- Looking for a way to get rid of the Photoshop installation error message 1926 Could not set security for file C:windows Error:0? Keep on reading the lines below.
- Waste no more time and grab the latest version of Adobe Photoshop. You’ll forget all about getting this error.
- You may also try to change owner settings from Advanced Settings or fix your registry to solve the problem.
- Do not worry if you frequently experience similar issues. The Adobe Troubleshooting Hub is here to help.
When trying to install Photoshop CS2 in your new Windows 10 you might have gotten the error message 1926 Could not set security for file C:windows Error:0.
Although this is not a common issue for the Photoshop CS2 app you will get a detailed explanation and how to fix it with ease.
Even if you run this installation using the administrator account it still won’t work. Therefore, we will be doing the installation first with the Run as Administrator feature in Windows 10.
Then, you could also modify some registry values inside the system with the help of an app to get your Photoshop CS2 installed.
How can I fix Photoshop CS2 installation error 1926?
- Download the latest Adobe Photoshop version
- Run Photoshop CS2 as Administrator
- Fix your Registry
- Change owner settings from Advanced Settings
1. Download the latest Adobe Photoshop version
Photoshop users brag about amazing results while using this tool. Therefore, it is frustrating to be one of those who don’t even get the chance to get to that point.
If the installation itself seems impossible, let us help you out. In most cases, grabbing the most recent version is all it takes for you to avoid the installation error 1926.
While on the official page, you just need to click Download. If you are not signed in, you will be asked to do so with your Adobe ID and password.
Your app should immediately begin to download. Then, normally launch it like any other app on your computer.
2. Run Photoshop CS2 as Administrator
- Go to the directory where you have the Photoshop CS2 executable file.
- Right-click on the file.
- From the menu that pops up left click or tap on the Run as Administrator feature.
- Left-click or tap on the Yes button if you are prompt by a user account control message.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to finish the installation process.
- Reboot your computer.
- Check to see if your Photoshop CS2 application is working in your Windows 10 now.
3. Fix your registry
- Left-click here to download.
- Select the Save File feature to download the app.
- After the download has finished go to the directory where the executable file was saved and right-click on it.
- Left-click or tap on the Run as Administrator feature.
- After the app has opened follow the instructions to complete the registry fix process.
4. Change owner settings from Advanced Settings
- Open the Computer window.
- Open the C: partition or wherever partition you have your Windows 10 system installed.
- Right-click on the Windows folder.
- Left-click or tap on the Properties feature.
- Now that you have the Properties windows in front of you, left-click or tap on the Share tab.
- Left-click or tap on the Advanced Security button you have in the Share menu.
- Left-click or tap on the Change option you have there.
- Left-click or tap on the Advanced button.
- Left-click or tap on the Find Now button.
- Left-click or tap on your user to select it from the list that appears.
- Left-click or tap on the OK button.
- Left-click or tap on the OK button again.
- Check the box next to Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.
- Left-click or tap on the Apply button to save your changes.
- Left-click or tap on the OK button if you are prompt by a user account control message.
- Now close all the windows you have open.
- Go again and try opening the Photoshop CS2 application by right-clicking on it and selecting the Run as Administrator feature again.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to finish the installation.
This is all you have to do in order to get your Photoshop CS2 app installed on your Windows 10 device.
If you run into any more trouble along the way you can write us below in the comments section of the page and we will help you further with this issue.
FAQ: Learn more about using Photoshop
- Can I download Photoshop for free?
Yes, you can download Photoshop as part of a free seven-day trial. However, you can only use it until the trial period ends. Later on, choosing a Creative Cloud subscription and paying for it is mandatory.
- Can I buy Adobe Photoshop permanently?
Yes, you can buy the latest standalone version (CS6) permanently.
- Can I still use Photoshop after canceling the subscription?
No, you cannot use the software after canceling the subscription. Do note that if you cancel within the first 30 days, Adobe will issue a full refund.
However, if you do so after the first 30 days, Adobe will refund only half of your remaining contract obligation.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in May 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.