- The first step is to tweak the SoftwareProtectionPlatform settings. Go to Windows Update, check the list of installed updates and uninstall KB971033, then restart your computer for the changes to take effect
- If there is no KMS server available, you can use the MAK key instead. Another method would be to configure a KMS host server. Learn how to do all this in our guide below.
- Unfortunately, activation errors still happen but if you experience one, go straight to our Activation errors section to learn what to do.
- If you still have the old Windows 7 installed and you have problems that need solutions, you can count on finding on in our Windows 7 fix hub.
The latest Windows 7 updates, including KB4480970, brought quite a long list of bugs. Here are some of the most frequent issues reported by users: network drive doesn’t work, SMBv2 sharing often stops working, database format is not recognized and so on.
If you’re interested, you can read this report to learn more about these issues.
Users who complained about KMS errors also pointed out the following issues:
- KMS activation error 0x80070002
- Windows 10 kms activation error 0xc004f074
- Windows 7 activate error this product is incapable of kms activation
- Office 2010 kms activation error 0x80072f8f
Apart from the bugs listed in our previous report, recent user reports confirmed KMS activation errors are on the rise as well. As a result, we compiled this list of potential solutions to fix these errors.
How can I fix Windows 7 KMS activation errors?
Method 1: Tweak SoftwareProtectionPlatform settings
- Go to Windows Update > check the list of installed updates > uninstall KB971033
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect
- Go to Start > launch Command Prompt as administrator
- Enter the following commands:
- net stop sppsvc
del %windir%system327B296FB0-376B-497e-B012-9C450E1B7327-5P-0.C7483456-A289-439d-8115-601632D005A0 /ah
del %windir%system327B296FB0-376B-497e-B012-9C450E1B7327-5P-1.C7483456-A289-439d-8115-601632D005A0 /ah
net start sppsvc
lmgr /ipk 33PXH-7Y6KF-2VJC9-XBBR8-HVTHH
- Note: Use a key that’s compatible with your environment. The example above is a key for Win7 Enterprise. For more information on the keys to use, go to Microsoft’s support page.
- slmgr /ato
Method 2: Use a MAK product key
If there is no KMS server available, you can use the MAK key instead.
- Launch Command prompt as an administrator and enter this command:
- slmgr -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (enter your MAK product key after ipk)
- Hit Enter and wait for the command to take effect.
Method 3: Configure a KMS host server
KMS activation errors often occur because there is no valid KMS server for your clients to activate against. In this case, you need to install and activate a KMS server. Once you’ve set up a computer to host the KMS software, you can go ahead and publish the Domain Name System (DNS) settings.
For detailed information on the steps to follow, you can check out the following Microsoft support pages:
- Install a KMS host on a Windows Server 2008-based computer
- Install KMS Hosts
- Deploy KMS Activation
- Volume activation in Windows Server 2008
- Planning for Volume Activation in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
Method 4: Create a KMS SRV record in MS DNS server
Here’s what you can do if your client cannot locate a KMS host on the network:
- Verify that your the KMS host is installed and has been activated with a KMS key registered in DNS.
- Verify the registry to make sure the KMS host server is registering with DNS.
For a step-by-step guide, go to Microsoft’s support page.
Additionally, you can also assign a KMS server manually. If this action didn’t help, you can automatically publish KMS in multiple DNS domains.
Now, if you’re one of these specific error codes: 0xC004C001, 0xC004C003, 0xC004C008, 0xC004B100, 0xC004C020, 0xC004C021, 0xC004F009, 0xC004F00F, 0xC004F014, 0xC004F02C, 0xC004F035, 0xC004F038, 0xC004F039, 0xC004F041, 0xC004F042, 0xC004F050, 0xC004F051, 0xC004F064, 0xC004F065 , 0xC004F06C, 0x80070005, 0x8007232A, 0x8007232B, 0x800706BA, 0x8007251D, 0xC004F074, 0x8004FE21, 0x80092328 or 0x8007007b, you can use the solutions listed in this troubleshooting guide from Microsoft.
FAQ: Read more about KMS activation
- How do I troubleshoot KMS activation issues?
Tweak the SoftwareProtectionPlatform settings, use a MAK product key instead, configure a KMS host server and create a KMS SRV record in MS DNS server. These are the big steps that you should perform in order to solve this problem.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in January 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.