Users have reported encountering this error message The module mscomctl.ocx failed to load when they try restarting their domain on Windows Server. This error can cause a lot of problems as not being able to restart the service also means you can’t get access to the data stored on your server.
This error message appears when multiple applications are using the same .ocx file. When one of the apps is removed from your PC, then the .ocx file gets is removed as well. This error code also appears when the incorrect .ocx file is being used, or placed in the wrong directory.
In this article, we will explore a quick fix relating to this issue. Please follow the steps written here carefully to make sure the problem will be solved quickly.
How to fix The module mscomctl.ocx failed to load error?
1. Replace the MSCOMCTL.OCX file
In order to avoid the error message we described above, it is recommended that you replace the file you’re using with another version of the same file. Follow these steps to perform this action:
- Download the MSCOMCTL.OCX from this link.
- Move the .ocx file to the location of the program you’re having issues with.
- If step 2 doesn’t solve the issue, move the MSCOMCTL.OCX file to the system directory (C:\Windows\System32).
- Check to see if this fixes your issue.
- If the issue persists, please follow the next method.
2. Register your MSCOMCTL.OCX using PowerShell(Admin)
- First, move the MSCOMCTL.OCX file to the following location: C:\Windows\sysWOW64
- Press Win+X keys on your keyboard -> select PowerShell (Admin).
- Inside the PowerShell window, type the following command: regsvr32 c:\windows\sysWOW64\mscomct2.ocx
- Press Enter and wait for the process to complete.
In this guide, we explored the reasons for which this error message appears, and then we found 2 methods that will surely help you move past this problem.
We would love to know if this guide helped you solve your issue. Please feel free to let us know if it did by using the comment section found below.
- Windows Server 2016 start and update buttons often don’t work
- How can I fix Server execution failed error on Chrome?
- Error 421 cannot connect to SMTP server in Outlook [EXPERT FIX]