FIX: Kindle app not working on Windows 10
What to do if Kindle app won’t open on Windows 10
- Scan for malware
- Run SFC Scan/DISM
- Restart Kindle app
- Update system drivers
- Use CCleaner
- Use Disk Cleanup
- Run Kindle as administrator
- Change Permissions for Kindle
- Reinstall Kindle App
Kindle is a very popular e-book reader used by millions worldwide to browse, buy, and read books from Amazon Store.
There have been several complaints from Windows 10 users to our team about problems encountered with the Kindle app.
Nevertheless, the Kindle app for Windows is a good app but sometimes users may experience unexpected closing or Kindle application not loading. This could be due to the fact that the Kindle application is outdated or having compatibility issues with Windows 10. Also, the ‘Kindle Windows 10 not working’ problem may also be due to system issues.
SOLVED: Kindle app won’t open on PC
Solution 1: Scan for malware
Some brutal viruses and malware may corrupt program files belonging to the Kindle app thereby resulting in the Kindle Windows 10 not working problem. Therefore, you can utilize your antivirus program to run a full system scan.
However, we do recommend that you use MalwarebytesAdwCleaner. This malware removal tool will scan and remove malware from your computer. This is particularly useful for removing invisible malware which could be accountable for ‘Kindle Windows 10 not working’ problem.
Follow these steps to download, install, and use MalwarebytesAdwCleaner on your Windows PC:
- Download MalwarebytesAdwCleaner at the official website.
- Double-click on the download .exe file.
- Right-click on the MalwarebytesAdwCleaner icon > select “Run as administrator”.
- In the MalwarebytesAdwCleaner display, click on the “Scan” button to commence the scanning operation.
- Hit the “Clean” button > click OK to reboot your PC to complete cleaning.
Alternatively, you can also use Windows built-in antivirus Windows Defender or any third-party antivirus such as BullGuard or Bitdefender to run a full system scan.
Meanwhile, if you still experience ‘Kindle Windows 10 not working’ problem, you can proceed to the next solution.
Solution 2: Run SFC Scan/DISM
System File Checker utility program validate the integrity of all system files and repairs files with problems when possible. Here’s how to run an SFC scan on Windows 10:
- Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator.
- Now, type the sfc /scannow command.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
In addition, you can also run DISM to check for undetected corrupt system files by SFC. Deployment Image Servicing and Management can also be used to scan and resolve issues of corrupt system files.
Here’s how to run DISM in Windows:
- Press Windows key + X and run Command Prompt (Admin).
- Copy and paste the following command on the command line:
- In case the DISM can’t obtain files online, try using your installation USB or DVD. Insert media and type following command:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:RepairSourceWindows /LimitAccess
- Be sure to replace “C:RepairSourceWindows” path of your DVD or USB.
Note: Ensure that you replaced repair source path with your own.
Solution 3: Restart Kindle app
Another workaround applicable in solving ‘Kindle Windows 10 not working’ problem is to restart the Kindle program. Some programs may be incompatible with Kindle app while running; therefore, you should stop such process, and then restart Kindle app afterwards.
Here’s how to restart Kindle:
- Close the dialog message that informs you of Kindle crash.
- Right-click on the taskbar and open Task Manager.
- Make sure to kill the main and related processes related to kindle.
- Now, try starting Kindle again and look for changes.
Note: if Kindle app does not launch after following the steps aforementioned, you should restart your PC, and then launch Kindle afterwards.
- READ ALSO: eBook reader for your Windows PC
Solution 4: Update system drivers
Therefore, the best way around this is to either run Windows Update or use automated tool to update system drivers. In order to run Windows Update, check out this post for an exclusive guide on how to run Windows Update on your Windows 10 PC.
Meanwhile, note that manually updating your system drivers is an advanced procedure. If care is not taken, installing the wrong driver versions may damage your PC.
Therefore, you need to use an automated tool which would scan your PC and give you the best driver versions that you should install. We strongly recommend TweakBit’s Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
Disclaimer: Some features of this tool are not free.
Solution 5: Use CCleaner
In addition, CCleaner is another automated tool which removes temporary files, repairs PC registry, removes missing DLLs, software leftovers, and invalid Windows registry keys. Therefore, it is applicable in solving the ‘Kindle Windows 10 not working’ problem because it can remove temporary files which could cause the Kindle issue.
Here’s how to download, install, and use CCleaner:
- Download CCleaner free version or Download CCleaner Pro version.
- Install and follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- After installation, launch CCleaner, and then click on “Analyze” option.
- After CCleaner has finished scanning, click on “Run Cleaner”. Follow the prompts to enable CCleaner fix the Windows registry.
You can also use other third-party registry cleaners. For more information on the best registry cleaners to install, check out our list.
Solution 6: Use Disk Cleanup
Some Windows users were able to fix the ‘Kindle Windows 10 not working’ problem simply by removing temporary files using Disk Cleanup. Temporary files on the other hand, after sometimes they become surplus and can generate problems within the system. Therefore, we do recommend that you run a Disk Cleanup.
- READ ALSO: 10 best uninstaller software for PC users
Here’s how to run Disk Cleanup:
- Open This PC.
- Right-click the system partition and open Properties.
- Choose Disk Cleanup.
- Check boxes beside Temporary files.
- Confirm selection and clean temporary files.
Afterwards, you should be able to launch Kindle without a glitch. However, if you still experience the ‘Kindle Windows 10 not working’ glitch, you can try a more advanced workaround below.
Solution 7: Run Kindle as administrator
Another workaround applicable in resolving ‘Kindle Windows 10 not working’ problem is to run the program as administrator.
Follow these instructions to run Kindle as administrator:
- Navigate to the installation folder of Kindle program.
- Locate the kindle.exe file, right-click and open Properties.
- In the Compatibility tab, check the box beside the “Run as Administrator” box.
- Click OK.
By following these steps, you should be able to launch Kindle app without worries.
Solution 8: Change Permissions for Kindle
You can also fix ‘Kindle Windows 10 not working’ issue by changing its permission in ‘Data Execution Prevention’ (DEP) feature.
Follow the steps to change permissions for Kindle in DEP:
- Open This PC and click on System Properties.
- Under the Advanced tab > Performance, click on Settings.
- Click on Data Execution Prevention tab.
- Choose “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select”.
- Click Add and browse to the installation folder of the troubled app and locate the .exe file.
- Set an exception and confirm changes.
Solution 9: Reinstall Kindle App
Most of the times, Windows users download Kindle for Windows 10 app from unofficial download site. This is considered risky because most of these unofficial download sites contains malware, viruses, ransomware, etc. which could damage your PC in the long run. Also, you may end up download incompatible/non-working Kindle app.
To cut a long story short, download Kindle Windows 10 app from either Amazon official website or from Windows 10 Store. Not only is this considered safe, but you are also able to contact support center in case you experience difficulties or errors while using kindle application.
Conclusively, we do hope that any of the aforementioned workarounds for solving ‘Kindle Windows 10 not working’ issue works well for you. In case you have any questions or suggestions, we advise you to post them in the comments below. We’ll be glad to help.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- 10 best eBook converters for Windows PCs
- 10 Best Windows 10 ePub Readers
- How to set Microsoft Edge to read your eBooks aloud
Microsoft has released an update for Adobe Flash Player, that was described in Adobe’s Security Bulletin which was released December 7th, 2018. The update fixes […]
It looks like we are now going to be enjoying constant updates, Reddit discussion comments, and rumours and gossip about the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge […]
Having a nice Christmas tree in your house helps you to bring the winter holiday mood to your home. You can also bring this mood […]