Network security consists of the provisions and policies adopted by a network administrator to prevent and monitor unauthorized access, misuse, modification, or denial of a computer network and network-accessible resources.
What are the types of network security?
Network security involves the authorization of access to data in a network, which is controlled by the network administrator. Not every user should have access to your network. To keep out potential attackers, you need to recognize each user and each device using dedicated tools for network access control.
- Antivirus and antimalware software. Here is all you need to know about antivirus software.
- Application security. Any software application may be vulnerable to attackers that can use it to infiltrate your network.
– Find the best network security antivirus to use for your business.
- Email security and anti-spam techniques.
- Firewalls create a barrier between your trusted internal network and untrusted outside networks. Find out more on firewall and protect your network.
- VPN – virtual private network encrypts the connection from an endpoint to a network, often over the Internet
- Web security refers to the steps you take to protect your own website. Here are 5 of the best website security software to control your staff’s web use, block web-based threats, and deny access to malicious websites.
- Mobile device security can be enhanced using a good antivirus software with encryption.
- Wireless security is the prevention of unauthorized access or damage to computers using wireless networks. The most common types of wireless security are Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) and Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA). WEP is a notoriously weak security standard.
This is what you need to consider when you are looking for the best security type for a wireless network. WiFi security methods available on routers nowadays can be listed from best to worst like this:
- WPA2 + AES
- WPA + AES
- WPA + TKIP/AES (TKIP is there as a fallback method)
- WPA + TKIP
- Open Network (no security at all)
We recommend you to deactivate Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) and set the router to WPA2 +AES. When you choose a security type down the list, be mindful that it gets less secure. If you are interested, you can find here 3 best Wi-Fi encryption software to protect sensitive data. Find out more about Wi-Fi security in these articles:
- How to protect your Windows 10 device on a public Wi-Fi network
- The 15 best firewall devices to protect your home network
- How to hide your IP address when using WiFi
- 3 best VPNs without registration
- 4 of the best antivirus with Wi-Fi protection
- 5 best Wi-Fi hotspot software for Windows 10
What are the network security basics?
The fundamental practice to protect the environment and outgoing/incoming communications is to secure network devices. When we talk about network devices, we refer to routers, firewalls, gateways, switches, hubs, and so on. These network devices create the infrastructure of local area networks and the global network aka the Internet.
Using a VPN on your Windows Server has a lot of advantages for all parties included and it allows users in a small environment access to […]
The Windows 10 Action Center includes Quick Action buttons that provide shortcuts for adjusting settings. For example, users can press the Tablet mode button to […]