This year Microsoft is starting off strong when it comes to updates.. The Patch Tuesday January 2020 updates bring not only the typical new features, bug fixes, and security patches, but it also marks a turning point for Windows as an OS.
The Patch Tuesday January 2020 updates are the last set of updates that will also include Windows 7, as it has officially reached the end of its life.
This means that the OS will no longer be supported and that now users will have to either continue using an unsafe OS or upgrade to Windows 10, and users are urged to upgrade to Windows 10 immediately.
KB4534310 and KB4534314 changelog
The update notes are general and refer to the security improvements added to various OS components:
- Security updates to the Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Storage and Filesystems, and Windows Server.
As you can see, the last Windows 7 Patch Tuesday updates are not so rich in system optimization improvements.
- Download KB4534310 [DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK FROM MICROSOFT]
- Download KB4534314 [DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK FROM MICROSOFT]
Windows 7 users are getting more EOS notifications
Starting January 15, Windows 7 users will receive regular notifications about the risks of continuing to use an outdated OS.
Starting on January 15, 2020, a full-screen notification will appear that describes the risk of continuing to use Windows 7 Service Pack 1 after it reaches end of support on January 14, 2020. The notification will remain on the screen until you interact with it. This notification will only appear on the following editions of Windows 7 Service Pack 1:
- Home Basic.
- Home Premium.
- Professional. If you have purchased the Extended Security Update (ESU), the notification will not appear. For more information, see How to get Extended Security Updates for eligible
- Windows devices and Lifecycle FAQ-Extended Security Updates.
Do you think the notifications will convince users to upgrade sooner? Let us know what you think in the comment section below.
Editor’s Note: If you’re still not sure whether you should upgrade to Windows 10 or not, you’ll find all the information you need to take the right decision in these guides:
- Switching from Windows 7 to Windows 10 [ULTIMATE GUIDE]
- Windows 7 vs Windows 10: The better gaming OS
- Should I upgrade from Windows 7 to Mac?