- Windows uses the Location Services to better customize its range of adds and pop-ups based on your region.
- The Location Services tool can sometimes show false-positive alert messages, and this article will be covering several steps that you need to take when that happens.
- This article is part of our dedicated hub for fixing Location Errors on Windows 10, so check it out since you may need it again.
- Visit our dedicated Windows Services section for more interesting articles that you may like.
The Windows 10 systems, like any other Windows OS, are usually used with a permanent network connection enabled. In this way you can have access to Windows Store from where you can download and install various apps and you can also stay in touch with everything that’s new.
Anyway, since you are using an Internet connection, you might be prompted with the following message or alert:
Your Location has Recently Been Accessed.
What does this mean? Should you worry about something? Well, first of all you should know that you have no reasons for getting worried. This is a normal message that is often displayed on Windows 10 platforms and is caused by the apps that are installed on your device.
So, basically after installing a tool like the weather gadget or any other app that is accessing your location trough network connection, you might periodically get the Your location has recently been accessed alert.
Now, even though you shouldn’t worry about the same, the message might become quite annoying at some point.
So, you will want to remove the same or to resolve this issue. In that matter, you can anytime check the guidelines from below which will easily take you through the troubleshooting process.
How do I fix the Your location has recently been accessed alert?
1. Turn off location
- Go to your Start Screen.
- From there, press Wind + C keyboard keys.
- Click on Settings from the window that will be displayed on your device.
- Then go towards Change PC settings.
- From the left panel of your window, click on Privacy.
- Also pick Location.
- And now just turn off the location access service and you are done.
2. Clear location information
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Location
- Scroll down to Location History > click on the Clear button
3. Control which apps can access your location
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Location
- If location is enabled, go to ‘Choose apps that can use your precise location‘
- Simply toggle off the apps that you want to limit from accessing location information
That’s how you can turn off location service on Windows 10 computers.
FAQ: Learn more about Windows LocationServices
- What is Windows Location Service?
It is a manner through which Windows 10 determines your position on the globe for advertising purposes as well as content customization
- Does deactivating my location affect my experience with using Windows?
Windows uses your location in order to make sure you cannot access region-locked content.
- Is there any way I can take advantage of the Windows Location Services?
With the proper tools, such as a good VPN, you will be able to view content that those in your actual region could not otherwise.
So, from now on you won’t get the Your location has recently been accessed alert, though there might be some apps that will no longer run properly on your device – the tools that are requiring info related to your location.
If you’ve got additional tips and suggestions related to this post, let us know in the comments below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in May 2014 and was revamped and updated in June 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.