Fix NTFS_File_System Error on Windows 10
Windows 10 brings a lot of tweaks and fixes to Windows 8 that frankly should have been part of Windows 8 from the beginning. Unfortunately, these tweaks and fixes come at the cost of upgrading – a process known for the various problems it causes.
Releasing an operating system for free isn’t something we often get to see. Apple started doing it a few years ago, but Windows 10 was the first operating system distributed for free by Microsoft. The problem lies in how it was distributed – you have to upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 to be eligible for the free copy of Windows 10.
Upgrading – while simple for the user – is very complicated for the developers, as there are thousands of lines of codes that have to be changed and if even one setting was not reset properly or was not accounted for, it could cause some massive troubles for the user.
One of such troubles is the NTFS_File_System blue screen error. BSOD’s happen when the operating system has nowhere else to go – it has tried everything it could and simply cannot handle the error. A BSOD is an unhandled exception, and sometimes figuring out what is exactly causing this error can get quite a bit tricky. Here, we are going to attempt to fix this error in hope of recovering the operating system.
Fix The NTFS_File_System Error on Windows 10
- Check your disk for errors
- Clean boot your computer
- Use the Media Creation Tool
- Format your driver & reinstall Windows
1. Check your disk for errors
If the disk where you installed Windows 10 is corrupted, you may get various error codes when booting up your computer. You can quickly check your disk for errors with the help of a specific command that you can run in Command Prompt.
- Go to Start > type cmd > launch Command Prompt
- Enter the chkdsk C: /f command and hit Enter. Replace C with the letter of your hard drive partition where you installed the OS.
- To fix the errors and repair physical issues, you need to run a second command. Enter the chkdsk C: /r as well.
2. Clean boot your computer
Software compatibility issues may also trigger the NTFS_File_System error. You can fix this problem by performing a clean boot and start Windows with minimal set of drivers.
- Go to Start > type msconfig > hit Enter to launch System Configuration
- Go to the General tab > select Selective startup > uncheck Load startup items
- Go to the Services tab > check Hide all Microsoft services > click Disable all
- Click Apply > click OK > Restart your computer.
3. Run SFC scan
If certain system files are missing or are corrupted, you can use the System File Checker tool to fix the problem. All you need to do is this:
- Go to Start > type cmd and launch Command Prompt as administrator.
- In the new Command Promp window, enter the sfc /scannow command
- Wait until the scanning process completes and then restart your computer
3. Use the Media Creation Tool
- You need to download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft, to do so follow this link.
- Once you have the Media Creation Tool, open it and select the “create installation media for another PC”.
- Then select the appropriate architecture, language and edition for the PC you need to fix and start the download, if you don’t know what you need to pick contact someone who can help. Perhaps your computer manufacturer, because these settings depend on the type of computer you have.
- Once you have selected the correct version etc, select ISO file or USB flash drive depending on whether you want to make a bootable DVD or a bootable USB stick, then click Next and wait for it to finish downloading and creating the bootable media.
- Once you have the bootable DVD or USB, restart your PC and boot with it – note that in some cases you might need to goto your BIOS and change your boot priority settings.
- Once you are in the Windows setup, click Next and click on “Troubleshoot”, then click “Advanced Options”.
- In Advanced Options, click “Startup Repair” and simply follow the onscreen instructions from there. It might restart your PC if it needs to do so in order to repair your Windows installation.
Doing this should fix most of your issues with Windows – it will repair any corrupted files and fix most of the errors caused by any misconfiguration. If for some reason it does not help, you could using similar steps also try a System Image Recovery using the new Windows installation files present in your bootable drive – though that will most likely not help if Startup Repair failed.
4. Format your driver & reinstall Windows
You also always have the option to simply format your drive and reinstall Windows. Windows 10 saves the license information in the cloud and your key is linked to your PC, thus reinstalling Windows should still give you your free copy of Windows 10 – if you have already upgraded once.
Since we already downloaded the correct installation files for Windows using the Media Creation Tool, you already have most of the work done for you – but do remember to backup your data before wiping off your previous Windows installation, as reinstalling Windows will delete all of your data and settings, unlike an upgrade.
For more information on how to reinstall Windows, check out the articles listed below:
- The Refresh Windows tool reinstalls Windows without ISO
- Can’t install Windows 10 on your computer? Fix it with these solutions
- How to download and install Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
We hope that the solutions listed in this article helped you fix the NTFS_File_System error for good. If you’ve got additional tips and suggestions on how to fix this error, you can list the troubleshooting steps in the comments below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: ‘Setup was Unable to Use the Existing Partition’
- How to fix Dism.exe error 1392 on your Windows computer
- Fix: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR in Windows 10
Many Aventail VPN users have encountered the error message Aventail VPN is not connecting. This problem seems to occur no matter how the VPN service […]
Have you ever received Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties message from Windows when you were trying to move […]
The error You do not have the necessary privilege to create new virtual machines appears in the cases in which the user doesn’t have enough […]