- Getting the black screen crash for the Metro Exodus game will stop you from playing normally.
- To start fixing this issue, check out the steps described below.
- Don't hesitate to bookmark our extensive Fix section for other easy-to-follow guides.
- You can check out even more Windows gaming articles at our Gaming Hub.
For some players, the screen goes blank just after the intro or launching the game. As a consequence, those players can’t get Metro Exodus up and running.
How can I fix the Metro Exodus black screen problem?
1. Metro Exodus black screen after intro
Rename Metro files
- Open File Explorer with the Windows key + E keyboard shortcut.
- Steam users will need to open this path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Metro Exodus
- Epic Games users should open the folder:
C:\Program Files\Epic Games\Metro Exodus
- Then search for these game files in your Metro Exodus folder:
Intro.webm Legal.webm Credits.webm
- Edit those file titles by right-clicking them, selecting Rename, and entering .old at the end of the file name. The files should be intro.webma.old, legal.webm.old, credits.webm.old.
Restart Metro in Safe Mode
- Press the Alt + F4 hotkey when the Metro screen goes blank.
- Next, right-click your taskbar and select Task Manager to open the window shown directly below.
- Right-click the Metro.Exodus.exe to select its End task option.
- Click End process on the dialog box window to terminate the game.
- Click Yes on Metro Exodus dialog box to open the game in safe mode.
- Next, click the Options box.
- Select Video to open the options shown directly below.
- Select the DX 11 (DirectX 11) option.
2. Metro Exodus black screen on launch
Run in window mode
- Press the Alt + Enter hotkey when Exodus starts.
- Select Options > Video to open the game’s graphical settings.
- Next, select a resolution for the game that matches your Windows desktop’s resolution.
3. Metro Exodus screen flash
Lower resolution with the benchmark utility
- Open this Steam folder:
C:\Steam Games\steamapps\common\Metro Exodus\
- Open Benchmark.exe.
- Lower your resolution configuration for the game with the benchmark utility.
These are some of the confirmed fixes for Exodus’ blank screen issue. Hopefully, future patch updates for Exodus will fix the above bugs.
In the meanwhile, don’t hesitate to share your experience with us by using the comment section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Metro Exodus’ black screen crashes
- Will updating the graphics card driver fix the game’s black screen crashes?
Updating the GPU driver is not a confirmed fix. However, you should certainly update your graphics card driver if it needs updating.
- Will disabling third-party antivirus utilities help fix the issue?
Third-party antivirus software can conflict with Windows games. So, it might be a good idea to do so before launching Metro Exodus.
- Where and how can I get in touch with game support for Metro Exodus?
Click the Contact Us button on the Koch Media Support page for Metro Exodus.