- Adjusting the brightness of your computer is not working in Windows 10 if there is an issue with the display driver.
- When the Windows brightness is not changing, check the power options settings.
- If you have issues with the display settings for your system, you can try to modify a registry.
- When your laptop brightness can't be adjusted, make sure to have your drivers up to date.
Brightness issues on your computer are usually associated with display drivers, and other power settings, which you may or may not be aware of.
If Windows won’t let you adjust brightness on your PC or laptop, these are the first two areas to check for besides trying the usual common fixes such as restarting your computer or updating Windows.
While updating Windows will work to install the latest drivers that could be pending on the updates tray, there are other solutions you can try that are listed below.
Keep in mind that every model of your laptop, as well as operating systems, are different, even as you check on the settings for each fix.
You can apply the below solutions for any type of laptop, such as Asus VivoBook, HP, or Dell when the brightness is not working.
What can I do if the laptop brightness won’t change?
1. Update the display adapter drivers
- Right-click Start and click Device Manager.
- Expand Display Adapters.
- Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on Update Driver Software.
- Select the option to automatically search for the updated driver software.
- Restart the computer after it’s updated and verified.
You can also try and get the latest drivers from your computer’s manufacturer website and download and install the latest display and chipset drivers.
Install the appropriate drivers missing from your laptop that can cause the brightness adjustment problem. If this does not work, we recommend trying a 3rd party driver updater.
DriverFix is one of our top recommendations when it comes to updater software. It is very lightweight and easy to use.
The tool will show exactly what drivers need updating. You’ll have both the option to update several drivers at once, if needed, or choose the Update button next to each driver.
It is designed to do the whole driver downloading and installing job instead of you. This is the best way to avoid permanent damage to your PC by getting the right driver versions.
Along with updating, DriverFix can also detect whether you have damaged drivers on your PC and automatically fix them.
2. Enable adaptive brightness
- Go to the Windows search bar and type Control Panel.
- Select Power Options.
- Click the Change plan settings link next to your current power plan.
- Click Change advance power settings.
- In the new window click Display to open up the listings under it.
- Find and click each of the following: Display brightness, Dimmed display brightness, and Enable adaptive brightness.
- Change each of these to the desired settings.
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.
A feature of the Windows operating system, adaptive brightness uses an ambient light sensor to automatically adjust a display’s brightness to the surroundings.
3. Enable the PnP Monitor driver
- Right-click on Start and select Device Manager.
- Click Monitors.
- Right-click on Generic PnP monitor to see if it is enabled.
- If not enabled, click Enabled device. If it is enabled, disable it.
- Click on the Action tab at the top menu of Devices Manager.
- Select Scan for Hardware Changes.
- Run the scan.
PnP stands for plug-and-play hardware devices, that work without having to install a driver. You consider it the generic driver for the display that will automatically get installed by Windows.
4. Update the registry
- Right-click on Start icon and type RegEdit.
- Click on it to open.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Select System.
- Go to ControlSet001.
- Click Control.
- Select the below registry and set FeatureTestControl DWORD’s value data to 0000ffff:
If you’re still unable to adjust brightness on your laptop, try updating the registry. Back up the registry before you modify it, then restore it if a problem occurs.
This solution contains steps that are part of modifying the registry. Please note that serious problems may occur if you do this incorrectly. Ensure you follow these steps correctly, and carefully.
If this issue persists, you should also ask for a specialist’s help. If your screen is faulty, updating your drivers won’t solve the problem.
If the display is affected by hardware issues, then most likely, you’ll need to get a new display.
If you’re still having trouble adjusting brightness on your Windows 10 computer, post a comment in the section below and let us know the details.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most of the time, there is a display driver issue. Use our guide on what to do if the brightness slider is not working.
There are many solutions to calibrate it for Windows 10. Check our guide on how to calibrate your touchscreen.
If you encounter errors with your display after a Windows 10 update, try out our quick solutions to resolve display issues.