The Windows 10 October 2018 Update is just around the corner. Microsoft is expected to release this new OS version in October, although the exact release date is still unknown. In order to make the update process as smooth as possible, the tech giant rolled out cumulative update KB4457136.
This patch adds a series of important bug fixes and improvements to the table. Perhaps the most important one refers to the update compatibility fix that ensures your computer is ready to install the latest Windows 10 update.
Addresses an issue with evaluating the compatibility status of the Windows ecosystem to help ensure application and device compatibility for all updates to Windows.
In other words, if you’re running the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and you’re planning to install the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, then you should download KB4457136 in orderto avoid any potential update issues and errors.
Windows 10 KB4457136 fixes and improvements
Apart from these update compatibility improvements, the patch also brings many other bug fixes for Microsoft Outlook, Remove Desktop, Windows Defender and other OS components. Here are some of the most important improvements:
- Addresses an issue with the file previewer for .html, .mht, and email (MIME) attachments in Microsoft Outlook.
- Addresses an issue that prevents Microsoft Narrator from accessing the contents of Windows Security dialogs displayed by a low integrity level process.
- Addresses an issue that, in some cases, prevents installing encrypted .appx packages.
- Addresses an issue that may cause the system to become unresponsive when applications call the EnableEUDC API.
- Addresses an issue that causes login to fail when using a smart card to log in to a Remote Desktop Server. The error is “STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE”.
- Addresses an issue that causes a delay in unlocking or signing in to a computer that was moved to a different network.
- Addresses an issue that causes a Direct Access connection to fail when the client authentication certificate is stored in the TPM device.
- Addresses an issue on some laptops that prevents sign-out from completing. The issue occurs when a customer signs out and immediately closes the laptop. As a result, when the laptop is reopened, the device must be restarted.
- Addresses an issue that causes logging on to a Remote Desktop Session Host Server to occasionally stop responding.
There are no known issues affecting this update. If you encountered various issues while downloading the patch or shortly after installing it, use the comment section below to tell us more about your experience.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Install KB4464218, KB4464217 to fix VPN issues on Windows 10
- KB4457128 installs twice and breaks File Explorer
- Fix Windows update issues with these two tools