FIX: Kaspersky Antivirus won’t Update on Windows PCs
How to fix Kaspersky database out of date?
- Check Your Kaspersky Subscription’s Expiry Date
- Check the Software’s Update Settings
- Adjust the Date and Time Settings in Windows
- Deselect Battery Saving for Kaspersky Anti-Virus
- Uninstall Other Anti-Virus Software
- Select the Do not use Proxy Server Option
The Kaspersky Anti-Virus software is among the most highly rated anti-virus utilities for Windows. However, an outdated Kaspersky Anti-Virus package isn’t much good. Kaspersky Anti-Virus doesn’t always update for some users and displays a “Databases extremely out of date” message to highlight that. This is how you can fix a KAV utility that isn’t updating.
Kaspersky update failed, how do I fix it?
1. Check Your Kaspersky Subscription’s Expiry Date
Note the Kaspersky software only gets updated for its subscription period. Thus, it might just be the case that you need to update your Kaspersky subscription. As such, check your Kaspersky Anti-Virus subscription’s expiry date.
2. Check the Software’s Update Settings
Most users probably assume that Kaspersky will update automatically. However, note that there is a Download and install new versions automatically option in Kaspersky Anti-Virus. If that option hasn’t been selected, there aren’t any automatic updates. You can check that option is selected as follows.
- Open the Kaspersky Anti-Virus window.
- Click the gear button on the KAV window.
- Click Additional > Update to open the update settings.
- Select the Download and install new versions automatically option if it isn’t selected.
- In addition, click Configure user account settings on Update settings.
- Select Current user if you configured Kaspersky to run updates for another user, and press the Save button.
3. Adjust the Date and Time Settings in Windows
Kaspersky update issues are often due to the Windows date and time settings. Kaspersky Anti-Virus might not update even if you’re system clock is slightly off the actual time by a few hours. As such, check your Windows 10 time and date settings as follows.
- Press the Cortana button on the taskbar to open its search bar.
- Enter ‘date and time’ in the search box so that you can select Change the date and time.
- You can adjust the date and time by switching the Set the time automatically option off.
- Then press the Change button to open the window shown below.
- Check a totally reliable clock for the time, and adjust the date and time settings on that window accordingly. Then press the Change button.
- Note that there might be something up with your laptop’s or desktop’s CMOS battery. If so, it’s probably better to sync your system’s time with the Microsoft time server as outlined in this post.
4. Deselect Battery Saving for Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Note that Kaspersky Anti-Virus has a Battery Saving option that turns off updates for laptops that aren’t plugged in. So if you’re utilizing a laptop, Battery Saving might be why Kaspersky isn’t updating. This is how you can turn off Battery Saving for KAV.
- First, click Settings to open the Settings window.
- Select Performance on the left of the window.
- Then deselect the Disable scheduled scan tasks while running on battery power option to turn off Battery Saving.
5. Uninstall Other Anti-Virus Software
It’s not a good idea to have more than one anti-virus utility installed. If you do have another anti-virus package running, that software might conflict with Kaspersky Anti-Virus and block the updates. You can remove alternative anti-virus software from Windows as follows.
- Open the Run accessory by pressing the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Input ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the Open text box and press Enter to open the Programs and Features Control Panel applet.
- Select an anti-virus utility that isn’t Kaspersky software and click Uninstall.
- Then click Yes to provide further confirmation.
6. Select the Do not use Proxy Server Option
Kaspersky not updating might also be due to proxy server settings. If you’re not utilizing a proxy connection, check that the Do not use proxy server option is selected. You can do that as follows.
- Click the gear button at the bottom left of the software’s window to open Settings.
- Click Additional on the Settings window.
- Then select Network to open networking options.
- Click Proxy server settings to open a window that includes proxy server options.
- Then select the Do not use proxy server option.
- If you are utilizing a proxy connection, double-check the proxy server settings for Kaspersky on the Proxy Server window.
Those are a few tips that will probably get Kaspersky Anti-Virus updated. Some of those resolutions might also fix other Kaspersky Lab software that aren’t updating.
In an average corporate/business setting, the major sources of power consumption are usually servers/data centers (if any) and computer systems (laptops and desktops). There is […]
In the past, if you wanted to construct a steel structure,you first needed to manually create a construction plan and draw hundreds of sketches on […]