If you want to move your GOG games from the current location to another hard-drive, you just found the perfect guide.
This situation usually occurs when you have installed your beloved GOG games to a hard-drive on your PC, and you’re either running out of space, or you want to perform a complete migration of the games to another hard-drive for safe-keeping.
The exact steps required in order for you to be able to perform this task will vary depending on the mode in which you installed your GOG games.
The difference in these situations will be caused by the exact way in which you installed the games. You could have chosen to install the games by running the installer files normally, or by using a GOG installer like Galaxy.
In this guide we will discuss all the possible options, and what you can do about it.
Please read on to find out what are the best steps to take depending on your specific situation.
How can I move my GOG games to another drive?
Note: If you’re using Galaxy, the save game file is usually backed up in the cloud. Nonetheless, no matter what software you’re using, it is recommended that you back them up before trying out these methods.
If you installed the games via Galaxy:
- Navigate to the location of your game folder.
- Right-click the folder that contains your games -> click Copy.
- Navigate to the location of your new hard drive -> create a folder for the games -> right-click an empty space inside it -> select Paste.
- Open Galaxy -> uninstall the game/games you moved.
- Click the GOG COM logo found at the top left of your screen -> select the Scan and Import option.
- Once this process is completed, Galaxy will also repair the game.
Note: If the repair process doesn’t start automatically, you can start it yourself by clicking on More -> Manage Installation -> verify/repair.
If you installed your games with the site installer
In the case that you don’t use a GOG game installer, there are two possible options:
- you have the game installers downloaded already
- you don’t have the game installers downloaded (you will need to re-download them)
If you find yourself in the first situation mentioned above, then you can simply follow the steps 1 to 3 from the first method.
Note: It is worth mentioning that some errors may occur by performing the move in this style, as the Scan and Import option will not be available in order to repair registry entries, etc.
If this method doesn’t make your game runs properly, then you will have to uninstall, and then re-install them to the desired location.
In today’s how-to guide we talked about the best solutions to apply in the situation that you want to move your GOG installed games to a new hard-drive.
Please feel free to let us know if this guide has proven useful to you.
You can do so by using the comment section found in this article.