Many websites use Java in order to provide you with certain functionality. In addition to websites, Java and Java applications can also run on your PC locally.
Jar files not opening on Windows 10 — how can we fix it?
Fix – Jar files not opening Windows 10
Solution 1 – Reinstall or update Java Runtime Environment
If you can’t run jar files on your Windows 10 PC, you might need to reinstall Java Runtime Environment. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- When the Settings app opens, go to the System section. Now, choose Apps & features from the left pane.
- Locate Java from the list and choose the Uninstall option.
After doing that, navigate to Java’s website and download the latest version of the software.
Once installed, check if the problem is resolved. Keep in mind that it’s not mandatory that you remove your previous Java installation, so you can skip that step and just install the latest version on top.
Java will also automatically check for updates, and if updates are available you’ll get a notification.
To update Java, simply click the notification and choose the Update option. Now follow the instructions to complete the update.
Download this tool we highly recommend
You can open .jar files and other hundreds of different formats with a single application. FileViewer Plus 3 is a universal file viewer for Windows that can open and display over 300 different file types. You can also edit text and image files. Download it for free from the official website or buy it at an affordable price.
Solution 2 – Set file association
Jar files can’t run on your PC if you don’t have the proper associations. For example, jar files can be associated to run with other applications or they could lack file association completely.
If the situation is the latter one, you won’t be able to run jar files on your PC. However, you can easily fix this problem by changing the file association for jar files. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app. Navigate to the System > Default apps.
- Scroll all the way down and select Choose default apps by file type.
- Locate the .jar file type and choose a default application.
This method offers limited options and you can only choose applications recognized by Windows 10. Fortunately, there’s another method that you can try. To change file associations, do the following:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Control Panel from the list.
- When Control Panel opens, select Default Programs.
- Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
- Locate the .jar file on the list and double-click it.
- A list of suggested applications will appear. Click on More apps.
- Scroll all the way down and choose Look for another app on this PC.
- Locate the javaw.exe file. By default, the application should be located in Program Files folder. Select the application and choose it as a default for .jar files.
- Optional: Some users recommend changing the parameters of javaw.exe. To do that, simply locate the file and create its shortcut. Right-click it and navigate to the Properties. Now, locate the Target file and add –jar “%1” % . Be sure to select this newly created shortcut in Step 7.
Solution 3 – Use Jarfix
If you can’t open jar files on Windows 10, you might be able to fix the problem by using Jarfix. As previously mentioned, these types of problems can occur due to file association, but you can fix them easily with this simple application.
To do that, follow these steps:
- Download Jarfix.
- Run the application and follow the instructions on the screen. Keep in mind that you need to run this application as an administrator for it to work properly.
After using this application, you should be able to run jar files on Windows 10 without any issues.
Solution 4 – Create a .bat file
According to users, you can run jar files on Windows 10 by using this simple workaround. This solution requires you to create a .bat file and use it every time you want to run a specific jar file.
The process is rather simple and you can do it by following these steps:
- Locate your jar file. In the same folder, create a new Notepad file. To do that, right-click empty space in the directory and choose New > Text Document.
- When Notepad opens, enter java -jar filename.jar. Be sure to replace filename.jar with the actual name of the file.
- Navigate to the File > Save as.
- Set Save as type to All files. Now, enter the desired name for the file. Keep in mind that you need to have .bat as an extension or else the solution won’t work. Save the file in the same location where your jar file is located.
After doing that, locate your .bat file and double-click it. Your jar file will now open. Keep in mind that you need to repeat this process for every jar file that you want to run on your PC.
In addition, be sure to save the .bat file in the same location as your jar file.
Solution 5 – Move the jar file to the root directory and run it with Command Prompt
According to users, you can run jar files on Windows 10 simply by using Command Prompt. To do that, locate the jar file and move it to a root directory such as C for example.
After doing that, you need to follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
- When Command Prompt opens, enter the following commands:
After doing that, your jar file should open without any issues. Keep in mind that you don’t have to move your jar file to the root directory, but by doing so you can access the file faster.
If you choose not to move the file, you need to use cd command to navigate to the directory where the jar file is located.
Alternatively, you can enter java -jar followed by the path to the jar file. This isn’t the best solution but it is a solid workaround, so feel free to try it.
Solution 6 – Use JAR Runner
Another freeware application that can help you open jar files on Windows 10 is JAR Runner. Simply download and install this tool and drag and drop the jar file to JAR Runner .exe file.
In addition, you can also choose to open jar files with JAR Runner. This is a simple and free application, so be sure to download JAR Runner.
Solution 7 – Check if your extension is correct
If you can’t open a jar file that you downloaded, you need to check its extension. Some web browsers might not save jar files properly, so you need to check their extension.
To do that, follow these steps:
- Locate the problematic jar file in File Explorer.
- Go to the View menu and check File name extensions.
- Now, check if your jar file has .jar extension at the end. If not, rename the file and change the extension to .jar.
- After doing that, try to run the file again.
If this problem persists, you might want to check your browser. Sometimes, it can download jar files incorrectly and can cause this problem to appear.
To fix it, be sure to use a different browser to download the file and check if that solves the problem.
Jar files not opening on Windows 10 can be a big problem, especially if you use Java applications frequently. However, you should be able to fix the problem simply by using one of our solutions!
Let us know if one of them worked for you in the comments below!
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2017 and has been revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness. We want to be sure that our list has the best products that will fit your needs.