- Keygen.exe is a pirated software that can be carrying Trojans and malware. Its purpose is to create license keys for users in order to illegally register the software.
- This hack tool is barely used nowadays, but, still present within the pirating community.
- To get rid of it, you can try to scan your PC with a reliable Windows 10 built-in security tool.
- Another great solution is to use dedicated malware software to scan and remove any malware.
Pirated versions of software often come accompanied by security threats. Most of the time, they require secondary applications to run or register.
One of those is Keygen.exe, a simple application that can bring a bag full of malware or spyware right at your front door.
Our intention today is to explain what Keygen.exe is, how it can affect your PC, and how to deal with it. If you’re concerned about the negative effects, look below for a detailed explanation.
Named also Key Generator, is a hack tool but not malware per se. It mostly comes with the pirated software and its main use is to create license keys so users can illegally register the desired application.
Even though this tool isn’t malware by itself, it’s still illegal for obvious reasons, and it can be carrying Trojan, viruses or data-stealing keyloggers that will damage your PC.
In comparison to cracks, Keygen doesn’t modify any parts of the program. By modifying certain security algorithms, it enables any random license key to work.
After you’re prompted to insert the license key during the installation, this hack application will generate a code so you can manually insert it.
How can I remove the Keygen.exe malware?
1. Perform a quick virus scan
- Press the Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Go to the Update & Security section.
- Select Windows Security from the left panel.
- In the right panel, click on Open Windows Security.
- Select the Virus & threat protection, and click on Quick scan.
If you’re keen to get rid of Keygen and other related files, you can do it by deleting it manually. Just completely delete the downloaded files and that should be it.
On the other hand, there’s a chance that your system is already infected. Therefore, any infections detected may mean you will have some data loss.
2. Use a third-party antimalware software for a deep scan
Making sure that your PC is protected from the effects of the malware presence is of utmost importance. In this case, we suggest a full scan with a modern antivirus solution.
This antivirus is a next-generation security solution that is designed to be fast, stay out of the way, and keep your digital life safe.
It offers complete protection against viruses, worms, spam, spyware, and other malware. This AI-powered antivirus is continually improving itslef.
ESET Internet SecurityTo optimally protect your PC from malware and tools like Keygen, rely on one of the best antiviruses.
Even though Keygen.exe isn’t malware, in more than 50% of detections, it carries some kind of malicious software. That’s a risk certain users are willing to take, but we don’t advise you to do that.
We also recommend you keep your computer safe by installing the recommended antivirus or any of these great malware remover tools.
Don’t forget to tell us whether one of the solutions gets you through the problem. If you have any other suggestions or questions, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.