Steam is the best platform for gamers, but many users reported Key request failed Steam error. This error can be problematic and prevent you from playing your favorite games, but there’s a way to fix it.
How to fix Key request failed Steam error on my PC? This issue can occur due to corrupted files, so be sure to verify your game files first. If that doesn’t work, open the Settings page in Steam and clear the download cache. If the issue is still there, disable Enhanced Protected Mode in Internet Settings and make sure that Steam is allowed to go through your firewall.
How can I fix Failed to request product key from Steam error?
- Verify your game files
- Clear your download cache
- Change your Internet settings
- Modify your shortcut
- Rename client registry
- Open your game through browse local files
- Add an exception to your Firewall
- Reinstall Steam
1. Verify your game files
One way to fix Key request failed Steam error is to check the integrity of the game you’re trying to run. You can do that by following these steps:
- Open up the Steam window.
- Click the Library to open the game collection.
- Then right-click on your game and select Properties.
- Press the Verify integrity of game files button.
2. Clear your download cache
You can also fix Key request failed error by clearing your download cache:
- Open your Steam client and navigate to Settings.
- Select Downloads in the Settings panel.
- Click on Clear Download Cache, next click OK to confirm your choice, Steam will ask for your login details afterward.
- After logging in again, Steam will start as expected.
3. Change your Internet settings
Sometimes the best way to fix Key request failed error is to modify your Internet settings. To do that follow these steps:
- Open the Internet Settings window.
- Select the Advanced tab and scroll down the Security listings.
- Uncheck Enable Enhanced Protected Mode.
- Restart your machine and launch Steam.
4. Modify your shortcut
Sometimes you might fix Key request failed Steam error simply by adding a -tcp parameter to Steam.
- Locate your Steam client.
- Create a shortcut of Steam in the same directory.
- Click Properties and head over to the General tab.
- In the Target dialogue box, add -tcp in the end and click Apply.
- Use this shortcut as long as Steam launches.
5. Rename client registry file
Completely exit Steam and end all Steam tasks and follow these steps:
- Browse to your Steam directory.
- Locate ClientRegistry.blob file.
- Rename the file to ClientRegistryOld.blob.
- Restart Steam and allow the file to be recreated.
6. Open your game through browse local files
In order to perform this workaround, simply open your Steam client, and next head over to your Library, select the game in question, right-click on it, and select Properties. Now select Browse Local Files, open the game’s executable file and run it from there.
7. Add an exception to your Firewall
If Steam is blocked by your firewall, you might encounter Key request failed error. To fix this issue, do the following:
- From the Start Menu open Control Panel.
- In the Manage security settings area, select Windows Firewall.
- Click on Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click Change settings. Locate Steam on the list and check both Private and Public. If Steam isn’t available, click on Add another app to add it.
- Click OK and you’re good to go.
8. Reinstall Steam
When all the other solutions fail, we can try reinstalling Steam. First of all, uninstall Steam and remove all residual files. Restart your PC and launch Steam with administrative privileges. Steam will start updating itself to replace the missing files. Hopefully, it will work as expected.
If your game is purchased on a different client, use the client’s official website to redeem your product key. After that write down your code and use it on Steam.
We hope that these fixes were of help to you and that you managed to fix Key request failed Steam error. If these solutions worked for you, feel free to let us know in the comments sections below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT: