your requirements, check our curated list of the best virtual surround sound software.
Tell us your experience with Dolby Atmos in the comments section below.