The October Patch Tuesday updates are here and they come with an assortment of new features.
Microsoft rolled out several improvements for Windows 10, including:
- Updates to improve security when using Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.
- Updates for verifying user names and passwords.
- Improvements for storing and managing files.
Here’s the full list of changes and improvements for KB4520008:
- Addresses an issue in the Keyboard Lockdown Subsystem that may not filter key input correctly.
- Addresses an issue with the Bluetooth hardening updates, released August 13, 2019, that may cause a “0x133 DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION” error.
- Addresses an issue in security bulletin CVE-2019-1318 that may cause client or server computers that don’t support Extended Master Secret (EMS) RFC 7627 to have increased connection latency and CPU utilization. This issue occurs while performing full Transport Layer Security (TLS) handshakes from devices that don’t support EMS, especially on servers. EMS support has been available for all the supported versions of Windows since calendar year 2015 and is being incrementally enforced by the installation of the October 8, 2019 and later monthly updates.
- Security updates to Windows Shell, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Cryptography, Windows Authentication, Windows Datacenter Networking , Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Kernel, Microsoft Scripting Engine, and Windows Server.
However, KB4520008 comes with its fair share of issues.
As an example, Windows Mixed Reality Portal users may intermittently receive a “15-5” error code.
Additionally, some Windows Mixed Reality Portal users may report that the headset is sleeping and pressing Wake up may appear to produce no action.
A workaround to this issue, as recommended by Microsoft, would be to stop the Windows Mixed Reality Portal using the Task Manager, and then restarting it.
If you’ve set up your Windows 10 to update automatically, this update will be applied as soon as possible.
If you’ve installed the latest updates and have encountered other issues, please let us know in the comment sections below.