A number of users have reported that whenever they open a Microsoft Word document, it opens in a small window. This issue seems to affect all versions of Microsoft Word, so this indicated that the problem is local.
Here is what one user had to say about this issue on Microsoft Answers:
I just got a computer with Windows 7 and Office 2010 (Standard). Whenever I open a word document, the window is about a third of the full-screen size. I have to either click in the upper-right corner, or type alt-spacebar-x. Since I will never, ever want to work in a tiny cramped window, I’m going to have to do this every time I open a document, for no purpose.Is there anything I can do to reset Word so that it opens a full-size window by default? Thanks
For these reasons, in this article, we will explore a quick way to fix this annoying error. Read on to find out more.
How do I get Microsoft Word to open full screen?
1. Change settings from the properties window
- Click on Cortana search button -> type in Word -> right-click it -> select Open file location.
- This will open the folder in which your Microsoft Word is installed.
- Right-click the Microsoft Word icon -> select Properties.
- Inside the Shortcut tab -> click on the drop-down menu next to Run -> select Maximized -> click OK.
- Check to see if this fixes your problem. If it doesn’t, please follow the next method.
2. Maximize window before closing Word
- Open your Word Document normally.
- Drag and drop the edges of the Word document to the desired size (or maximize it by clicking the Maximize button).
- Close the document.
- When opening the document again, it should have remembered the size that the window had before it was closed.
- If this doesn’t solve your issue, please follow the next method.
3. Use the Ctrl key on your keyboard
- Open your Microsoft Word document.
- Resize the window to the desired size by dragging and dropping the edges of the window, or by selecting the Maximize button (see Method 2 step 2).
- Press and hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard -> close the Word document by clicking the X button in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Re-open the Microsoft Word document to see if the issue is solved.
In this article, we explored the best ways to deal with the problem caused by Microsoft Word opening in a small window no matter what settings you applied to it before closing the document.
Please feel free to let us know if any of these methods helped you solve your issue by using the comment section below.