- If you want to create and record good rap music, then you'll need a good audio editor to go with it.
- In fact, this advice applies to all music genres, not just rap.
- Check out our dedicated Music Software hub for more guides on similar topics.
- For more fantastic articles like this one, check out our dedicated Audio page.
Having the best music software for rappers is a must to produce an excellent song. For any type of music genre, particularly rap and hip-hop, the lyrics beat and rhythm plays a pivotal role. No audience-grabbing opportunity or top being at the music chart without the best music making software ever.
Now, the lists of music software mentioned in this review are suitable for beginners, intermediate and expert beat makers. But note that the music production software listed in this guide, however, covers only those that are Windows 10 compatible.
The word Rap is supposedly an acronym for Rhythm and Poetry, and you can’t maintain a good rhythm and tempo without an ear for music and some good software, and that is precisely why Adobe Audition is at the top of our list.
This digital audio workstation has all the tools that a singer, songwriter or music producer will ever need, and not just for rap, for pretty much every musical genre.
Study the sound quality of your recordings, remove all imperfections, clear the music of any background noises, all of this can be accomplished form this great program.
Admittedly, this isn’t a program that could be considered entry-level, but those with minim experience editing and mixing audio will get the hang of it quickly.
Normally, such a professional tool would only be available behind a hefty price tag, but Adobe Audition can now be downloaded and tested for free.
Here are some of the pros of using Adobe Audition:
- Multitrack support
- Handles pretty much every kind of audio file format
- Professional-level audio editing tools
- Makes it easy to go back and edit already-completed projects
- Projects made with older versions of Audition are compatible between each other
When looking for an excellent digital audio workstation (DAW), FL Studio 12 presents the best out there in the market. Particular for those trying to get a grip or hone their beat making skill, FL Studio sure is the way to go.
FL Studio is a popular brand with over a decade electronic dance music (EDM) making experience. It’s most suitable for rap sessions due to excellent features with standard protocols for even beginners.
With a little practice, reading through manuals and videos getting started mixing music beat shouldn’t take any longer.
The most recent versions offer over 30 synth software from its robust loop library to make a professional track making possible.
A beginner can start learning with the free version of the music software before upgrading to the full version. The FL Studio 12 slight limitation with editing features and little perks with effect plugins.
It, however, still qualifies as the overall best buy for the best music software for rappers. Available FL studio video tutorials make learning easier.
Key FL Studio features:
- Easy to navigate and user-friendly DAW for cut and paste (editing), time-stretch, pitch shifting, correction, etc.
- It includes Producer edition for recording vocals and instruments. Use the MIDI keyboard and microphone to record, edit and mix.
- Offers free lifetime updates, meaning no more purchase of upgrade license and additional value for money.
- One of the best and innovative DAW – customizable, multi-touch support, easy to resize, etc.
Thus, if you want to be part fo the new wave of musicians that are reaching out to people’s hearts and ears, then you need some really good software.
Samplitude Pro X4 is a great software tool that will bring your music mixing and recording game
to a whole new level.
With professional effects, efficient editing functions, as well as a powerful audio engine, this software continues to set new standards in the professional audio sector.
What makes it so great is the fact that it covers all aspects of music production, from recording and editing to music production, all the way to mixing and mastering to give your songs the finishing touches.
- Recording, production, mixing and mastering in a single DAW Highest audio quality for recording studio tasks
- Automation Lanes for optimal control and overview of track automation data
- Plug-in browser for quick searches for effects and instruments
- Improved performance: Samplitude now supports CPUs with up to 32 cores
- New MIDI editing functions and improved MIDI workflow
- 17 virtual instruments and Independence Pro Plus sampler full version
Acid Pro 8 offers beat makers a professional platform for expressing their musical creativity. Magix Software GmbH brings over 20 years’ experience in music software production to play in the Acid Pro 8.
The free trial version helps even beginners to try out in using one of the best music software for rappers. Acid Pro 8 is the most recent music software released by the company.
