How do I fix instant search in Windows 10 when it does not work?
This article is intended for those of you who are having issues with the search feature available in Windows 10 metro apps after pressing the Start button or the Windows button. You can rest assured that by the end of this article you will be able to fix your search feature in Windows 10 metro apps and get your operating system up and running in no time.
The search feature usually stops responding in Windows 10 especially for ultrabooks and even if you press the F3 button or the taskbar search button it will not make your search feature operational. You might get this issue from a third party application you previously installed on your Windows 10 device or you might have some registry keys damaged nevertheless you can read the lines posted in the tutorial below for a detailed explanation about how to fix your search feature in Windows 10
Tutorial for fixing the Instant search in Windows 10 Technical Preview:
1. Run a selective startup
- Press and hold the “Windows” button and the “R” button.
- Now you should have the “Run” window in front of you.
- In the run box write the following: “msconfig”.
- Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard or left click on the “OK” button.
- Now the “System Configuration” window should pop up on the screen.
- Left click or tap on the “Services” tab situated in the upper side of the window.
- Now check the box next to the “Hide all Microsoft services” situated in the lower left side of this window.
- After you checked the box from the step above left click or tap on the “Disable All” button situated in the lower right side of this window.
- Left click or tap on the “General” tab situated in the upper side of the window.
- Left click or tap on the “Selective Startup” feature.
- Uncheck the box next to “Load Startup items”.
- Close the “System Configuration” window.
- Reboot your Windows 10 operating system.
- When the system starts you will have to check if the Instant Search feature works in the metro apps from Windows 10.
- If the feature is not working then proceed with the next method below.
- If the Search feature works then you will have to disable each application at a time from the start-up menu by following the steps above but disabling them separately by unchecking the mark next to each one and see what app is causing your system to malfunction in such a way that your search feature stops responding. If you find the application then you will have to uninstall it or just update it to the latest version available for Windows 10 systems.
2. Run an SFC scan
- Write in the search box present on the Start menu the following: “cmd” without the quotes.
- After the search has finished right click on the “Command Prompt” icon that shows.
- Left click or tap on the “Run as Administrator” feature.
- Left click or tap on the “Yes” button if you are prompt by a user account control message.
- Now you have the command prompt window in front of you.
- Write in the command prompt window the following: “sfc /scannow” without the quotes.
- Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard.
- Let the System file checker finish the process.
- After the process has finished close the command prompt window.
- Reboot your Windows 10 operating system.
- Check to see if you Instant search feature works in your Windows 10 operating system.
3. Use Windows Feedback app
Seeing that the Windows 10 Technical Preview version is not as stable as we would hope you will have to follow the lines below and write a feedback to Microsoft about your issue.
- In the search box in Windows, you will have to write the following: “Windows Feedback” without the quotes.
- Left click or tap on the “Windows Feedback” application.
- From the Windows Feedback application, you can follow the instructions on the screen and explain your issue regarding the Instant search feature of Windows 10.
4. Restart Windows Explorer
Many similar issues may be solved by simply restarting Windows Explorer. IN order to restart this, these are the steps you have to perform:
- Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del)
- Be sure that ‘More details’ option is activated. If it is not, click on the feature’s button:
- Now find Windows Explorer, right-click on it and select restart:
- Wait until all disappear from the screen, and comes back. Check if the search feature works.
You may also encounter problems after using the search feature a while. Many users reported that Windows search suddenly stopped working. Hopefully, you can find the right solutions on our site. If the fix does not work, do not bother as there are many search tools for Windows that you can use on your PC.
That’s it, folks, you have above some steps to follow and fix your Instant search feature in Windows 10 in no time. But if you have additional questions regarding this subject you can write us below in the comments section of the page and we will help you further.
READ ALSO: Cortana Search Box Missing on Windows 10