Fix: Keyboard not working after Windows 10 rollback
Microsoft offers Windows 10 as a free upgrade for all Windows 8 and Windows 7 owners, but if you’re not pleased with Windows 10 you can easily rollback to the previous version of Windows. Several users reported that keyboard isn’t working on their Windows after performing rollback, so let’s see if we can fix that.
Keyboard not working after Windows 10 rollback
Solution 1 – Start Safe Mode
Users reported issues with keyboard after rolling back from Windows 10, and if your keyboard isn’t working you might want to try starting Windows in Safe Mode. Safe Mode starts with default applications and drivers, therefore using Safe Mode can sometimes fix these types of errors.
To enter Safe Mode do the following:
- Restart your computer few times during the boot sequence to start the Automatic Repair.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup settings and click the Restart button.
- When your computer restarts you’ll see a list of options. Select Safe Mode with Networking by pressing F5 or 5.
- Once the Safe Mode starts check if your keyboard works.
If your keyboard works without any problems in Safe Mode try starting Windows normally and check if the problem persists.
Solution 2 – Reinstall your keyboard driver
If your keyboard isn’t working after rollback from Windows 10, we suggest that you reinstall your keyboard driver. Reinstalling a certain driver is simple and you can do it by following these steps:
- Start Device Manager.
- Locate the Keyboards section and expand it.
- Locate your keyboard, right click it and choose Uninstall from the menu.
- When the confirmation window appears click OK.
After the keyboard driver is removed you need to restart your computer. When your PC restarts the default keyboard driver will be installed and your keyboard should start working.
Solution 3 – Copy the Driver folder from a working computer
Few users reported that they managed to fix this problem by copying driver folders from a working PC. Bear in mind that you need a working computer that uses the same operating system that are you currently using. For example, if you’re using 32-bit version of Windows 7 be sure to copy these folders from another 32-bit Windows 7. To copy these files you need to do the following:
- Go to C:\Windows\System32 folder and locate the drivers and DriverStore folders and Blue DRVSTORE file. If you can’t find the last file just copy the first two.
- Put those files on a USB flash drive and connect it to your PC.
- Paste those folders to C:\Windows\System32 folder on your PC and overwrite the existing folders.
We have to mention that this procedure can lead to system instability, therefore it might be a good idea to back up your original drivers and DriverStore folders just in case. If some issues emerge, you might have to restore the original folders in order to fix it. If the keyboard still isn’t working or if you have any issues after copying folders from a different PC, you might have to reinstall Windows in order to fix these problems.
If you’re still having issues with your peripherals and hardware or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we also recommend you to download this tool to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.
Rollback from Windows 10 can sometimes cause certain issues, but we hope that you managed to fix keyboard issues after using some of our solutions.
- Fix: Unable to Detach Surface Book from Keyboard
- 10 Best Bluetooth Keyboards for Windows 10
- Windows 10 Keyboard Shortcuts You Need to Know
- Fix: Keyboard and Mouse Not Working after Windows 10 Upgrade
- Fix: ‘Keyboard Freezes as Soon as I Sign-in my Microsoft Hotmail Account’
What Android emulator is the best for my Windows PC? Bluestacks MeMu Nox Remix OS Player Droid4X AMIDuOS Windroy Genymotion Xamarin Android Player Andy We’re […]
Recently, a security researcher @SandboxEscaper disclosed in a tweet which has been deleted (the account also has been removed), that the task scheduler is vulnerable […]
Microsoft may be developing a new wireless charging system called “Ultrafast’” for its devices, if a newly discovered patent gets approved for mass production. This […]