It allows for easy multi-track recording, looping with exceptional MIDI features using the all-new Graphics User Interface.
The Acid Pro 365 is for more experienced beat makers. With regular practice, an intermediate player should be good to go Pro!
Key ACID Pro features:
- Excellent Version 8 easy to navigate GUI to an awesome music making experience.
- Processes at least 16 new instruments using the world-class audio-MIDI function.
- Customizable and responsive channels for the record, play, edit and mix.
- Introduction of additional 13 music effect plugins.
- Introduction of VST3 support to boost beat making.
- Up to 9 GB available loop library.
Cubase is a respectable brand popular amongst renowned music makers and arguably one of the best music software for rappers.
Cubase offers a digital audio workstation with versatility, great sound quality, a range of top-notch tools for music production. Steinberg includes its signature key in the Cubase for a touch of professional sound mixing.
The Cubase signature key comes with advanced drum editor and score functions for manual editing of MIDI tracks. Cubase is more suitable for advanced players and will take some handling to master.
Key features include:
- Unlimited audio-MIDI tracks
- A robust sound library (about the biggest).
- Advanced plugins and reverb effects.
- Easy to edit (drag and drop), correct.
- Can record as much as 24 extra instruments
- 30 drum kit Groove Agent SE4
- Construction kit for EMD and LoopMash FX
Ableton Live has been around for close to two decades providing a great platform for music producers and rappers to explore their creativity. Several unique features make the Ableton Live one of the best music software for rappers.
And intermediate and professional rap music producers and beat makers should find the Ableton Live seamless to work with.
However, because of the simple design and easy to use tools even a beginner can grow on the Ableton Live. It has an advanced drum rack plugins in the Introversion that makes laying multiple samples on the 16-pad grid great.
You can record samples, adjust tempo and more at very low cost while learning the ropes. But it’s also an exceptional tool for live performance with little or no glitches.
Key features include:
- Unlimited audio-MIDI track.
- Excellent user interface with easy software navigation.
- A stress-free connection between MIDI, software, and hardware music instruments.
- Seamless editing, cut, and paste functions with workflow improvements.
- Advanced synth plug-ins and electronic drums for intuitive sound handling.
- Different versions are suitable for each experience level plus budget considerations.
- A rich 23 sound library and 50 GB of sound.
Presonus Studio is popular amongst Presonus Studio offers nothing less than studio-grade music sounds like the best music software for rappers. Some of the exceptional tools inclusive for the Studio One DAW experience include the AudioBox iTwo audio interface.
AudioBox iTwo is an add-on that makes the workstation an exciting experience. It allows for easy navigation, drag-and-drop functions, and more to create smooth seamless sound and reverb effects.
It has a little perk though when it concerns aesthetics and overall outlook but an intriguing workflow experience.
- Comprehensive Audio Box iTwo audio interface for easy manipulation.
- Unlimited track making capabilities
- Multiple functionalities – VST, buses, FX channels, MIDI, Melodyne, etc.
- Studio-standard sound quality from a 64-bit sound engine.
- Mastering integration tool for beginners
When searching for the best music software for rappers it’s always best to work with tools that make learning easier. As one advances with using the music software then it would be okay to move to more advanced recording software.
Using the best music beginner software guide can be quite helpful in making purchase decisions too. Intermediate or advanced music producers shouldn’t find these music making software so difficult to learn.
One to two years mastery could be enough before making the decision for a Pro music maker.
FAQ: Learn more about audio editors
- What is the best audio editor?
For all intents and purposes, the best audio editor currently on the market has to be Adobe Audition. of course, there are other great similar tools out there as well.
- Can I download any free professional audio editors?
You can apply for a free 7-day trial of Adobe Audition during which you can use the program without restrictions.
- Are audio editors big?
It all depends on how complex the audio editor is. If you are concerned about disk space, there are also some online audio editors that you can try.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.