How to Create a Desktop Shortcut for GOG Galaxy Games
With a simple Settings tweak, all your games will be installed with desktop shortcuts
- GOG Galaxy Games were very popular back in the day, and gamers worldwide still love them.
- If your newly installed GOG games don't have a desktop shortcut, you can change this via Settings.
- Access the app's settings and configure it to create desktop shortcuts every time it installs games.
GOG.com (formerly Good Old Games) is a digital distribution platform for video games, but also films.
It specializes in the distribution of older titles, hence the name, but it also deals with new ones as well.
What sets GOG apart from other similar platforms such as Steam or Epic Store is that the Games are DRM-free.
GOG also lets you download a client from where you can manage your game library.
This client is known as GOG Galaxy, and it boasts plenty of neat features.
However, some users have been wondering about some of the features that seem to be hidden from plain sight:
Just a quick question. Is there a way to create a shortcut for a game i’ve downloaded from Galaxy? I know that if you download the game from GOG’s website it automatically adds a shortcut to your desktop, but is there a way to do this with Galaxy?
While the games you downloaded could easily be accessible from the GOG Galaxy library, some people still seem to prefer the good old-fashioned icon on the desktop.
How can I create a desktop shortcut for GOG Galaxy titles?
Normally, when you download a game via GOG, you should be prompted in the download location screen whether you’d like a desktop shortcut or not as well.
However, you can set GOG Galaxy to create desktop shortcuts for all the games you download as a default feature.
1. Open GOG Galaxy.
2. Click on GOG.com. It is located in the upper-left corner of the screen.
3. Choose Settings from the list.
4. Select the Downloads tab.
5. Check the box next to the Create shortcut on desktop field.
6. Close the window when you are done. The change should now apply to all future games you will download.
Remember that uninstalling GOG Galaxy will NOT uninstall the games you downloaded through it.
What are some other good game distribution platforms?
If you don’t like GOG, you should give other digital game distribution platforms a shot, such as Epic Games or Steam.
More so, all of them have massive sales that rotate on a weekly basis, with mega sales happening during Summer and Winter.
Some publishers, such as Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, or Rockstar Games have their own proprietary clients, namely Origin, Uplay, and the Rockstar Games Launcher.
We hope you managed to create desktop shortcuts for your favorite GOG Galaxy games. Let us know what you think about our article in the comments section below.