- Drivers are key programs that connect your computer to the devices attached to your machine.
- Driver issues are very common on Windows 10 devices, affecting many Windows components to the point where users refuse to upgrade their OS.
- If you own an old sturdy HP laptop, you need to install the Mediatek 802.11 wireless LAN adapter driver in order to be able to connect to the Internet. In this guide, we'll show where you can download this driver and how to install it on your computer.
- This guide is part of our larger hub dedicated to computer drivers. Feel free to visit it for more handy tips.
Driver issues are right there at the top of the reasons why users refuse to upgrade to Windows 10. A lot of folks use outdated devices (by these modern standards which are unrealistic), and the transition has its price.
A lot of old and sturdy HP laptops use Ralink Wireless adapters, which don’t support Windows 10. Those are known for drivers issues in Windows 10, preventing the laptop to connect to the Wi-Fi network in the process.
We all know that in the absence of the proper software support, even the most functional hardware provides a lackluster experience.
Luckily, there’s a way to fix this issue with HP notebooks. We offered the explanation below.
Also, you can keep using Windows 7 forever, in case you have this operating system. How, you may ask? This is as easy as breathing with our complete guide!
Install Ralink 802.11bgn 1t1r wireless adapter driver
In order to obtain this rare driver, you should forget about the HP Assistant tool or Windows 10 Update.
The problem is that the driver you’re using is recognized as the latest iteration by those two. They’ll avoid updating since the current driver is probably asserted as the latest one.
That’s, of course, valid for some users while others won’t be able to connect to Wi-Fi. You’ll need to download and install the driver manually. Once you’ve installed it, it should enable you to connect via Wi-Fi again.
The driver we provided below supports both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 10 architecture. These are the supported adapters:
- Ralink RT3090 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
- Ralink RT3290 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
- 802.11n Wireless PCI Express Card LAN Adapter
- Ralink RT3592 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi Adapter
- Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
- Mediatec MT7630E 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter
- Ralink RT5390R 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
How to install the driver
Here’s how to do it in a few simple steps:
- Download and extract Ralink Mediatec WLAN driver, from HP’s official website.
- Right-click on the Start button and open Device Manager.
- Click on the View in the menu and check the ”Show hidden devices” option.
- Expand Network adapters.
- Right-click on the WLAN driver and open Properties.
- Under the Driver tab, click Update driver.
- Click on ‘Browse my computer for driver software‘
- Use Browse to navigate to the extracted Ralink Mediatec driver and select it.
- Click Next and wait until the driver is installed.
- Restart your PC and look for changes.
That’s it. If you’re still unable to connect, we advise you to inspect the hardware and, if the Wi-Fi radio is faulty, replace it accordingly. You might need the help of the professional, so have that in mind.
Also, a viable alternative is an external Wi-Fi USB adapter. They’re affordable and should come cheaper than the replacement of the outdated hardware. Check out our list to make the wisest decision!
If you’re another HP user in trouble, don’t forget to share your experience or post questions in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Mediatek adapter drivers
- What is a MediaTek wireless LAN card?
A Mediatek wireless LAN card is a network adapter hardware component that equips rather old computers allowing them to connect to the Internet using 802.11 communication standards. Mediatek network cards need specific Windows drivers to function properly.
- What is an 802.11n USB wireless LAN card?
There are several wireless LAN communication standards, and the 802.11n standard is one of the most popular. This standard guarantees constant WLAN speed and a reliable connection.
- How do I update my Ralink wireless driver?
Follow these steps to update your Ralink wireless driver:
- Launch the Device Manager
- Select your Ralink wireless card
- Select the Driver tab
- Click on Update driver to install the latest Ralink driver updates.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in January 2018 and has since been updated for freshness and accuracy.