- Mordhau is a popular, multiplayer medieval hack'n'slash first/third-person video game. You get a proper weapon and start hacking away at your enemies.
- However, this game is subject to the same technical issues as any other online service. In this article, we're going to focus on packet loss, given that it's one of the most unsettling problems.
- Check out the best VPNs to improve your ping and gameplay.
- Visit our Gaming Hub to discover more awesome guides, reviews, and tips & tricks.
Mordhau is a popular, multiplayer medieval hack’n’slash first/third-person video game. Wow, that’s a rich description. Anyway, imagine you’re on a medieval battlefield with a proper weapon in your hand.
You have to hack your way through your enemies and survive. Although you might think it’s easy, playing the game will show you that you’re so, so wrong.
Aside from it still needing some improvement combat-wise, you’ll face technical challenges that any other online service puts you through. And that’s more annoying than any hit-and-miss bug you’ll encounter in Mordhau.
Packet loss is still one of the most unwanted issues you might experience in online games. Next to jitter, high ping, and random disconnections, packet loss can easily ruin your game experience in just a few moments.
What is packet loss in Mordhau?
In Mordhau, packet loss is when data bits (packets) you send or receive never make it to their destination. Realistically speaking, packet loss is quite the same regardless of where you encounter it.
This phenomenon might actually slip unnoticed if it happens briefly or doesn’t have a pattern. However, leaking packets leads to other, more noticeable problems in-game.
Mordhau packet loss issues:
- High latency
- Connection timeouts, drops, disconnections
How to fix Mordhau packet loss?
1. Use a VPN
- Download Private Internet Access and install it on your computer
- Launch it and log into your PIA account
- Choose a server and connect to it
- Launch Mordhau and check if you still leak packets (you’ll know instantly)
Private Internet Access is a great all-round VPN product from Kape Technologies. It has passed all of our tests successfully and offers you 24/7 live chat support.
Private Internet Access
Battling high packet loss in Mordhau? PIA can lend you a helping hand.
However, note that using a VPN is not a magic fix. Instead, it can take care of the situation only if the problem is on your ISP’s side. Thus, if you leak packets on your home network or if the game server loses packets, using a VPN might only complicate things further.
2. Perform manual troubleshooting of your network
- Use our comprehensive guide to run a complete packet loss test
- Notice the hops with ping spikes (packet leaks)
- Take the necessary measures to fix the issue according to the test results
If the method above is a bit confusing, we’ll clarify it in a jiffy. For starters, packet loss can occur in one of the following locations:
- On your home network and its components (PC, router, cables, console, home line)
- Your ISP’s network/servers (the one that starts where your home line ends)
- The network distribution company (the one above your ISP)
- Mordhau’s game servers
If you’re familiar with all of the potential locations, we can keep moving. As we’ve said before, depending on the location, you’ll need to take a different action. Namely:
- Check/repair/upgrade/update/replace any faulty component on your home network
- Give a call to your ISP if you notice anything wrong on its side
- Ask your ISP to call the network distribution company if you notice packet loss on the hops between the ISP and Mordhau server (final hop)
- Contact Mordhau’s customer support and let someone know about the packet loss situation
More often than not, the situation will fix itself. However, you might want to check if there’s something you can do to alleviate the issue, just to be sure.
Mordhau packet loss situations can be fixed
To wrap it up, if you experience packet loss in Mordhau, there might be something you can do about it. However, more often than not, packet loss occurs suddenly and doesn’t last for long, so chances are you won’t even notice it.
However, if you notice prolonged packet leaks or a pattern, you might want to step in. Keep in mind that using a VPN won’t work all the time, especially not if you leak packets on your home network, or if there’s something wrong with the Mordhau game servers.
On the other hand, having a VPN can save you from a lot of headaches. It can give you a privacy boost, secure your connection, and help you bypass geo-restrictions without significant efforts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Use a VPN such as PIA if you suspect your ISP is throttling your bandwidth or turns a blind eye to network congestion. Try using a wired connection instead of a wireless one.
Yes, using a VPN can improve your latency most of the time. Check out our best VPNs to improve your ping and gameplay.
Network congestion is often the culprit when it comes to packet loss in Mordhau. However, it can be caused by other factors as well, such as improper network configuration, low-quality hardware components, and even ISP bandwidth throttling.