- Kindle is probably the most popular e-book reader in the world.
- If the Kindle app is not working on your Windows 10 PC, follow the steps from this comprehensive guide.
- If you're looking for other utilities, look no further than our Software section.
- Our Windows 10 Hub welcomes you with extremely diverse and eloquent articles about Windows.
What can I do if the Kindle app won’t open on Windows 10?
- Update the system drivers
- Scan for malware
- Use IObit Advanced System Care
- Run SFC scan/DISM
- Restart the Kindle app
- Use Disk Cleanup
- Run Kindle as administrator
- Change the permissions for Kindle
- Reinstall the Kindle App
Kindle is a very popular e-book reader used by millions worldwide to browse, buy, and read books from Amazon Store.
There have been several complaints from Windows 10 users to our team about problems encountered with the Kindle app.
Nevertheless, the Kindle app for Windows is a good app but sometimes users may experience unexpected closing or not loading issues.
This could be due to the fact that the Kindle application is outdated or having compatibility issues with Windows 10. Also, the Kindle Windows 10 not working problem may also be due to system issues.
How can I fix Kindle for PC if it’s not responding?
1. Update system drivers
Manually updating your system drivers is an advanced procedure. Installing the wrong driver versions may damage your PC.
Therefore, you need to use an automated tool that would scan your PC and provide the best driver versions for your system. We strongly recommend DriverFix to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
Here’s how you can update your drivers in just 3 steps:
- Download and install DriverFix
- Immediately after you start it, the tool will automatically start scanning your PC for any issues with existing drivers or for new ones.
- After finishing, you will just need to check the boxes for the drivers you want to install or update.
This solution is so simple and it only takes a couple of clicks. There’s a great chance that your problem will be solved and you won’t need another solution.
DriverFixWindows drivers are notorious for causing problems but DriverFix will solve the Kindle problem in record time!
2. Scan for malware
Some brutal viruses and malware may corrupt program files belonging to the Kindle app thereby resulting in the Kindle Windows 10 not working.
Therefore, you can use your antivirus program to run a full system scan. We strongly recommend using Bitdefender Antivirus Plus.
This malware removal tool will scan and remove any malware from your computer, even the invisible malware which could be accountable for this Kindle app problem.
After you installed it and run a full scan, you will definitely get rid of any threat from your computer but you should also think about its future protection.
With Bitdefender Antivirus Plus you don’t get just an antivirus but a full security solution that includes a VPN, a firewall, and even a password manager among other functions.
Sometimes, some software has problems with antivirus interfering and you will need to turn off your antivirus temporarily.
Bitdefender doesn’t cause any interferences but if you need to disable it for some reason, you can do so with a click of a button from its dashboard.
Bitdefender Antivirus PlusBitdefender will solve the Kindle for Windows 10 problem in just a moment and you will have a top security solution on your PC.
3. Use IObit Advanced SystemCare
IObit Advanced System Care is another automated tool that removes temporary files, repairs the PC registry, removes missing DLLs, software leftovers, and invalid Windows registry keys.
Therefore, it is applicable in solving the Kindle Windows 10 not working problem because it can remove temporary files which could cause the Kindle issue.
Advanced SystemCare cleans junk files on Windows to free space on your computer. System logs, temporary files, image caches, and update caches disappear after just one click from your hard drive.
And while you started it, it will also increase your Internet connection speed. You just need to turn on the Internet Booster feature. This PRO feature is free for a limited time.
IOBit Advanced SystemCareThis is the best tool to optimize your computer and get rid of that Kindle app problem.
4. Run SFC scan/DISM
Run SFC scan
- Click on Start, type cmd , and click on Run as administrator under Command Prompt.
- Type the sfc /scannow command.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
- Press Windows key + X and run Command Prompt (Admin).
- Copy and paste the following command on the command line:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- In case the DISM can’t obtain files online, try using your installation USB or DVD. Insert media and type following command:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:RepairSourceWindows /LimitAccess
Note: Be sure to replace C:RepairSourceWindows with the path from your DVD or USB.
5. Restart the Kindle app
- Close the dialog message that informs you of Kindle crash.
- Right-click on the taskbar and open Task Manager.
- Make sure to kill the main and related processes related to kindle.
- Try starting Kindle again and look for changes.
Note: If Kindle app does not launch after following the steps aforementioned, you should restart your PC, and then launch Kindle afterward.
6. Use Disk Cleanup
- Open This PC.
- Right-click the system partition and open Properties.
- Choose Disk Cleanup.
- Check the boxes beside Temporary files.
- Confirm the selection and clean the temporary files.
7. Run Kindle as administrator
- Navigate to the installation folder of the Kindle program.
- Locate the kindle.exe file, right-click , and open Properties.
- In the Compatibility tab, check the box beside the Run as Administrator box.
- Click OK.
8. Change the permissions for Kindle
- Open This PC and click on System Properties.
- Under the Advanced tab go to Performance, then click on Settings.
- Click on Data Execution Prevention tab.
- Choose Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
- Click Add and browse to the installation folder of the troubled app and locate the .exe file.
- Set an exception and confirm changes.
9. Reinstall the Kindle app
Most of the time, Windows users download Kindle for Windows 10 app from an unofficial download site.
This is considered risky because most of these unofficial download sites contain malware, viruses, ransomware, etc. which could damage your PC in the long run.
Also, you may end up downloading an incompatible/non-working Kindle app.
To cut a long story short, it is recommended that you download Kindle Windows 10 app from either Amazon official website or from Windows 10 Store.
Not only is this considered safe, but you are also able to contact the support center in case you experience difficulties or errors while using the Kindle application.
We do hope that any of the aforementioned solutions for the Kindle Windows 10 not working issue fixed your problem.
In case you have any questions or suggestions, we advise you to post them in the comments below. We’ll be glad to help.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in September 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.